Captain
# 11
01-02-2013, 02:00 AM
wouldn't surprise me if a dev would come in here and write: "working as intended"
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 12
01-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Yeah, but Starfleet Academy is in Marin, not San Francisco.
Yeah, but Starfleet Command is in San Francisco.

And I'm pretty sure they are in the same time zone.
Community Moderator
# 13
01-02-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm lost...is this thread debating whether San Francisco has a night time? Of course it does...the game just doesn't have the tech built into the map to show it. Sure they can do it, just whether they will or not.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 14
01-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzout View Post
Me neither. I've been to the Academy on many many occasions and then one time while I was there it dawned on me...it's always daytime at Starfleet Academy! How could this be? Has the Earth of the future ceased to spin on its axis? Did all those infernal combustion engines we drove in the 20th and 21rst centuries stop the Earth dead in its tracks? I had to know. So I beamed up to my ship and flew an orbit around the Earth and noted which continents were in light and which were in darkness. I repeated this again about twelve hours later and discovered that indeed the Earth has stopped rotating! But that isn't the truly puzzling part. The west coast of the USA was in darkness and as we all know Starfleet is in San Francisco. So I beamed down to the Academy to check it out and sure enough...daytime! What strange phenomenon could be causing this? How could the western seaboard of North America be in darkness yet San Francisco be in daylight? My mind boggled. Could it be Q screwing with our heads? Maybe some evil plot by the Klingons? Or maybe a new but yet undiscovered black hole is bending the sun's rays around the planet.

...or maybe it's just STO being sloppy with the details.
it is all just a HOLODECK simulation!
Captain
# 15
01-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Khan did it.

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Career Officer
# 16
01-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Don't go to the Academy at night. I hear rumors that once a year it goes dark for 30 days and salt vampires slaughter and kill everyone.

Or was that some movie with Josh Hartnett....
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I think adding a nighttime would ruin the environment and atmosphere that the Starfleet Academy currently gives.

It's a nice break from the darkness of space.
Career Officer
# 18
01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudgy View Post
Don't go to the Academy at night. I hear rumors that once a year it goes dark for 30 days and salt vampires slaughter and kill everyone.

Or was that some movie with Josh Hartnett....
There's an idea.

At night NPCs disappear with an occasional Security Officer staying at their post. And a rare "apparition" that appears to be a security guard, until you get close and turns into something scary!

Be one heck of an event for Halloween.