Lt. Commander
# 11
01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunaeris View Post
I recently decided to have a go at Elite Difficulty during missions, both for the challenge and for the alleged higher value drops.
I found it harder work and a more interesting challenge but still doable, it just takes a little more time to take down enemies rather than insta-kill, which is good and expected.

I was expecting to get maybe slightly less frequent drops but slightly better ones, yet oddly the drops are actually worse, despite the efforts. I end up with endless drops of various batteries and commodities (seemingly more than before) and if I end up with anything like an engine I'm lucky to find it to be even equal to what I might have gotten playing normal and so people are aware I tested it out playing the same missions over and over to compare results.

I wouldn't mind if I got less frequent drops or if they were really harder to get, so long as it was worth the bother.

Currently it seems Elite and possibly Advanced ( I haven't bothered with the latter) are totally pointless except for extra frustration or masochistic flagellation.

This is especially true with the increased chance of taking damage and needing to trudge off to get things repaired.

What are other peoples experiences playing "Elite" and does it ever pay?
It seems broken, so for me; I think I will no longer bother.
Are you high? Elite difficulty is for STFs. Allow my to explain: Normal difficulty = 20 Omega marks. Elite difficulty= 60 - 90 Omega marks (depending on the mission) plus Borg Neural Processors (1 - 11 depending on the mission) and Mark XII gear and weapons. Just bring a lot of regenerators and components because you will be killed often. Die, regenerate or repair then keep going. It's worth it. A Mark XII photon does the same damage as a Mark XI Harpeng.
Rihannsu
# 12
01-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyshark View Post
Kirksplat, is "Gladiator Rumble" a foundry mission?
yes, yes it is.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 13
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
It's the sort of mission good Foundry authors make and then go cry in a shower, holding themselves.
Captain
# 14
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Hold up. There is a limit on how much foundry loot drops you can collect in a day?
Captain
# 15
01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
Are you high? Elite difficulty is for STFs. Allow my to explain: Normal difficulty = 20 Omega marks. Elite difficulty= 60 - 90 Omega marks (depending on the mission) plus Borg Neural Processors (1 - 11 depending on the mission) and Mark XII gear and weapons. Just bring a lot of regenerators and components because you will be killed often. Die, regenerate or repair then keep going. It's worth it. A Mark XII photon does the same damage as a Mark XI Harpeng.
You know you can change the difficulty for regular, non-STF missions, right? And that's what the thread is about?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I know that, but it's good practice. Elite STFs are hard as hell. If you have only been playing Normal or Advanced missions, you are in for a hell of a shock your first Elite STF. Take from experience. Play Elite and perfect your tactics before you get crushed by the Collective.
Career Officer
# 17
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Has anyone noticed that occasionally some Borg Elite's (i.e. Donatra's ship) is damn well near impossible to kill? I play daily and sometimes it feels like it has gotten too easy, I don't die once but other days it's literally just not going to happen... not to mention all the invisible kill shots taking you out with one shot no less. Than, worse, ppl start bailing and you have just wasted an hour .... sigh.

I agree with everyone here though, its a great way to learn. I have walked away with mainly greens and on occasion with 6 Borg Neural Processors in one go. Thus, dill count is high on a daily basis for me so in that way its worth it.
Captain
# 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
I know that, but it's good practice. Elite STFs are hard as hell. If you have only been playing Normal or Advanced missions, you are in for a hell of a shock your first Elite STF. Take from experience. Play Elite and perfect your tactics before you get crushed by the Collective.
That's not really true. The biggest hurdle in ESTFs is the specific strategy involved in it -- the 10% rule in ISE, killing the probes in KASE, etc. Essentially, playing as a team and knowing what to do. Once you understand the strategy and cooperate with your team, ESTFs are incredibly easy.

Elite space missions don't force you to use strategy, they force you to use more of your cooldowns. Enemies only have boosted damage and hit points, not better AI. You don't learn the teamwork skills necessary to succeed in ESTFs.

You might say that Elite missions teach you to use your cooldowns, but they really don't. New players run their ship with whatever they think would be cool or useful, without really a clue as to what's really useful for their play style. For most people, that information comes from other players, not from fighting tough enemies, either from asking in zone chat, or from looking up guides on the forums.
Lieutenant
# 19
Cryptic needs to modify how Advanced and Elite difficulty reward players. The extra drop percentage isn't significant for end game, and the extra expertise isn't needed. They need to give incentive for well geared players to turn up the difficulty in solo missions.

They should increase mission rewards from the difficulty level and have it apply to all earned currencys (dilithium, fleet/romulan/omega marks, etc.) It doesn't need to be and should not be as large as the per-kill expertise bonus (i.e. say 15%/30%). Earning 30% more marks or dilithium on a mission is definitely worth moving the slider up.

I will say that running some of these foundry missions on Elite certainly ups the game. Lots of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
That's not really true. The biggest hurdle in ESTFs is the specific strategy involved in it -- the 10% rule in ISE, killing the probes in KASE, etc. Essentially, playing as a team and knowing what to do. Once you understand the strategy and cooperate with your team, ESTFs are incredibly easy.

Elite space missions don't force you to use strategy, they force you to use more of your cooldowns. Enemies only have boosted damage and hit points, not better AI. You don't learn the teamwork skills necessary to succeed in ESTFs.

You might say that Elite missions teach you to use your cooldowns, but they really don't. New players run their ship with whatever they think would be cool or useful, without really a clue as to what's really useful for their play style. For most people, that information comes from other players, not from fighting tough enemies, either from asking in zone chat, or from looking up guides on the forums.
Try surviving one on one against a Cube in Elite STF. Or even a Sphere. And the God Damn Conduits. Either you know how to use your cooldowns or you die. Especially against the Conduits. You can have the whole fleet attacking it at once and you will still die if you don't know what you are doing. And Command Ships 1 and 2? Forget about it. Learn how to stay alive in an elite battle and how to do as much damage as possible. There are a lot of drama queens and *******s in elite missions who would rather throw the game out of spite than try to win. Trust me, it happens. A lot.
Closed Thread