Lt. Commander
# 21
12-30-2012, 08:39 AM
I've only just started on the foundry and I was admittedly frustrated by some of the reviews already. However, I always have to remember that we do usually focus on the negative. Now that I'm getting more reviews on my mission, I'm noticing that the very few bad ratings I do get (usually due to some moronic reasoning) don't matter as much, as I get many more good reviews than bad.

To the OP I say: just be patient and wait till you get about 10-15 reviews. The fact is... there's always going to be someone who doesn't like your stuff. And there are likely even more people who are actively looking for something wrong to say just because it's created by another player and not a developer. People tend to be show their "inner jerk" a lot more when they're dealing with their peers.

I just got a review on mine that said "consoles were too hard to find". The first thing I thought of was... really? Did you bother to use the big golden circles on your map, or look for the obnoxiously glowing thingy when you get there? But then, I'm sure that same thing happens to him when playing the actual content. Does he complain to the devs about it? Probably not. We just need to learn to accept that.
Rihannsu
# 22
12-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
You know, it sounds really mean and ignorant saying it, but I bet every game company or software developer has said it at some time. It's that one bit of advice I feel I should give to every new author that shows up in the foundry starry eyed.

Your players are idiots.

Not all of them mind you. But, for every 20 intelligent people who play your mission there is going to be at least 1 who's mannerisms make it questionable if they know how to breath properly without assistance.

As for my favorite stupid one star: "...nope."
I would only respect that review if it was NOPENOPENOPE
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 23
12-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Played both of these missions awhiles back. Both very enjoyable. Should have left a positive comment. Rude of me not to do so. My sincerest apologies.

Used to do player developed missions for quite a few other games I play. No matter what I did, someone always had something negative to say about my work. Easy to get discouraged by a single stridently vocal FanBoy who dislikes the non canon color you chose for the NPC Photon Torps. Easier still to allow some grief-spreading malcontented wastrel with no real reason for existence other than to spoil other people's fun as fast as he can as often as he can to become empowered over you by you. By reacting to his comment, you give him the power and attention he so desperately craves to make himself feel better about himself. Are you sure you wanna do that?

Short version - Don't feed the trolls. Especially after midnight.

Next Question - Just exactly who are you making Foundry Missions for?

If you do so to satisfy the desires of others, you'll never be happy with your own work. If you are making a Foundry mission for yourself because it something you've never seen in Star Trek or it is a story you want to tell in the way you want to tell it -

then press on and damn the torpedoes!

People who like your story will like it no matter how poor a job you think you did. They will also want more. People who do not like your mission will not ever like it. Even if they have to make up a reason to do so. All you'll do by worrying about their opinion of your story is drive yourself crazy wondering what's wrong with you. Next, you'll stop sharing your stories with the rest of us. A real shame if this happens.

You gave up the most precious thing in the Universe to make a Foundry mission to share with the rest of us. Free time. None of us will ever have enough of it and we'll always want more. The people leaving negative comments or worse, snide remarks pretending to be a 'critique', should not determine whether or not you create more Foundry missions in the future. If you let them stop you, and you are the only one who can do this, they have won. I, for one, hope you do not stop because some brainless individual whose parents obviously waded in the shallow end of the gene pool posted something snarky.
Commander
# 24
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I've actually taken to emailing some of the more stupid comments, i mean everyone has their own tastes and opinions but on the other hand there are alot of numb-nuts out there.

Just a quick message along the lines of; "I noticed you had an issue with my mission ****, the reason for this is ****" Or "Why did you give me a 1 star for something so silly, why not ask me by mail or just leave it all together!"

...except nicer!
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES