Ensign
# 51
12-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Just get rid of the need/greed for PUGs. There will be no system that you can think of that can't be abused to some degree.

As for the Defiant debate... aside from saying "plot armor", looking at the size of it compared to a cruiser, what in the heck makes you think that they could actually cram that much firepower into it? The problem, of course, is that if the devs were to make things more realistic (in that a larger ship could proportionately have more weapons) then everyone would only play the large ships. I mean, come on... the lower rank ships are actual, viable classes of ships, but who in the heck actually flies them still once they have a larger one available to them???
Community Moderator
# 52
12-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariston View Post
A simple solution that will get me flamed:

If you choose "Need", make it bind on pickup--since you are going to use it anyway or you wouldn't have chosen "Need". Another option is to make "Need" items non-sellable.
I suspect this would be difficult technically, requiring either doubling of items or increasing the size of the data model for everything and touching a lot of code, but leaving aside technical difficulties I think it's an excellent idea.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
# 53
12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paareth View Post
As someone said above, I have an even simpler idea also.

You get to need once every 5 minutes, or if you want to be harsh a couple of times a mission. You get to greed after that.

Simple and easy. As it is now there is no need or greed, everyone just needs.
I agree. the issue with need or greed is that it's not much of a choice...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 54
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariston View Post
A simple solution that will get me flamed:

If you choose "Need", make it bind on pickup--since you are going to use it anyway or you wouldn't have chosen "Need". Another option is to make "Need" items non-sellable.
Great idea. The only problem I see with this model is some players might troll the system by just needing everything and trashing it. If other players also needed they would just be getting worthless items. A "need timer" might also be called for.

In the short term, I think a quicker fix considering the total broken state of need/greed in PUGs is that the default loot system is round robin.
Lt. Commander
# 55
12-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I think the best solution to team loot is to simply have all loot be picked up automatically, including batteries etc (so you dont have to hit the "f" key in the middle of a battle, which for me is extremely annoying and requires like 5 tries), and then have an option to "pass" come up. If after 30 seconds, you dont hit the pass button, you get a roll for the item. Obviously, top person gets it.

The Need, Greed or Pass system is fine but really too complicated for the types of teams and loot involved in this game. There arent specific classes that will need stuff, or not be able to use stuff. Also, people are primarily going to use their loot to vendor or sell. The fact that the need greed and pass stuff comes up in the middle of battles is especially annoying. There is a lot of other stuff people should be concentrating on in the middle of battles other than the loot.
Survivor of Romulus
# 56
12-30-2012, 01:09 PM
or just give everyone the same items