Captain
# 11
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm curious how removing visual scenery, accurate or not, would make a game set in a fictional universe better? It would certainly make it less interesting, but I don't see that as an improvement.
Rihannsu
# 12
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I'm curious how removing visual scenery, accurate or not, would make a game set in a fictional universe better? It would certainly make it less interesting, but I don't see that as an improvement.
I agree with this sentiment.

The Oort cloud is made out of chunks of ice and rocks. I'm sure they would be visible if you were close enough. Truth is... we couldn't see asteroids with a telescope if they were floating through deep space. We might notice their existence if one drifted between the telescope and a star, but we wouldn't know what it was.

Our solar system's Oort Cloud [probably] stretches halfway to the nearest solar system. what does that tell us about the universe as a whole? Maybe "deep space" is full of rocks?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 13
12-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Black space is boring to look at. What bugs me more about all these background nebulae is that they aren't on any sector maps.

The one place where they did this right is Tau Dewa, where the dominating background nebula in ALL systems is the Azure nebula. I look forward to all future sector blocks getting a similar treatment.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I prefer "boring" stars on a black background. Also there is faaarrrr to much illumination on your ship. It does get very annoying
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Commander
# 15
12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
... and the point being missed which is even more important:

Nebulae are IMMENSE star nurseries. Some are MILLIONS of light years across. None of them are small enough to swirl around BETWEEN a planet and it's moon.

Every time I read mission text that refers to "hiding in the Nebula" I almost wretch. The dust in a Nebula is so sparse that the it would not make a good hiding place. It also wouldn't "interfere" with sensors or anything similar as we regularly with our current technology observe things through and past Nebulae.

Small coulds of dust like those claiming the title of Nebulae in this game would be quickly sucked into the gravity well of the nearest large asteroid or planet and .... yeah ... I better stop now.
Rihannsu
# 16
12-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguitar View Post

Nebulae are IMMENSE star nurseries. Some are MILLIONS of light years across. None of them are small enough to swirl around BETWEEN a planet and it's moon.

Every time I read mission text that refers to "hiding in the Nebula" I almost wretch. The dust in a Nebula is so sparse that the it would not make a good hiding place. It also wouldn't "interfere" with sensors or anything similar as we regularly with our current technology observe things through and past Nebulae.

Small coulds of dust like those claiming the title of Nebulae in this game would be quickly sucked into the gravity well of the nearest large asteroid or planet and .... yeah ... I better stop now.
Correction: SOME Nebula are that big. Nebulas vary in size a lot.

Hehe.... most Nebulas in Star Trek don't do that either. :p It's unusual for a Nebula to interfere with sensors.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 17
12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Correction: SOME Nebula are that big. Nebulas vary in size a lot.

Hehe.... most Nebulas in Star Trek don't do that either. :p It's unusual for a Nebula to interfere with sensors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula

No mention whatsoever of a gas/dust cloud small enough to be tucked in the orbit of a planet.

My point being: They should correctly refer to these structures they keep putting allover th emaps as "dust clouds" since a NEBULA is a very specific thing, and the structures featured on the maps are not.
Captain
# 18
12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguitar View Post

Yeah... my inner astronomer dies a bit inside every time I play this game.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 19
12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
or: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nebula

hehe... Cat's Eye the central core(IE the easily visible part) is only .2 ly.

anyways it's a bit of a moot point. we can't say for sure that small clouds of gas and dust don't exist in space. either way, most of the smaller gas clouds seen in STO aren't actually called Nebula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Yeah... my inner astronomer dies a bit inside every time I play this game.
Your inner astronomer needs excercise.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Career Officer
# 20
12-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Only thing wrong with Nebulae is inconsitancy with the older zones. Newer zones like the planets in Tau Dewa, all are showing the Azure Nebula from various angles.

But you got to realize, that space isn't really at all black. Even if you hopped into a space ship, you wouldn't see the Milky way until you entered the shadow of some large object (like a planet).

And those famous Hubble Nebulae pictures, literally take hours to develop as it collects light from it.

But if Cryptic really made the background all darkness, then I think it would be pretty boring. So having some nebulae in the background can be a good thing.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.