Rihannsu
# 11
01-03-2013, 03:39 AM
In canon Trek, cloaking devices are installed into many ships that weren't originally designed for one, with little difficulty. There is no indication of special requirements for a ship to use a cloak, beyond the cloaking device itself. Even the Defiant wasn't designed to use a cloak, it was only added for the mission to the gamma quadrant.

It would be entirely compatible with canon if all ships could take a cloak console.
Captain
# 12
01-03-2013, 03:59 AM
yeah, it should have a built in battlecloak, for sure. it is just so stupid, not to include such a thing with that ship
Captain
# 13
01-03-2013, 04:04 AM
I can't give an opinion regarding the lore, because I'm not that hot on it.

But from a purely game play perspective wouldn't giving the Chel Grett a cloaking device make it a little OP?

The ship is mental as it is. It can take a beating, it can fly circles around most ships (perhaps even give the Klingon a run for their money) and it can pack a punch. Personally I don't think it needs a cloak.

I apologise if this is lore speculation and I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but just in case it is my 2 cents.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
01-03-2013, 04:34 AM
I don't remember them cloaking in the TV series. I think for a free ship, it's fine the way it is...
Ghost of Nimbus III. Commander of the R.R.W. Vengeance.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
01-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Breen do not cloak
Rihannsu
# 16
01-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
In canon Trek, cloaking devices are installed into many ships that weren't originally designed for one, with little difficulty. There is no indication of special requirements for a ship to use a cloak, beyond the cloaking device itself. Even the Defiant wasn't designed to use a cloak, it was only added for the mission to the gamma quadrant.

It would be entirely compatible with canon if all ships could take a cloak console.
Well, yes and no. Yes, the Romulans can install cloaks on most ships. But, no, it's not that easy. I remember in several episodes they mentioned that the cloak has to be precisely calibrated to match the energy signature of the ship.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 17
01-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekritagent View Post

A) I'm not sure this was established canonly, but I thought Breen ships could cloak according to some throwaway dialogue on DS9 and TNG? Do I have that wrong?

B) Is the ship too OP to be fitted with a cloaking device either inherent with the ship (easiest to do for both Fed and KDF) or maybe a cloaking device console?
A, doesn't sound familiar, the only speculation (apart from what's under the suit) about breen technology that i remember was that apparently they might use living ships, or something similar to bio-neural gel packs in their ships (think it was in the VOY episode 'scorpion')

B, From my experiences with the chel, its more than strong enough without a cloak, as for adding a cloaking console that would be 2 consoles for one ship, a bit of a no-no :p
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Career Officer
# 18
01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekritagent View Post
I'm not sure this was established canonly, but I thought Breen ships could cloak according to some throwaway dialogue on DS9 and TNG? Do I have that wrong?
As I'm sure many have said already, it has only ever been speculation from fans.

The only credit to that speculation is how the Breen managed to get so close to Earth (cloaking devices would have greatly enhanced their chances).

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
The explanation in the "Tales of the Dominion War" novel for the successful attack on the Sol System mentions the Breen using a holocloak (which we already have ingame) combined with firing their energy dampener at ESD to disable it.
Heh, it's one thing to knock out a fleet of Starships, but it's something else to knock out Earth Space Dock. Makes you wonder though, if they did have all them weapons (and the ability to take ships and stations offline with them) what defeated the Breen fleet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, yes and no. Yes, the Romulans can install cloaks on most ships. But, no, it's not that easy. I remember in several episodes they mentioned that the cloak has to be precisely calibrated to match the energy signature of the ship.
Kirk and crew managed it just fine.
Rihannsu
# 19
01-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Kirk and crew managed it just fine.
Technically true, but that was an older model cloak that didn't work very well.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 20
01-03-2013, 09:25 AM
In DS9 it was part of the speculation because no one knew much about the Breen, one of the theories was they traveled around cloaked. Things of interest mentioned in DS9 about the Breen as rumors and that did not survive into STO, the Breen actually don't need the suites, there home world is actually quite warm (desert like even) and they have a special dislike for the Romulans and even wanted to claim Romulan space for themselves had they won with the Dominion. Made me always think the Breen were that third major Vulcan race mentioned in TNG, in disguise.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?