Ensign
# 1 Whats the deal with Bullying
12-30-2012, 05:02 AM
I have a problem.
Got into an argument with some players in Otha (as happens) and for no good reason at all (the way I was playing) they started sending me personal insults(Trolling me). And then things got even worse when I started to send them insults back! It appears they feel they can insult me but not me them! Now they are better PvPers than I (they have been playing the game longer).

But what is making me upset is that even though I know that it's a PvP zone (although now I mostly go there for the mission). Whenever these groups of players are there they will attack me usually as a group, then start to spawn camp me & then keep doing it until I leave! And telling me I have to leave!

Often I'm there before them and they come and start doing this to me. So it's not even like I get the opportunity to develop my PvP as they simply dont want to me to play there! Or I'm set upon by 2 or 3 players!

But whats most dissapointing is that I have reported this behaviour.. And the message I get from this company is that the above is acceptable! Some of them have even made racially charged comments towards my charracter. (This was in front of one of my friends) who is also black.

I read another thread that went into a way of blocking these people out completly. So they wouldnt know I was there or vice versa. But I feel that this is getting beyond a game & is unacceptable!

Last edited by durranosgood; 12-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
12-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Racism is against the TOS. Report the player in question.
Commander
# 3
12-30-2012, 05:22 AM
If it's an issue, you can set yourself to not show up on searches of online players or players in a zone in the Social menu (default key: O, if I recall correctly). You can also ignore players by typing /ignore @thatplayershandle in your main chat box.

The best way to avoid arguments in Otha (and Kerrat, for that matter) is not to participate in them. The best way to not get trolled is to act like you don't care when you do get trolled.

Cryptic is not going to help you. I have never seen anyone get punished for any kind of behavior towards other players, including things far worse than a little griefing. If you want any kind of meaningful response, I suggest finding out (some other way than by asking the people pushing you around) who the responsible players' fleet leader is, and asking him if he will do anything about it.
Career Officer
# 4
12-30-2012, 05:24 AM
People have been banned for harassment.

One notable troll was banned recently.
Ensign
# 5
12-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Racism is against the TOS. Report the player in question.
I know I should have at the time. But any minority (even if your white living in Africa) will understand what I mean by the delayed reaction...

I guess you could call it mild shock, I have experienced racism in NWN but it almost slipped past me on this occasion. It was just thinking about when I just realised I have taken A LOT of greif from these people.. far more than I could give them (They outnumber me)

The wider point to be made is, if you have a game where bullying is tolerated. Then you cannot be surprised if other undesirable characteristics of human nature creep into the game.

Such as sexism, homaphobia and all the other nice things!
Commander
# 6
12-30-2012, 05:44 AM
I'm all for a bit of trash talking. It's just unfortunate when things escalate and degrade into the kind of nonsense. There's just something about the Internet that can turn normal folk into super douches.
Ensign
# 7
12-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I'm all for a bit of trash talking. It's just unfortunate when things escalate and degrade into the kind of nonsense. There's just something about the Internet that can turn normal folk into super douches.
I know what you mean. But that only works when both parties are taking part in it. When it started I actually stopped playing and asked them "Why are you Trolling me?". They carried on, so I started Trolling them!(much better than they trolled me). Which made them even more angry!

I think it has a lot to do with maturity.
And age has nothing to do with that sadly
Career Officer
# 8
12-30-2012, 07:53 AM
If its generic trash talk then i'm all for it. This is PVP, sir!

If it really is rather bad, and they're being racist then search their fleet, either find their website and enquire the name of the fleet leader, or just take a wild guess based on the names that appear.

Feel free to link him/her this thread.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Identify their fleet and contact the leaders informing them that some people are bringing them into disrepute
Ensign
# 10
12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
If its generic trash talk then i'm all for it. This is PVP, sir!

If it really is rather bad, and they're being racist then search their fleet, either find their website and enquire the name of the fleet leader, or just take a wild guess based on the names that appear.

Feel free to link him/her this thread.

I'm enouraged by the positive feedback! And I am all for banter as it can make PvP engagements mean more! And even though I only get 1 kill out of 20 deaths ATM it still feels sweet & it's worth the reaction I get from them.

But there has to be a time when enough is enough. Like I said I accept it's a PvP zone. But things like spawn camping (solved by random regional spawning), especially when I was there first, Racism, obviously. Is beyond the point where you can say it's part of the game!
Even if your asking to be left alone or at the very least not to be verbally abused! That should be respected!

I know who these players are & I can link them here... only one of them was vocal when he saw the race of my toon.. Although I'm sure it was a matter for conversation amoungst them.

So I'll keep what you say in mind & may post an update here if I need to. Hopefully a few will be reading this and that will be enough! And to be honest I dont really want to do that as it seems... immature?!

In fact I didnt even want to air this 'dirty laundry' publicly here on the forums..
But what else can I do? I reported them.. I asked them... So what now give them what they want & stop going to Otha?
Or stop playing the game?
Closed Thread