Captain
# 11
12-22-2012, 07:01 PM
I actually would prefer to see the ranks updated so that Rear Admiral Lower Half became Commodore, and Rear Admiral Upper Half became Rear Admiral. It's so clunky to see NPCs, including your BOFFs, refer to you by the two Rear Admiral ranks, and for me, it kind of breaks the immersion.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Career Officer
# 12
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I would like to see a Second, Event Schedule.

It should run concurrently with the present one, but have a different pattern.

More opportunities for more folks to take advantage of the Bonus times, without having to revolve their lives around STO.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 12-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Ensign
# 13 Is this possible?
12-30-2012, 08:31 AM
QUOTE=sargon999;7282071]Short Term:

I am sure that this may already been suggested. This is direclty for the the devs. I think that this is a very simple change and can be done rather easily. I propose a change to the load screen when warping between the sector blocks (any sector block) or all. I think that the LCARS screen looks pretty tired and boring. In order to improve the experience, have an actual warp screen. A star field with the stars flying past at different speeds. You could change the loading percentages to reflect the total distance traveled from current postion to destination. It does not have to be a complete redesign. The star field that is visible if you visit the shuttle bridge is a pretty easy screen to copy and paste. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could design a transwarp screen as seen in the Voyager series finale. Of couse, that was a Borg transwarp conduit but it can easily be FED like by adding the FED blue etc.. If you think about it, I think it will improve the the overall experience of the game and make it flow much better. The load screen is not on for long and really does not need to be but as long as it is - why not make it look cool!![/quote]
Ensign
# 14
12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Since those of us that played from the time of the Beta (*cough cough*) can't make our own threads yet, I'll also take a little slice of this to offer ideas that -- in my opinion, would be beneficial to the game play experience and does not require as much coding as a lot of the other (really good) suggestions.

One of my biggest issues which is not emphasized enough on (for Star Trek) is ship interiors. There are several things that bug me about it, and I'll start with the most glaringly obvious and most easy to fix:

THE CEILINGS ARE TOO HIGH.

Jesus, you must expect these ships to have four decks or the officers to be reeeeeeeeeeeeally tiny because these hallways are giant. Like seriously. I can't think of a single starship in the Federation with the exception of...no, not a single starship in the Federation that had a ceiling as high as a gym. Have you taken a look at your hallways? Now watch Voyager. Now Enterprise. Now Ds9 on the Defiant. Now TNG. Now ALL the movies. Did you see ceilings that are two stories high? No.

Period.

Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease make sickbay, engineering and the bridge more functional. Sickbay does what? Give you duty assignments? My Captain has internal bleeding, combat trauma and a concussion from wiping so many times. There's no chief medical officer to heal me? Not even for energy credits? Dilithium? Zen? No? Okay.jpg.

Engineering is pretty decent as it goes, in my opinion, because there's not much you can do from there in the first place. I realize that STO is not made as an RP game first, so the functions I came to love in my RPG-X version of Star Trek: Elite Force such as raising forcefields and such will never happen. That's no big deal.

But the Bridge! Oh good grief the bridge. Helm, set a course to Sol System! No? Oh, I can't do anything on my bridge. Why can't we? I realize that we can't exactly turn into Star Trek: Bridge Commander over night, but can't I at least transwarp to Sol? As much as I'd love to be able to command missions from the bridge of my starship (which the ceilings are actually okay for), I realize that's asking a lot and is really irrational.

Staying on the subject of placing inside the ship, why can't I go to my conference room? I know that it's there. I know I have one. One of the romulan missions even says I can go there or my ready room. Why can't I go there? I like it

I agree that duty officers are a really big deal to actually code as official members of the crew, but why can't I see the ones in sickbay? Or like, why can't I actually see my real chef and real bartender? Those two characters are human no matter how Andorian and how vulcan my real chef and real bartender is. Just sayin'.

On the topic of duty officers, why can't we set the uniforms of the crew that wander aimlessly around my ship with the over-sized hallways? I'm not saying they have to sing and dance too, but if you can set Fleet uniforms (and you see the little people modeling them), why can't you set ship uniforms? Some uniformity would be nice. >.<

This hurts my immersion immensely, simply because there is nothing that is functional, nothing that is matching, and I can't pretend to be a starfleet officer on a Starfleet warship if the ceilings are SO HIGH. ._.

Moving on, I recently just finished (for the first time) the entire Star Trek: Enterprise series, which I never gave enough credit to; it's really fantastic. I really love the idea of M.A.C.O. I think they're pretty awesome -- the S.E.A.L. Team 6 of Star Trek, per se. So when I saw I could get M.A.C.O. armor from the Omega Borg missions, and saw the M.A.C.O. people wearing them on DS9, I was like "Hell yeah, so getting that" only to find out it looks like the dumb armor that my character had to wear when he got his first polydurianiamite disrupter armor MK I. That's pretty pitiful, don't you think? Now, most MMOs have the problem of making armor not look quite right (*Cough* World of ********), but I am -positive- that a skin on a piece of armor isn't that hard to do if you've already got that skin on NPCs.

I could go on about how I think ships should have specific hitpoints for specific subsystems, how you should be able to knock out engines, shields, deflectors, waste disposal or whatever by targetting it (Star Trek: Bridge Commander again), but I know that is asking too much in terms of coding.

I do hope, though, that what I've listed isn't too demanding...it doesn't sound like it would be.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Apparently World of word that starts with W and ends with arcraft is blocked. Sorry.

Last edited by cartresportiave; 12-30-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Profanity!
Captain
# 15
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
My ideas.

Revamp of storyline and actually finish storylines and open up some new stuff. ex. Borg storyline needs to end.

Avoid the time gated missions. None of this cookie cutter garbage. Time to start making these seasons worth something aside from a groan as there is no endgame content still.

Exploration- Needs a lot of improvement, like for example. Finding strange anomolies and investigating them like time streams, gravity anomolies, more meaningful species and development that could lead to something to juice up this "war"

For PvP- Add zones of conflict where KDF and Feds can engage each other in open conflict for another side to add for the conflict to open up or actually close it with an engaging storyline. Also add a boot camp for those that are lousy at PvP (myself included)

Merge the sector maps into one.

Add a fourth dimension to space combat as we have 3-d. Add dorsal and ventral shields and for more insane maneuvers or ramming.

For the tie in to exploration. Any species you encounter that is already space traveling you may open talks for them to join the Federation or Klingon Empire. Adding more zones of war fare or resources.

Then finally add some meaningful content for the Klingons. Their storyline needs juicing up. Add the intricate politics of the great houses.

Make dodging easier to do in PvP and PvE for more fluidity in combat.

Add ship to ship invasion *ie* Boarding parties*
Ensign
# 16
12-31-2012, 09:52 AM
I love the idea of dorsal and ventral shielding from above, for the record. Boarding parties as well.

Not sure if the whole inviting to the Federation and Klingon Empires can really happen, as that's a major lore event that players really shouldn't have control over.
Captain
# 17
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartresportiave View Post
I love the idea of dorsal and ventral shielding from above, for the record. Boarding parties as well.

Not sure if the whole inviting to the Federation and Klingon Empires can really happen, as that's a major lore event that players really shouldn't have control over.
That is perhaps the controversial part.
Ensign
# 18
02-01-2013, 07:04 AM
I still have all the ships I got from promotions but I only use the latest one. I'd love to be able to promote and assign bridge officers to command them and then promote boff candidates to take their place on my crew.