Lt. Commander
Project Vitality was a Federation and Section 31 joint project with the sole purpose of creating "super-soldiers".

The project enabled scientists to use an updated DNA Augmentation process to genetically engineer subjects to give them heightened abilities, making them stronger and faster than normal.

The project was shut down when two of the first three subjects died from neural breakdown. The only successful subject of the project was David Gadley.

With the failure of the augmentation process on multiple subjects, the project lost all funding and backing from the Federation and David Gadley decided to enlist in Starfleet Academy.

Despite not getting the "army of soldiers" that they wanted out of the project, Admiral Quinn believed that the one successful subject was worth backing.

Admiral Quinn proposed the idea of giving David Gadley the command of a new prototype starship and an elite squad to be the Federation's "secret weapon". A ship and crew focused on Special Tactics and Reconnaissance.

The Federation officials who knew about the project agreed to revive it for this new "second phase" once the subject completed training at Starfleet Academy.

David Gadley completed his Starfleet training and was given command of the prototype starship U.S.S. Nexus.

Last edited by cdrgadley; 01-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Captain
# 2
01-02-2013, 08:24 AM
My namesake character is an immortal Human (as in Highlanderverse) born on Caladan (Dune reference) the son of a Federation weapons designer, and raised on Vulcan. During his time at the Academy, while investigating his father's murder, he goes AWOL and comes into contact with the head of Starfleet Intelligence, and his continuation at the Academy is conditional upon him becoming an intelligence operative. Upon graduation, he serves aboard the USS Pegasus, designing the phasing cloak, and following its catastrophic failure, is officially cashiered from Starfleet, only to become a full-time intelligence operative assigned to Bajor to monitor the Cardassian occupation. Upon recall to the Federation, he serves as a designer and test pilot, being killed during a flight test, which causes him to revive as an Immortal. After conducting the shakedown cruise of the USS Akira, he is promoted to Captain and given command of the vessel. He is later re-assigned to the Sovereign-Class USS Endeavour, eventually being promoted to Fleet Captain following a particularly harrowing diplomatic mission. After the murder of his mentor, he is promoted to the rank of Admiral, and made the head of Starfleet Intelligence.

[edit to add]
The middle initial 'D' is for Darien, named for Darien Lambert, lead character in a series called Time Trax.

Then STO happened and the timeline jumped forwards 30 years... So I retired that character... My new Captain was originally the above officer's Executive Assistant during his time as a Fleet Captain, who has worked her way through the ranks to now command the Nova-Class USS Valkyrie. I haven't really fleshed her background out much yet, other than she was nearly expelled from the Academy during her Senior year due to disciplinary issues arising following her Midshipman cruise and an inability to revert to simulations and classwork, but was mentored by the Fleet Captain and made an Acting Ensign as a last chance assignment. She is from Nevada, and likes spicy food and Pepsi... She has taken part in several first contact missions, and during one such mission, was tattooed in the traditional (Stone Age) manner on her upper-left arm.

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-02-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Commander
# 3
01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Here is a link to my background. Be warned, it is a work-in-progress and is likely to be a work-in-progress for quite some time yet.

Edit: Removed the link as it is out of date.

Last edited by bortjinx; 01-18-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
Here is a link to my background. Be warned, it is a work-in-progress and is likely to be a work-in-progress for quite some time yet.

The Empty Shell
Just copy and paste your bio here.

You need to be registered to that site to view your background.
Commander
# 5
01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgadley View Post
Just copy and paste your bio here.

You need to be registered to that site to view your background.
Really? I thought you could read it unregistered. It's too long to just post here I'm afraid. That's why it has it's own thread on our fleet forums, lol.

Edit: It's handy being a forum admin, lol...

You should be able to view it now.

Last edited by bortjinx; 01-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
Really? I thought you could read it unregistered. It's too long to just post here I'm afraid. That's why it has it's own thread on our fleet forums, lol.
That's a shame.
Career Officer
# 7
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
This is a slightly updated and proofread version of the biography of my first STO character, Vice Admiral T'Phira:

Quote:
T'Phira is currently the Vice Admiral in charge of the Logistical Division of Ragnarok fleet. Ragnarok is responsible for experimental technology evaluation and development.

Born as an orphan on a Federation colony, T'Phira developed a habit of speaking with a layer of snarkiness over the usual Vulcan demeanor. This was her way to cope with the various alien species and their different cultures while growing up and continues throughout her career in Starfleet.

Her first command is the U.S.S. Minovsky, a Miranda-class starship as part of Ragnarok Fleet. The Minovsky saw action against the Doomsday Device during the Klingon War. As a result of the damage, T'Phira changed her command to the U.S.S. Valley Forge, a Constitution Refit-class starship. The Valley Forge was involved with the Guardian of Forever and in restoring the timeline.

As events unfold near the Romulan Neutral Zone, T'Phira was given command of the Modified Cheyenne-class starship, U.S.S. Tiger's Claw and ordered to investigate. Incidents in Romulan Space would push the Tiger's Claw to its very limits but the ship emerged victorious. T'Phira was then ordered to Cardassian space as captain of the Galaxy-class starship, U.S.S. Lucifer's Fury. The Lucifer's Fury would find itself confronting the True Way and their supporters.

With the Borg and Undine on the move, T'Phira was deployed in command of the Sovereign-class U.S.S. Athena's Wrath as part of an allied effort. At one point, the Athena's Wrath was recalled from the front lines to deal with the Breen Invasion of Deferi Space. Successful, the Athena's Wrath returned to help with confronting the Undine.

Recently, T'Phira went to Earth to receive the new Odyssey-class, U.S.S. Freyja?s Anger. This ship would be her flagship during the return of temporally displaced Dominion forces. Afterwards, T?Phira briefly commanded the Excelsior Refit-class U.S.S. Minerva?s Fire and the Chimera-class Heavy Destroyer U.S.S. Aphrodite?s Flames, while the Freyja?s Anger underwent repairs and upgrades in drydock.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Vice Admiral T'Phira, Ragnarok Fleet - Head of Logistics Division; Captain Selena, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain Altecha, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain K'Kera, Ragnarok Fleet
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Captain
# 8
01-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgadley View Post
Project Vitality was a Federation and Section 31 joint project with the sole purpose of creating "super-soldiers".

The project enabled scientists to use an updated DNA Augmentation process to genetically engineer subjects to give them heightened abilities, making them stronger and faster than normal.

The project was shut down when two of the first three subjects died from neural breakdown. The only successful subject of the project was David Gadley.

With the failure of the augmentation process on multiple subjects, the project lost all funding and backing from the Federation and Section 31.

Despite not getting the "army of soldiers" that they wanted out of the project, Admiral Quinn believed that the one successful subject was worth backing.

Admiral Quinn proposed the idea of giving David Gadley the command of a new prototype starship and an elite squad to be the Federation's "secret weapon". A ship and crew focused on special operations.

The Federation officials who knew about the project agreed to revive it for this new "second phase" once the subject completed training at Starfleet Academy.

David Gadley completed his Starfleet training and was given command of the prototype starship U.S.S. Nexus.

To: OP

I actually liked reading this background.

Yes, it's against Federation ethics to conduct genetic manipulation, yes, people have had serious penalties for being discovered being modified in such manner (Dr. Bashir of DS9), but in times of war dire straits call for desperate measures and S31 would not be beyond having such ideas to create their own special forces of augmented humans. They would be a great advantage in h2h combat with physically superior alien races, and do things that no unaugmented humans could do.

My take on this is that while DNA manipulation is a big no-no in the Federation, there have been much less disagreement with the subject of cybernetic enhancements. As powerful as 23-24th Century handheld tools and weapons are, imagine how much more effective they would be if they were to be integrated into a humanoid body and controlled via nervous impulses.

A human augmented in such a form in an advanced fashion will very much resemble a Deus Ex style operative that can both fit into "normal" society to gain HUMINT, but when in combat can turn into an almost unstoppable foe with cybernetically enhanced agility and survivability.

You could also have SCE augmented engineers that can pack light (having integrated tools at their disposal) and operate in harsh environments without the need for bulky envirosuits.

Just look at today's proposed infantry augmentation projects and how far we've gone in just a couple decades of conceptual research - with Star Trek levels of tech cybernetic augmentation could be easily implemented with little in the way of ethical dilemmas... or even be completely undetectable to untrained eyes (which suits S31's mission very well).
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Career Officer
# 9
01-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Here is the biography of my "main" toon:

Treyven "The Raven" Corsey is a career Starfleet officer, following in the footsteps of many generations of Corseys who have served the United Federation of Planets. His father, Captain Sullivan Corsey of the U.S.S. Johnston, was killed in the battle of Wolf 359. His paternal grandfather, Carson Corsey, once served as the UFP's Ambassador to Rigel.

At 41 years old, he is one of the youngest Starfleet officers to reach the rank of Vice Admiral. Corsey's previous ship, the Odyssey Star Cruiser U.S.S. Storm Breaker, was destroyed in battle against the Borg while defending a small Federation colony. Corsey was the last member of the crew to leave the vessel, staying on board to draw the fire of the three Borg Cubes away from his crews escape pods.

*Starfleet Biographer's note: Corsey was determined to go down with his ship, following his father to the grave fighting against the Borg. His former First Officer, at great personal risk, beamed aboard, knocked Corsey unconscious and fled the ship, literally seconds before the massive vessels warp core went critical. The officer, since promoted to Captain of her own ship, maintains that Corsey, while being the best Captain she ever served under, has a death wish.*

Corsey, a deeply spiritual man, wrote the following after losing the U.S.S. Storm Breaker to the Borg:
"Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of thy Great Goodness, to restrain our enemies from their terrible wickedness. Grant us victory in battle. Graciously harken to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance across the Heavens from victory to victory, and crush the opression and wickedness of our enemies and establish Thy justice among men and worlds. Oh Lord, may all mine enemies perish in the Wake of the Red Witch. Amen."

Vice Admiral Corsey is currently assigned to the Omega Armada, where he serves with some of Starfleet's best officers. Few men have served with greater distinction.
Fleet Admiral (Retired) Treyven "The Raven" Corsey - Omega Armada

Just remember, folks: Without William Shatner's portrayal of Captain James T. Kirk, there would be no Star Trek.
Rihannsu
# 10
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm thinking about writing a bio for my Lib Borg Human to state that he's not actually a human but an assimilated T-888.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!