Survivor of Remus
# 1 Let's Play Star Trek Online!
01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Hello, J2JonJeremy here. You might recall that I did a LP of Star Trek Online back when it was subscription based. Now, one year after the launch of the F2P model, I have returned to begin anew, well, sort of anew, coming back to where I left off in the game and playing with all the changes within!

The newest episode can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42ikBsPSRA

The original playlist of thirty-seven episodes can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

-J2
Captain
# 2
01-02-2013, 01:38 AM
For reference, this was your original thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=240773

Anyway, glad to see you're back! I've been waiting a long time.

So as usual, my comments and tips on the next episode (38):
  • This was a nice intro on what's new from a new player's perspective, though there's other elements that you probably don't know about, such as fleet starbase construction, or the new adventure zones, sector, and STFs. You'll learn more about those once you get higher level, other than the fleet starbases, which just requires joining a fleet.
  • The C-Store is actually still called the C-Store, as the C stands for Cryptic.
    But you're absolutely right about the currency being used in the C-Store now being Zen.
    Here's the official word: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=10
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the gear in the dilithium store. There's nothing you'll really need from there, especially while levelling. I'd save your dilithium for things you'll want once you reach the upper levels.
  • I'm not sure if you just didn't mention it when you're going over duty officers or not, but you can also assign them to active duty, giving you the benefits of the duty officer, such as faster recharge times on certain abilities. Doing so makes them unavailable for use on assignments however.
  • While you didn't do any combat, I noticed your ground bar looked rather sparse. One reason I like engineers, is all the little devices they can use for ground action. At your current level, I'd suggest purchasing a common kit from the requisitions officer at Earth Spacedock named 'Bunker Fabrication' or 'Enemy Neutralization' to get to play around with a bunch of the abilities you can get in that regard. Alternately, you could wait until those types of kits get offered up as rewards from the missions you play.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Survivor of Remus
# 3
01-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
For reference, this was your original thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=240773

Anyway, glad to see you're back! I've been waiting a long time.

So as usual, my comments and tips on the next episode (38):
  • This was a nice intro on what's new from a new player's perspective, though there's other elements that you probably don't know about, such as fleet starbase construction, or the new adventure zones, sector, and STFs. You'll learn more about those once you get higher level, other than the fleet starbases, which just requires joining a fleet.
  • The C-Store is actually still called the C-Store, as the C stands for Cryptic.
    But you're absolutely right about the currency being used in the C-Store now being Zen.
    Here's the official word: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=10
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the gear in the dilithium store. There's nothing you'll really need from there, especially while levelling. I'd save your dilithium for things you'll want once you reach the upper levels.
  • I'm not sure if you just didn't mention it when you're going over duty officers or not, but you can also assign them to active duty, giving you the benefits of the duty officer, such as faster recharge times on certain abilities. Doing so makes them unavailable for use on assignments however.
  • While you didn't do any combat, I noticed your ground bar looked rather sparse. One reason I like engineers, is all the little devices they can use for ground action. At your current level, I'd suggest purchasing a common kit from the requisitions officer at Earth Spacedock named 'Bunker Fabrication' or 'Enemy Neutralization' to get to play around with a bunch of the abilities you can get in that regard. Alternately, you could wait until those types of kits get offered up as rewards from the missions you play.
Thanks for the old thread link, didn't have it bookmarked and then it was just a pain to try and find it again!

Whoops on the dilithium store. >.> But I do enjoy doing the Starfleet Academy events so I'll recover.

I didn't mention the active duty portion of duty officers, you're right. Slipped my mind.

Yeah, I still play my Engineering Captain like a Tactical Captain.
Captain
# 4
01-03-2013, 03:01 AM
And for episode 39...
  • Aww, it's only the first part of the mission...
  • One thing I wanted to note about Duty Officers is that when you have your department heads provide recommendations to you for who to send on assignments, they prioritize the success rate.
    When you have few duty officers, or smaller amounts of high quality duty officers, this works out fine. But later one, once you start having more blue and even purple rarity duty officers, you'll likely want to manually choose your personel from the full list to get the best odds for critical success rates.
    For example, if you have a duty officer that would give your assignment a 75% success rate, and 25% critical change, and another that would give you 50% success rate, and 50% critical rate, your department head would always recommend the former over the latter.
  • Also, do keep in mind that some assignments also require other inputs, such as Energy Credits or Commodities. If you're not paying attention, you could easily spend a bunch of energy credits on duty officer assignments without realizing it.
  • Just a reminder, while in sector space, you can 'Disable Astrometrics' via the button on the lower right corner for a more space-like feel when travelling.
  • For missions where you are restricted from going at full impulse, keep in mind you can use abilities like Evasive Maneuvers and transfer more power to Engines (use the Speed power preset). These will really make a big difference in certain missions. If you find yourself taking a long time to travel around while in mission, you're probably missing something.
  • The default hotkey for firing all your energy weapons is space bar. Other hotkeys that can include just torpedoes, or energy weapons and torpedoes, and/or mines include CTRL-Spacebar and Alt-Spacebar. These keybeinds can be changed in the options.
  • Don't forget you can also just set weapons to autofire by right clicking on them in your weapon tray.
  • Don't forget to setup your power presets. You currently have it on the default setting of 50 / 50 / 50 / 50. Things will die faster if you have 100 power to weapons, and you can also transfer more power to shields during times when you need to recover.
  • Your shields will be going down if you don't use abilities to assist during combat. You have both Emergency Power to Shields and Transfer Shield Power to help with that. Also, as an engineer, you have access to Rotate Shield Frequencies which is a very good ability too.
  • You can also move shield power around by using the arrow keys, clicking on the different shield facings, or by using the 'distribute shield power' ability, though I don't see that currently on your tray. With the number of abilities you currently have, you will probably want to click on the icon on the right side of your tray, and switch it to mode 2 instead so that you have more tray to work with.
  • The Star Trek Online web team has also been working on something called the Gateway, which is a neat way to check out your character, and others, without being in the game.
    The feature is still in beta, but is available for you to try at http://gateway.startrekonline.com/
    You can find more information at http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=716711
Captain
# 5
01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
For part 40:
  • If you don't want your bridge officers to go in 'guns blazing', there's buttons to the left of your party's portraits to individual control them, including the ability to put them on passive mode, as well as on top to give orders to your entire away team.
  • One of your ground abilities is the ability to recharge your own shields, if you need it.
  • You can also control who your bridge officer attacks with the commands on the sides. A handy shortcut is 'y' (by default) will tell them to focus fire on your currently selected target.
  • A reminder, you can use the 'F' key to interact with most things, including looting, talking, or interacting with consoles.
  • I like the voices you did!
  • If you wish, you can turn off auto-hail from NPCs in the options.
  • Once you use the datachips, you can read the actual contents of it in your Accolades
Survivor of Remus
# 6
01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Ooh, definitely traveling without astrometrics now. Cleaner UI, here I come!

Gateway definitely seems interesting. I wonder if I'll be able to complete Duty Officer Assignment while outside the game!
Ensign
# 7 Duty Officers
01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
There are four locations where you find duty officer assignments. So far, your videos show you using only one. Three of these locations can be found by opening the duty officer window. After opening the window, look for the row of tabs running across the top. The important tabs for finding DOFF assignments are labeled "Assignments" and "Department Heads".

a) When you click on assignments, a row of tabs appears on the left side of the window. The first is labeled "Current Map", and this is the list of assignments you've been pulling from.

b) Right below the "Current Map" tab is another labeled "Personal". This tab gives another group ofdifferent assignments, which can have special rewards. You can generally find several that, for a critical sucess, give a boost to one of your abilities for a limited time.

Other types of assignments that can be there. Right now, I have one to "evaluate" a new bridge officer. When it completes I get that officer.

c) I mentioned above that the "Department Heads" tab also has missions. When you click on that tab, your window will show the seven departments youir crew is divided into. By each you will find button labeled "Assignments". This is where the majority of your available assignments can be found. There are missions here for pretty much anything, from infiltrating the Orion Syndicate to building a new shield generator, although trade missions are never found here.

d) Speaking of trade missions, I just picked up a couple from a Ferengi NPC on DS-9. The fourth 'location' I mentioned is the NPCs on various bases who give missions. Also, if you go inside your ship, you find NPCs with missions. My bartender has a good one called "Drown Troubles with Saurian Brandy". It takes 3 bottles of to do it, but then I have a lot of troubles.

Other points:

*Saurian Brandy is purchased from a bar, such as Quarks or Club 47. Many assignments require you to supply materials, which you generally have to buy. Most can be bought from the replicator, but you'll pay more that way. Buying from vendors is cheaper, and some charge less than others. For instance, a woman in a cave on Andoria sells cheap provisions and communication systems. A man at the foot of Vulcan's grand staircase sells cheap medical supplies and industial energy cells. A woman on Risa sells Entertainment Provisions, and near her there's a shack with a man selling (I think) Seismic Stabilizers. It pays to shop around.

You don't have to keep these materials in your inventory. Put them in your bank, and the needed material is automatically withdrawn when you start an assignment.

This also applies to particles picked up from anomalies. Your "Secret Orders" video shows your inventory is full of them, but you don't have to carry them around. Put them in the bank, and you'll never need to draw them out. I used to move them to my inventory for crafting, then back to the bank when I was finished. This wasted a lot of time. Eventually I learned the needed items are pulled directly from the bank.

As an aside: you can't access your bank during a mission, but you can access the account bank. This is done via a closet in your ready room. If you're using the Constitution interior, I believe you can access it from the conference room. The account bank can also be accessed by visiting your shuttle's interior.

*The available assignments change when you move from one map to another. This includes something as simple as beaming from ESD to you ship.

*When you plan an assignment, three possible candidates are displayed. You don't have to choose from just those three. At the bottom of the duty officer window is a button labeled "Display Entire Reserve Roster". Click on that, and you can see all officers who qualify to fill the position.

Some assigments require DOFFs with two or more differing qualifications. The first slot may be for an officer who has Resolve as a trait, while the second is for someone from the Operations department. If so, the reserve roster will change for each position.

*You can buy duty officers on the exchange for EC. However, the exchange doesn't make distinctions between Federation and Klingon officers. You can buy, but not use, an officer from the other faction. This can be an expensive error, as I've learned. To avoid mistakes, just look at the DOFF's image - behind the person's head you will see either a Federation or a Klingon logo.
Captain
# 8
01-07-2013, 07:56 PM
For Episode 41...
  • Yes, that's how most of us play. Although I like to keep my torpedos off autofire so I can manually control when they fire.
  • Take that extra time you have to use your bridge officer abilities, like high yield torpedoes and stuff!
  • Disabling astrometrics got rid of the grid under you in sector space, and the various markings around planets and stars, as well as changing how some of them animate.
  • Don't forget you can use Evasive Maneuvers to turn faster, even when not in combat.
  • You're not ALWAYS the closest ship. There many times you're not. You just don't hear about it because it's not your ship that gets hailed in those cases!
  • You can setup autofire on the ground, but you first have to enable it in the options. It's not as big a deal for ground combat though. I usually don't use autofire in ground.
  • The two ground modes are typically referred to as Shooter mode and RPG mode.
  • I like putting things such as shield and medical generators behind cover shields, so that the enemies can't shoot them.
  • A shield generator isn't a protective shield. It means being in it will help recharge your personal shields faster.

Last edited by tangolight; 01-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Ensign
# 9 Doomsday Device melee weapon
01-10-2013, 04:19 AM
"The Doomsday Device" mission gives Federation captains a rare chance to pick up a melee weapon. It's somewhat out of the way, and I've see other LPs where the player overlooked it.

At one point in the mission, you're called to a room to talk with two NPCs. A cut sceen starts the instant you reach the room's door, and after it ends you're back in the hallway. Be sure to enter the room, and go to the glowing chest.
Ensign
# 10
01-10-2013, 05:55 AM
In "Let's Play Star Trek Online - 42 [Faction Unlock]" you were looking at other missions you might play. A fair number of these offer a dilithium award, and dilithium will become increasingly important as you gain in rank.

1) If I had a Commander or Captain toon, I'd be taking Commander Makza's mission at the Ker'rat system. It's a good dilithium farm, and loot drops are plentiful. However, the mission is a three-way fight with both the Klingons and the Borg, combining PvP and PvE at the same time. You may not feel ready for PvP yet. It also isn't fast, because you have to play three cycles of it to get the dilithium reward.

If you go there, be sure to use your science officer's Hazard Emitters power. The Borg Cubes have a shield neutralizer weapon. They hit you with it, then all your shields drain away. When this happens, hit the Hazard Emitters power. It stops the shield netrualizer effect. Hazard Emitters will also put out fires caused by plasma weapons, which the Borg use.

Bbe sure to move all those anomalies currently in your inventory into the bank. If your inventory is full you can't pick up the loot drops. Even if you don't go to Ker'rat, you should put those in the bank. There's no need to carry them around in your pocket.

2) I don't know if you did dilithium mining in your prior incarnation, but the rewards have been steadily raised while you were away. A competent player with a good computer can now get 1000 dilithium from this mission. You also pick up anomalies at each of the 5mining sites. If you do this mission during a dilithium mining event, the dilithium reward increases by another 50%. It isn't exciting, but it's a fairly quick mission.

You would need a space suit. A used suit goes for 100 dilithium, but you can find Armored Environmental Suits in the exchange for under 1000 EC. They're in the personal armor category.

3) The exploration missions are another way to earn dilithium, if you know the trick. When you take any of them, from any NPC, also take Lieutenant Grall's mission "Explore Strange New Worlds". That mission and the exploration missions have the same objective, namely exploring 3 systems, so you accomplish them together. "Explore Strange New Worlds" gives you 1440 dilithium.

There's another layer you can add. Ambassador Jiro Sugihara has diplomatic misions for you called "Diplomatic Investigations". You can select a diplomatic investigation mission and an exploration mission for the same area. The diplo mission will count as one of the three systems you need to explore.

The diplomatic missions have also changed since you were last here. Back then the mission involved beaming to an unihabited planet, scanning five objects for whatever contrived reason, then getting 10 diplomatic experience points. Now you fly up to an inhabited planet, which will ask you to provide 10 of something. The planet will ask for provisions, medical supplies, or something else you can replicate if you don't already have it. This can get expensive if you do it often, but the reward is now 100 diplomatic experience points.

Note that you don't have to carry around these supplies either. If you have them in the bank, they will be drawn out to resolve the mission without any action on your part.