Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
Since the combo of Romulan torp, Omega torp or Ferengi missile, and torp DOFFs is pretty much out in the open, is that gonna become the next 'thing'?

By that I mean, we've recently gone through the 'song and dance' number of tric mines, broken Omega shield passive, and a couple other things that pretty much people whined and moaned about, blaming PvPers, etc etc, but it got fixed (or will be fixed), regardless.

So is this combo going to become that? I feel it might be too early to tell, because it isn't wide spread. Things in PvP don't generally become a problem until they start getting fielded in bulk.

Tric mines with the mine revamp were made powerful, but it's not like it happened over night to get how bad it is. I'm not saying they weren't a problem even then, but it's only over time with more and more people fielding them, to the point of entire teams doing it sometimes. SNB DOFFs for the longest time, while powerful and again a problem, were only made obvious after they became much, MUCH cheaper and began to be used again, in bulk.

I'm a bit on the fence, for that very reason. There's not enough people running this out and about yet to really decide. However, the sheer number of torpedoes that can be launched is a bit insane, just overwhelming any amount of clenses and general heals. At least they are targettable, but you can only shoot so many at once though as well.

So there's a lot of points and counter-points I'm already thinking of, so what do you all think? Are they just little more than a burn-build in PvE, or do you all think that maybe once people start decking their ships out and minmaxing it, it could be more serious?

Career Officer
# 2
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I think most people don't even know about the latest new hotness (broken or otherwise) until they either get told or read threads like these and go and do it in order to take advantage.

Its generally why i never spread what i get told, like those new embassy DoF---- never mind, nothing to see here!
Career Officer
# 3
12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Why was this moved? This thread would get better feedback in the PvP gameplay subforum.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.

Last edited by snoge00f; 12-31-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Captain
# 4
12-31-2012, 12:30 AM
The Romulan Hyper Plasma Torpedo Launcher has too simple of a counter to really make it super effective anywhere outside of PvE. You can nullify most of it's damage by simply hitting a HE1. The rest is all just kinetic damage, and low amounts at that. The only real danger I see from this weapon in PvP is the lag it will generate and the fact it distracts weapons in BFAW.

Other than that, it's simply too weak on its own to be a true threat.

However I can see this combining with other rather nasty abilities to become a problem, but again, it's too easily countered by HE of any level.

So I only see this being viable as a burn build in PvE, like you originally stated.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Empire Veteran
# 5
12-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Why was this moved? You would get better feedback in the PvP gameplay subforum.
I'm wondering that exact same thing. I put it in the PvP area because it was basically about PvP anyways, and it was asking the question at other PvPers. So it was entirely PvP-related, because I was honestly curious if people felt this plasma torp thing was gonna be a problem in PvP, and be the next 'thing' we'd have to deal with.

The unfortunate part is that they never ever undue a thread move or merge, so I'm kinda stuck with this, at least without making a new thread which asks them NOT to move it.

Aquitaine, I've seen several threads on this in the forum these past few days, and the numbers in the game in PvE stuff (maybe it's just coincidental that I have saw a lot of it), that I've seen doing most or the entire combo. So it's only a matter of time until it bleeds into PvP more readily, again, hence the whole point of this thread.

No matter what it is, people will always find out in this game, just a matter of time.

So...'that' has been discovered by more folks too, eh? I'm surprised 'that' stayed a secret so long, even if you did just basically said what 'that' is.

But again, that's my point. Right now we have 'that', and the Romulan torpedo? 'That' might be getting fixed soon of course, but what about the torpedo combo, how will that affect PvP? The question still stands on what people might think.

Even so, in the future, once 'that' is fixed, and once the Romulan torpedo gets changed (if at all), tric mines are altered, etc, there will be something else. It's only a matter of time.

Mods or devs, can this please be moved back to the PvP area? I meant it in a more PvP way, not just a 'build' way, because I'm wondering what people do honestly think might happen in a PvP scenario.

Empire Veteran
# 6
12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
It appears I was mistaken, thank you for moving it back.

Captain
# 7
12-31-2012, 09:51 AM
I think I was lucky. I own a D'Kora and stumbled upon it out of sheer chance.

I was giddy with the special FX of so many torps and rockets firing off to be honest.

It was like a really dizzy Fourth of July in space.
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
its the omega torp thats good. the romulan torp has the same problem plasma torps always have, slow and easy to kill. i stuck it aft so as soon as i pass someone they get hit by it, and have the durable omega torp up front.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 9
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I tried both Romulan and Omega torps with my tac and 3 purple doffs and wasn't impressed with either, went back to a quantum with all crit mods on it and it does way better. I see how these torps could be good in pve for a non-tac or someone who doesn't have lots of ranks in projectile weapon specilization, so the burns could make up for the weaker and less crits they get. I think a tac with max specilization can just blow the targets up faster before the dots really help much. I seen some engs in cruisers do good with the plasma torps though.
Captain
# 10
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
sorry double post, internet dced and posted this again for some reason.

Last edited by marc8219; 12-31-2012 at 01:44 PM.