Empire Veteran
# 81
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadmbambam View Post
#1 - While you may not consider the Intel graphics a GPU, STO does and says it's supported. It worked fine through Season 6 (although definitely not at high quality.)

#2 - I use very high end GPUs (>$500) on my big computers and have both ATI & NVidia. Both of these computers have the same symptoms - just not as bad as the Intel.

PWE has acknowledged that there's an issue - they just haven't fixed it.
True, STO says it is supported, making that statement before launch time, since then there have been significant changes in Intel's graphics architecture.
It does work without issue on my laptop, which does have Intel 965 Graphics. I never go into PvP on my laptop though, as that would be suicide.
I've heard of many games that do run on this older graphics chip, having issues with the integrated graphics in the i5/i7/etc.

I'm merely stating that you shouldn't EXPECT it to work, just because it worked in the past.
While STO does have timeships, unfortunately the developers themselves have no access to time travel.

Edit: Kerrilyn does have a good point there, about graceful exits upon failure. It shouldn't just 'vanish' from the screen. As it is, I highly reccomend trying the fix I found. Install TeamSpeak 3 and start the 'overlay' plugin. You do not have to be connected to a server, it just works.

Last edited by milestfox; 01-03-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Ensign
# 82
01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
this stinks
Empire Veteran
# 83
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbie13478 View Post
this stinks
Congratulations on your first post to this forum!
May you make many contributions in the future.
Commander
# 84
01-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestfox View Post
True, STO says it is supported, making that statement before launch time, since then there have been significant changes in Intel's graphics architecture.
It does work without issue on my laptop, which does have Intel 965 Graphics.
I've heard of many games that do run on this older graphics chip, having issues with the integrated graphics in the i5/i7/etc.

I'm merely stating that you shouldn't EXPECT it to work, just because it worked in the past.
While STO does have timeships, unfortunately the developers themselves have no access to time travel.
As long as PWE says it's supported, then we SHOULD expect it to work. (PWE's own website - http://sto.perfectworld.com/download - shows the minimum requirements.) If PWE wants to change those requirements, they can, but until then, we EXPECT the software to work on machines that meet the specifications and not just crash like it's got some virus.

And like I said, people (including me) are experiencing this on very high-end ATI & NVidia GPUs.)

Last edited by fadmbambam; 01-03-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 85
01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
And what I'm telling you, is that more modern things have come along with the same name as what they specified. What cryptic then, called Intel Graphics, is not what is now, called Intel Graphics. Not in all cases.

This would be like a company saying their product, made when the model T was new, required 'An Automobile'.. and customers complaining that it quit working when they went faster than 88mph.

Cryptic made their statement, and it was completely valid at that time.

I guess your root complaint is that they have not kept up with their testing of new graphics cards so as to add a disclaimer saying 'Intel HD Graphics (excepting blah blah ones made recently)'.
Empire Veteran
# 86
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Ah, that. I've explained (in my first post), the fix for the crash I've seen recently. It is a temporary solution at best, but you should try it. If it fixes it for you, then happydancetime. If not, then complain to Cryptic.

You're picking at a topic unrelated to the crash.
Ensign
# 87
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
maintenance is over?
Empire Veteran
# 88
01-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Not till branflakes says so, but it is 'scheduled' to be finished around 12:00 EST, in 11 minutes.
Career Officer
# 89
01-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemorime View Post
maintenance is over?
Not unless Branflakes posts confirming so, no.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Empire Veteran
# 90
01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Mmmm bacon.
Closed Thread