Survivor of Romulus
# 11
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Actually as I was originally thinking about that topic as a 3-5 mission arc on my own, what I was going to do was have it all come down to the fed president making these moves and turning the federation into 1940s Germany subtly so no one would notice. The twist being he'd turn out to just be a power hungry guy, no alien infiltrators or anything. But I really don't think i'll ever get to that concept, too many unfinished missions as it is, which is why i put forward the idea here. The X race from "Conspiracy" is just one possible place you could take the plot.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-03-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Career Officer
# 12
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm also of the opinion that it might be better to make a 5 or 6 episode Feature Series Type of thing drawing on the skill of the Foundry community to act like a Dev Team would, some doing the maps, some writing, some editing, some doing character design, etc. to focus all that effort and teamwork into a feature series type of thing that comes out once a damned week, and kicks some major butt.

a full season might ... stress might be too ambitious.
But I guess thinking big means thinking big right.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
I'm also of the opinion that it might be better to make a 5 or 6 episode Feature Series Type of thing drawing on the skill of the Foundry community to act like a Dev Team would, some doing the maps, some writing, some editing, some doing character design, etc. to focus all that effort and teamwork into a feature series type of thing that comes out once a damned week, and kicks some major butt.

a full season might ... stress might be too ambitious.
But I guess thinking big means thinking big right.
^^^ this.

lets start with something small... like a single episode... then should that be a sucsess, we could move onto a 5 part series

of course we're going to need some poor sod to grind dilithium for this account so we can purchase more foundry slots
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Maybe someone could create a shared author account, so 1 person could build sets, another could do etc.
Tsk tsk, this is technically a STO EULA violation. One person per account. Thought about doing this a while back, too. =\
Lieutenant
# 15
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Reposted from Starbase UGC:

I?ve even got an idea for that overarching plot thread. I?ve been thinking about all the complaints that the Federation in STO isn?t the one we know and love. Wars on every front, ignoring the prime directive, etc etc. Maybe there?s a reason for that. Maybe there?s something rotten at the heart of the Federation government, harkening back to ?Conspiracy? from TNG, heck maybe its even those same aliens. IDK, but let?s take it on ourselves to explain over the course of a season why the Federation is what it is today and maybe give the player a chance to change it back. What do you think?
I've thought about this several times, on why Cryptic went that route. I think they did it on purpose, so Cryptic could be able to do what they want to do with the Star Trek Theme, and to let players do what they want to do. This is likely because that STO is theme based, and not sandbox. If STO were sandbox. We players could do so so so much more than what we can do now.

And to note on the mission series, I think its a good idea. We'd need to definitely sit down and talk which way we'd want to go, who would be responsible for what, etc. If authors could collaborate more than just talk, that be better (like have the ability to share maps that you've made with others).

On that note, I have a some suggestions for a plot line for a Foundry Season:

Borg assimilate Earth, destroy the Federation, or most of it. Or they could also go back in time and succeed in doing what Picard prevented them from doing in First Contact, and the only Federation survivors are you and a task force that followed you into the time portal to try and stop the Borg. Then since they succeeded you'd have to find a way to restore the timeframe.

Klingons win the war, and seriously hurt the Federation, maybe even conquer the Federation. Federation then becomes part of the Klingon Empire.

Mirror Universe agents find a way to join the two universes, thusly making the Terran Empire exist in both. You are one of few remaining independents set out to thwart the Empire, or as a twist, you become part of them.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Lieutenant
# 16
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Actually as I was originally thinking about that topic as a 3-5 mission arc on my own, what I was going to do was have it all come down to the fed president making these moves and turning the federation into 1940s Germany subtly so no one would notice. The twist being he'd turn out to just be a power hungry guy, no alien infiltrators or anything. But I really don't think i'll ever get to that concept, too many unfinished missions as it is, which is why i put forward the idea here. The X race from "Conspiracy" is just one possible place you could take the plot.
That sounds a lot like the Terran Empire, which already exists in the Star Trek universe.
Captain
# 17
01-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Ah, very nice! I wasn?t able to get online yesterday and was half-expecting this to be buried. It seems like we certainly have some people interested in the idea of doing a big group project so I think we should start getting some ideas together.

The first thing we need is a super secret headquarters/website where we can start hashing-out the details. I can throw together a cheapy wordpress site but I really think we need something where we can set-up a proper forum section to really get into this and I don?t think you can do that with those. If anyone knows more about this, which wouldn?t be hard, we should try to get started as soon as possible before losing steam.
Lieutenant
# 18
01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Ah, very nice! I wasn?t able to get online yesterday and was half-expecting this to be buried. It seems like we certainly have some people interested in the idea of doing a big group project so I think we should start getting some ideas together.

The first thing we need is a super secret headquarters/website where we can start hashing-out the details. I can throw together a cheapy wordpress site but I really think we need something where we can set-up a proper forum section to really get into this and I don?t think you can do that with those. If anyone knows more about this, which wouldn?t be hard, we should try to get started as soon as possible before losing steam.
There's a lot of places that will do this for free, and the great thing for something like this, you wouldn't really need a load of storage. I found http://ucoz.com, though, which is probably better than most free things out there. 400 mb of storage and unlimited traffic. If you ever need more space hosting cost is low. I believe they have forums too but if not, http://proboards.com will get the job done and is pretty decent service too unless you want something more sophisticated, then I suggest http://phpbb.com and you're going to need to good hosting service that will support what PHPBB needs (I've used PHPBB before and I know there is a free host out there that will take it but I can't remember who).

If you want it secret, the website would be best used to share info on the Operation, and then you can shut people out of the forums easily to keep them away from stealing story ideas and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
^^^ this.

lets start with something small... like a single episode... then should that be a sucsess, we could move onto a 5 part series

of course we're going to need some poor sod to grind dilithium for this account so we can purchase more foundry slots
Grinding for Delithium is easy. Also, sometimes it takes more than one episode to get an idea across. One episode could be incomplete but the other would make it whole (think of it as 2 part episode on the TV series you love).

Last edited by captainlonghorn; 01-04-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm not able to post a response yet off of the link you provided, so I figured I'd put my two cents here.

I'm on my second foundry mission and I'm already running into quite a few obstacles due to some of the limitations. With that in mind, I am all for all of us getting together with like-minded authors to put together a list of things we would love to see once the Foundry pulls out of the beta phase.

Now, as far as the grand convergence of a bunch of authors to do a series, it's a great idea as far as putting great talent together to tell a story. I think, though, before we focus on such a thing, we would all need to get a particular vibe going. Everyone writes differently, and we all have different techniques and opinions on how to present things.

That said, maybe what we should do first is show each other our "tricks of the trade". I don't mean just a tutorial of "how-to's". More like fine-tuning the rhythm of a symphony orchestra, or the go-to play for an NFL team. For all the authors who are interested in creating fun and engaging content for others, it would be beneficial to everyone interested if we all knew what the other likes to do the most, and put our individual techniques on the table, with the goal of finding the easiest and best way of doing one thing. Thus, eventually we will find that groove we would need to get a group project going. Since we are all writing on individual accounts, this to me is the only way for a group series to maintain consistency and plausibility.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC

Last edited by skydawnknight; 01-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Lieutenant
# 20
01-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Well, I don't think a particular style is needed, perhaps we could all stick to our creative ways, as long as the missions go in the direction the series is going. To support this, instead of multiple authors creating missions based on the same POV maybe have the authors create POV from different sides of the storyline.