Career Officer
# 31
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Well, it was actually a combination:

There was a saboteur who had taken control of the defense satellites, who was taken out by Picard.
There was also a Starfleet ship (U.S.S. Columbia, unknown class) trapped inside the disabled starbase that was still functioning and cut its way through the space doors.
And of course the Enterprise arrived in time to help free Columbia by tearing the space doors away with a tractor beam.
Together they overwhelmed the Breen ships that were pounding earth at that point.
Which book was that?
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Rihannsu
# 32
01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Together they overwhelmed the Breen ships that were pounding earth at that point.
Problem comes the "pounding" with that ship weaponry would had left nothing behind, instead San Fransisco was just bombed.

Its inconsistent, granted its already inconsistent in the series as how they go there and managed to do so little damage compared what a Starship could do.
Captain
# 33
01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It's also possible that they used soemthing more like mask energy signature....
I beleive this would be it as it was never mentioned iirc they can cloak or the Klingons would of had a harder time with them.

The cardies never had cloaking technoloy or they would of have an easy time with the maquie.

There is no such thing as a Battle cloak.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers

Last edited by age03; 01-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Captain
# 34
01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Problem comes the "pounding" with that ship weaponry would had left nothing behind, instead San Fransisco was just bombed.

Its inconsistent, granted its already inconsistent in the series as how they go there and managed to do so little damage compared what a Starship could do.

Your enemies dead or scattered or your enemies bloodied and in fear of your capabilities.

What's a greater victory?
Career Officer
# 35
01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
Which book was that?
"Tales of the Dominion War", specifically the short story "Eleven Hours Out".
Career Officer
# 36
01-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post

The damage was already ridicilously low compared to what modern artillery could do.
But given the laughably low firepower the Borg sphere had in "First Contact" it's at least constent to some degree.
I think this is a problem that stems from the B&B era where a direct shot from a deadly weapon was something people could just walk off.
This was transferred into the space battles as well.

According to the novel the Breen managed to do this with three ships (which is at least not contradicted by canon) and it's even mentioned in the book that their firepower is rather weak.

"How did they get past our defenses?"
"A few ways, I'd guess", Amarante offered, and Picard listened with some interest to her theories. "First, notice that they're using conventional and rather weak plasma weapons. More high energy phasers or phton torpedoes would have been impossible to hide from scans at checkpoints[...]"

So in soft-canon there's at least an explanation where canon leaves use guessing why they didn't just use the equivalent of a few tactical nukes to turn the area into a crater.
Career Officer
# 37
01-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
There was also a Starfleet ship (U.S.S. Columbia, unknown class) trapped inside the disabled starbase that was still functioning and cut its way through the space doors. And of course the Enterprise arrived in time to help free Columbia by tearing the space doors away with a tractor beam. Together they overwhelmed the Breen ships that were pounding earth at that point.
Two ships defeated a Breen Fleet? Oh My.
Career Officer
# 38
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Sounds a STO mission
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekritagent View Post
I'm not sure this was established canonly, but I thought Breen ships could cloak according to some throwaway dialogue on DS9 and TNG? Do I have that wrong?

Is the ship too OP to be fitted with a cloaking device either inherent with the ship (easiest to do for both Fed and KDF) or maybe a cloaking device console?
In what battle did you ever see a Breen ship cloak? Or any dominion ship for that matter?
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Two ships defeated a Breen Fleet? Oh My.
It was three against two and one of them was a Sovereign class battlecruisers. I'd take the Sovereign over the Gel Geht anyday. Especially this Sovereign. Enterprise had the same phaser banks as Spacedock, a Quantum turret that could fire in almost any direction, and an aft photon launcher. She was a tough ship.