Lieutenant
I'd like to share some thoughts based on a thread I read and the Foundry it self. First, the rating system. There just isn't any control there. If someone wants to rant about something that has nothing to do with the mission, they can. Personally, I think that the creator should be able to remove the review within reason that it doesn't really share a decent feedback (I.E. When a STF isn't intended to include combat and someone one-stars it saying that there isn't any ground combat. No duh. That isn't helpful ONE bit in improving the mission). I guess some people think that by doing that the creator will go in and include combat even when he/she doesn't want it to be a combat mission. The reasoning behind why not every mission should include combat is best left for another discussion.

So in conclusion to the feedback and rating system, the system should allow for the creator to remove, and/or GM's, to remove unhelpful reviews of an STF. That is, within reason so that reviews that do reflect the mission are not removed. This would likely involve that everytime a review is removed its reported to a GM or other admin so they can monitor it. It would also be beneficial to warn the reviewer when he/she is posting a review.

Secondly, the Foundry it self. Personally, I'd love to create Foundry missions, and the fact that its only available to Gold Members is annoying. I can't afford to pay but I'd still love the chance to add to the community. I believe that the Foundry could be made available to anyone, I'd say probably to Rear Admiral, Upper Half and above. If Cryptic doesn't want to make it totally free they could make some features/options only available to those paying or with the purchase of zen. And/or even require the payment of Delithium depending on the extent of the mission. That way, everyone at least has the chance to do Foundry.

To me, it just doesn't make sense to place a limit on who can add to the community.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
The foundry is a gold perk for a reason (it uses a LOT of server space)
Career Officer
# 3
12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
The Foundry is available to Silver Players.
I have purchased 8 Foundry Slots.
All it costs is dilithium.
You do not need to be a Gold Member.
Unless suddenly I am Gold and didn't know it.
Captain
# 4
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Nearly everything Sollvax says is either flatly untrue (when facts have a direct bearing) or wildly bizarre (when it comes more to opinions).

Now you know.

It's not a gold 'perk' in any way, everyone can use it. 10,000 dilithium for 4 foundry slots ... is pocket change, really.

As for ratings, all you can reasonably do is let the weight of opinion carry, and ignore the outliers. There's really no effective way to do otherwise that doesn't require fantasty-level GM involvement (there's no way they can hire that number of GMs).
Lieutenant
# 5
12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
Nearly everything Sollvax says is either flatly untrue (when facts have a direct bearing) or wildly bizarre (when it comes more to opinions).

Now you know.

It's not a gold 'perk' in any way, everyone can use it. 10,000 dilithium for 4 foundry slots ... is pocket change, really.

As for ratings, all you can reasonably do is let the weight of opinion carry, and ignore the outliers. There's really no effective way to do otherwise that doesn't require fantasty-level GM involvement (there's no way they can hire that number of GMs).
Oh swell. Thanks. I didn't even know that. So ignore my feedback then...but I'll leave this in case anyone else wonders...
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
As mentioned in another thread about this topic (well one of many threads) an idea I had which could be done is this:

1) Author categorizes their own mission* into one of a few slots such as:
Combat Intensive/Only; Storyline Intensive; Ground; Space; Both; etc... we could develop a short list.

2) The Ratings system needs to change to reflect this so that instead of a general category there are separate categories to be rated upon based upon the author's designation. Again we could create a few items to go with each category.

3) The search options in the foundry can include the categories that way players who only want Space-Combat Intensive missions can quickly find a listing of those...

I hope this is something we can develop and implement.

*we could even have an option to link missions in a series so that they appear bundled together.
There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Empire Veteran
# 7
12-31-2012, 01:26 AM
lol a category system? while a nice idea I'd agree, we can't even get a properly working exchange after what..? 8 months?
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-02-2013, 02:40 AM
OP, while everyone else hates stupid criticism, afraid that comes with the territory of writing stories. Got to live with the good and the bad.

But I wouldn't mind if Cryptic added a report system that could flag trolls or 1-star bandits who just posting comments just to attack people or be a general nuisance.

Also, be nice if they and a sixth category of "Bugged / Not Working", which gives a neutral rating.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-05-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Don't like people calling my posts stupid.
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Excellant!
Good
Okay
Needs Improvement
Terrible

isn't much better than the star system.

==
Worth a replay
Recommend to others
Enjoyable
Playable
Horrible
=
Non-functioning
==

That seems more direct
Captain
# 10
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
*Anyone can buy Foundry slots with dilithium and not for very much of it either.

*There is no way to report the 1 star bandits. How would you do it; report everyone who one star's you and see? Utterly unworkable.

*If someone is actively being abusive you can always report them--likely won't amount to squat, but the option is there.

*While stupid and meaningless "reviews" are obnoxious you have no right to dictate what an acceptable one is. As someone who has sold many stories (and not sold a whole lot more) over the years I have only one piece of helpful advice for dealing with this: Grow a nice callous over that ego or find a new hobby.

*The only reasonable restriction that would cut-down on this would be to restrict the rating of missions to people with at least one published Foundry project. It would be workable and I'm in no way opposed to such an arrangement but there are many good arguments against it and will never happen regardless.