Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 11
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I drifted over to playing a Guramba, but when I used the bortasqu' command ship I basically had a STF weapon set (cannons, autocannon) and a PvP set (beam arrays).

In STF, it's not that hard to have one or two mobility abilities (evasive maneuvers + APO + the emergency power to ... SIF? I forget) for the occasional need to get on point. Otherwise you just park the thing near the cubes and have at it.

In PvP, I'd really treat it like a Federation cruiser... except one with actual teeth. 4 tac consoles + sensor analysis + 2 sci slots for shield boost (or other stuff, if you prefer to rely on hulls more) is potent. Put a tac officer in the universal slot, and you have a lot of really good tactical abilities.


However, what really makes me wonder is the Breen ship -- it's a battlecruiser with 4 tac slots, an even better tac seat, and HUGELY more mobile. Yeah, the bortasqu' has 20% more hull and sensor analysis, but... I really don't think it's worth it anymore.


So, to recap, I think the Bortasqu' compares favorably with vor'cha and k'tinga, if you can tolerate cruiser style maneuvering, but Cryptic came by and capped Bortasqu' in the skull with the Breen free ship. :/
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 251
# 12
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
So why didn't you just come on here and say "I don't fly one cause I don't know how to fly one."? I mean that's what your saying right? Don't worry though, we aren't gonna get into this. You just keep on not being able to do stuff and blaming the stuff, the devs, and anyone but yourself. But please, stop telling other people that they can't do it.

And why the heck are you bringing carriers into this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPP8gt4X7M Budget Bortas in KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZwom0_988 Fleet Vor'cha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8-lDmbpeQ Bortas in Cure and Fleet Event

It is a big slow ship. It has some fun consoles. The ubercannon combined with dem doffs is uber silly. If you don't mind driving a ship like it's a huge assualt ship, its great. Think of a WWII style SP Gun. The other ships are just insanely fast. I really like the console and boff layout on the fleet Vor'cha, but hey, they are all capable ships. The only obvious bonus of the Bortas set is that you do gain 3 ships that you could set up for different missions. I admit I didn't. I simply kept the command version.

Cheers happy flying, and this ship is fun for any borg stf. Except maybe the ground missions. And don't let anyone tell you different.

PS: Romulan or the Transport Escort events all my toons use escorts. Just the way it is those are speedy turny missions. The right tool for the job and all that.
Thissler is not making this up, for I did the same thing. My build was slightly different than Thissler's, but I used uncommon and common gear (only had one or two rare items), Cannons and Turrets, and even a Quantum Torpedo for Torpedo Spread 2. I went through both Khitomer Accord Elite and Infected Elite with this setup and did incredibly well.

In STF's you can line up the shots well enough as the Borg move slowly and give you that time. I would be daft to take the Bortasqu into a PVP match though, but that's just me. Some people are crazy enough to take a cannon equipped Bortas'qu into a PVP match and make it work

Last edited by cliftona91; 01-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,659
# 13
01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
for a fifty-dollar ship, it better be able to handle every possible content at least competently, from PvP, to Path of the Warrior(all six Pi Canis sorties, with optionals), to ALL FOUR space STF's AND Azure Nebula rescue.

see, I've SEEN Vor'chas, Negh'vars and Tor'Kahts that have done this, so the challenge to Bortasque fans is, prove you can make the lumbering space whale cover the big set-C&H, Arena, Pi Canis (A and B with optionals), CSE, KSE, ISE, Hive Onslaught Elite.

Thissler, show me that, and I'll say it's a matter of skill...but then again, skill can make ANYTHING work, even one of those 'starter ships' at Tier 1...

I'll admit it to be a matter of skill, if you can do all of those with a Bort.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 251
# 14
01-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
for a fifty-dollar ship, it better be able to handle every possible content at least competently, from PvP, to Path of the Warrior(all six Pi Canis sorties, with optionals), to ALL FOUR space STF's AND Azure Nebula rescue.

see, I've SEEN Vor'chas, Negh'vars and Tor'Kahts that have done this, so the challenge to Bortasque fans is, prove you can make the lumbering space whale cover the big set-C&H, Arena, Pi Canis (A and B with optionals), CSE, KSE, ISE, Hive Onslaught Elite.

Thissler, show me that, and I'll say it's a matter of skill...but then again, skill can make ANYTHING work, even one of those 'starter ships' at Tier 1...

I'll admit it to be a matter of skill, if you can do all of those with a Bort.
Thissler made a Vo'quv work in PVP: A Vo'quv with cannons to be exact. Have you seen that video yet?

Besides, if he can make that fat whale work in a Capture and Hold, I am sure he can do the same with the Bortasqu. Why? Because manuverability wise, they are roughly the same:

Bortasqu:

Inertia: 18
Turn: 5.5

Vo'quv:

Interia: 20
Turn: 5

Voquv has less tac consoles and a less flexible boff layout, less weapons. But it has hanger bays, subsytem targeting and sensor analysis, and more Sci consoles.

Bortasqu has more tac consoles, a far more flexible boff layou, more weapons. But it has no hanger bays, no subsystem targeting, no sensor analysis (save for the command version), and few Sci consoles.

I am confident he can make a Bortasqu work in PVP
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,659
# 15
01-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftona91 View Post
Thissler made a Vo'quv work in PVP: A Vo'quv with cannons to be exact. Have you seen that video yet?

Besides, if he can make that fat whale work in a Capture and Hold, I am sure he can do the same with the Bortasqu. Why? Because manuverability wise, they are roughly the same:

Bortasqu:

Inertia: 18
Turn: 5.5

Vo'quv:

Interia: 20
Turn: 5

Voquv has less tac consoles and a less flexible boff layout, less weapons. But it has hanger bays, subsytem targeting and sensor analysis, and more Sci consoles.

Bortasqu has more tac consoles, a far more flexible boff layou, more weapons. But it has no hanger bays, no subsystem targeting, no sensor analysis (save for the command version), and few Sci consoles.

I am confident he can make a Bortasqu work in PVP
hmm...but my way, we get another cool Thissler video...
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 251
# 16
01-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
hmm...but my way, we get another cool Thissler video...
Lol, that is true
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,659
# 17
01-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftona91 View Post
Lol, that is true
which might also clue you in as to just how serious the topic really is-outside of Tribble, the Bort's a fifty dollar spend, whereas the the ships he's mentioned (Vor'cha, K'Tinga) are both free ships with store-bought versions of considerably less money.

It's not really a question of whether it's better, it's more of a question of whether or not to spend fifty dollars on a digital ship that the original poster's either lusting after, or has already purchased-it's a case of seeking validation for an emotional purchase decision, either before, or after.

Because, let's face it, this is a game-a supremely irrational construct, everything we do, everything we BUY for this game is an emotion-driven decision, and people LIKE to have those kind of decisions validated by their peers.

It's not really a matter of "Best" or "Worst", it's what do you WANT?

(and, is what you WANT worth fifty dollars to buy?)

In the meantime, it's fun to challenge the conventional wisdom that guages a ship's success by raw DPS numbers and it's performance in scripted content...esp. if it means challenging Thissler to prove a ship's worthiness of that investment by showing that it's capable of making a good showing in a torture-test of content, esp. if said torture-test should result in either (a) a single, long video, or (b) a series of thissler videos-because Thissler vids are FUN to watch-thus for those of us arguing EITHER side, it's a win, and fun is had (along with many, many things exploding.)
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
# 18
01-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks for all the info folks. I haven't dropped $50 yet. I have the 2 year freebie version that I really like the look of, but since I'm coming from a Vorcha Retrofit, it has been a bit of an adjustment. I'll check around for that console to claim one on tribble. I had looked at the normal ship vendor who has it listed for - zen, but it won't let you buy it. I'll see if I can find the other avenue.
"Back off man....I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 19
01-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Yeah, while I think the bortasqu compares reasonably as a ship, I don't think it's at all worth $25 (or $50), and I seriously regret my purchase.

Particularly now with the fleet module thing, you'd be MUCH better off saving the cash for fleet modules. Assuming you can find a KDF fleet that isn't on life support.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,659
# 20
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
Yeah, while I think the bortasqu compares reasonably as a ship, I don't think it's at all worth $25 (or $50), and I seriously regret my purchase.

Particularly now with the fleet module thing, you'd be MUCH better off saving the cash for fleet modules. Assuming you can find a KDF fleet that isn't on life support.
There are a few that are 'selling' access for in-game commodities/etc.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 AM.