Lt. Commander
# 161
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Tech support is more than aware if the marious issues with AMD graphics cards. I personally pointed out the issue with AA during Tribble testing and submitted a bug report and did the same when it hit Holodeck. Having a Radeon 7950 3G card and only being able to run 2x AA on Holodeck since Season 7 launched sucks! I was running 8x AA before that without any issues. Anything above 2x AA gives me 6 to 7 frames per second but yet I can play Far Cry 3 on all of the highest settings. STO carries the nVidia logo so AMD issues will always be a non-priority. The same applies for Intel graphics in the sense that they become a non-priority due to the game displaying the nVidia logo.

Look at the bottom of this page, and what do you see? Both the nVidia logo and the Intel logo. And those are not there to tell you what the game runs best on. That's what the game requirements are for. No those are just bloody product endorsements or maybe sponsors. And they don't mean all that much! The main problem is that the Devs can't build a game that covers every graphics card, they don't have the time. And apparently don't always have the time and data needed to fix the bugs that do pop up.
Commander
# 162
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1ace View Post
Yeah I feel like they should have had this fixed by now. But I refuse to give into the gamer rage. I already did that and nothing happened, now I and just resigned and waiting for them to get around to fixing it. I told the tech support I talked to that the Devs should be working the holidays to find a fix. But of course no response.
Quote:
Look at the bottom of this page, and what do you see? Both the nVidia logo and the Intel logo. And those are not there to tell you what the game runs best on. That's what the game requirements are for. No those are just bloody product endorsements or maybe sponsors. And they don't mean all that much! The main problem is that the Devs can't build a game that covers every graphics card, they don't have the time. And apparently don't always have the time and data needed to fix the bugs that do pop up.
Well... yesterday, STO crashed on my over 10 times (plus crashing my machine3.) Each of those STO crashes created bug reports and most of them 1GB+ dumps that were sent. Since Season 7 has started, I've probably sent them half a TB of dump files (thankfully, I have a very fast ISP,) but they just don't respond. PWE has plenty of data to fix this. I just doubt it's a priority.
Commander
# 163
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadmbambam View Post
Well... yesterday, STO crashed on my over 10 times (plus crashing my machine3.) Each of those STO crashes created bug reports and most of them 1GB+ dumps that were sent. Since Season 7 has started, I've probably sent them half a TB of dump files (thankfully, I have a very fast ISP,) but they just don't respond. PWE has plenty of data to fix this. I just doubt it's a priority.
If your PC crashes this is unlikely to be STOs fault per se.
A hardware or driver problem is much more likely.

If STOs renderer was so busted up as to crash drivers and machines this problem would be much more common.
Of course it could be a simple matter of incompatibility between driver, engine and hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 164
01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Well not really. The game before Season 7 was working fine. Now I have the same problem, I can't go to ground maps and some space maps cause my graphic driver to crash. And then the game freezes my entire computer. Just like fadmbambam's error just not as bad. SO NO IT IS DEFIANTLY THE ****ING GAME.
Career Officer
# 165
01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
The Intel logo refers to CPU's, not GPU's.

Quote:
Well not really. The game before Season 7 was working fine. Now I have the same problem, I can't go to ground maps and some space maps cause my graphic driver to crash. And then the game freezes my entire computer. Just like fadmbambam's error just not as bad. SO NO IT IS DEFIANTLY THE ****ING GAME.
This tends to be the trend amoung a lot of players I regularly play with. Lowering their settins to the absolute minimum in some cases still fails to prevent the game from crashing for them. A lot of these issues came with Season 7 so blaming the game when a particular point introduces a crapload of bugs that were reported on teh test server means, the Dev's aren't doing their jobs!

Last edited by jcsww; 01-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Lieutenant
# 166
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Hey, at least some of you guys can get on the game. My character is at the Earth Space Dock and when I take 3 steps forward, it crashes.

I can't even check if i'm successfully selling items or work on my Duty Officers, its unplayable.

I don't doubt the Devs know about this and I don't doubt that they will eventually fix it. I do however, doubt that they care since all the blame is going on to the Graphics Cards themselves.

Many people including myself could play STO perfectly fine before Season 7 and now its basically broken for us. You can't blame our systems when the problem arises in a way like that.
Commander
# 167
01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamericax View Post
You can't blame our systems when the problem arises in a way like that.
Wrong. Did your driver change in any way?
If it did: that might be the problem, if it didn't: that might be the problem, too.

Culpability on Cryptics part implies they've made a mistake, which is causing these problems for people.
That is possible (and the case with the black polygons some people get), but it's also possible that they actually did a fine job and it's the drivers that do not work correctly, as only turns out now.
Lieutenant
# 168
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
Wrong. Did your driver change in any way?
If it did: that might be the problem, if it didn't: that might be the problem, too.

Culpability on Cryptics part implies they've made a mistake, which is causing these problems for people.
That is possible (and the case with the black polygons some people get), but it's also possible that they actually did a fine job and it's the drivers that do not work correctly, as only turns out now.
It worked fine before Season 7. The problem arose so I updated my driver to see if it would fix anything and it didnt. I was still unable to play in both cases.

Half or at least a good portion of the players use Laptops and have this issue. You can't say that EVERYONE who has this issue changed their driver in anyway. I understand they addressed the issue, but that doesn't help our situation and the fact that we can't play.
"The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
Lt. Commander
# 169
01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I tired updating my graphics driver. Rolling it back and reinstalling it. I even tried updating my BIOS. AND NOTHING WORKED! So no I am pretty sure the fault is with Cryptic/PWE, and since they have admitted the problem and are working on it. I don't think arguing that it could still be the players helps at all. If this is the way you diagnose computer problems, then please, NEVER WORK ON THEM EVER AGAIN YOU ****.
Lieutenant
# 170
01-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Something happened to me yesterday rather accidentally that grossly improved my graphics as well as performance and I'm no longer getting black "tearing" in space maps. I had opened my inventory and it appeared in the upper right hand corner of my screen because I was selling and buying and moving windows around... Anywho, I went to close the inventory box by clicking on the x in the corner but instead of killing the box, it minimized the game and yes, I do play in fullscreen. So the game minimized to a windowed version and I simply clicked on the in-game Restore button (the icon sandwiched between the close and minimize button on any Winblows window).

Doing that somehow set all my video settings to exactly what I needed which made the game far more beautiful as well as making it run a hell of a lot better. From a tech standpoint, I can only assume that the game really did revert or go to a video setting that really did work well on my machine.

In closing I hope that you are able to do this little trick and hopefully it either works for you or at the very least improves your experience.

Best regards,

Jenna

Been playing since launch.
Closed Thread