Career Officer
# 21 Hang in there...
12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, individuals are emboldened by the anonymity of the game and the internet as a whole. Perfect World/Cryptic should have a ZERO tolerance policy that is enforced and not just lip service written into their terms of service.

As others have said, ignore the bad ones, get better, play with friends and smile while they are exploding.

Best of Luck!
Ensign
# 22
01-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Hey OP, our fleet responds to reports of spawn camping and has kicked these bullys off the spawn many times. You are not the only one they harrass. Take a screen shot of any racial slurs, I always do. Pasting chat can be altered so is not real proof.
Ensign
# 23
01-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbf2p View Post
Hey OP, our fleet responds to reports of spawn camping and has kicked these bullys off the spawn many times. You are not the only one they harrass. Take a screen shot of any racial slurs, I always do. Pasting chat can be altered so is not real proof.
I just want to say thanks to all (we can spot the adults from the children). But whats surprised me is the number of people that have mentioned problems with the same players in the same place to me since I made this post.

It seems they are known for this!
Career Officer
# 24
01-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Three simple words.

" Just ignore them. "

Works with my idiot neighbor's, drives them spare.

=3
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Cryptic, I'll take your fancy T6 Ships and blow them out of the star's with my mighty T5 Vor'Cha!

Last edited by crashdragon; 01-01-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: BranFlakes was watching me.
Career Officer
# 25
01-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Although I do agree that ignoring these kind of ppl may work sometimes, if the problem persists the company who distributes and owns the rights to an environment/game should legally be obligated to handle this situation or risk prosecution themselves. Sounds harsh, I know, but inevitably STO is an online community and culture. Given that this is in fact STAR TREK of all things there should be a ZERO tolerance policy on said behaviour! These individuals should be banned from the game entirely for being racist!

Cyberbulling has become an epidemic and one that needs to be addressed by the community on whole. I think the names of these individuals should be posted to 1) shame them and 2) give us all a heads up as to who to ignore and avoid via the in-game tools. I have heard and seen other players behave terribly against others and its uncalled for. This is, after all, a game. That being said, if you ever need an extra ship let me know.... I am always up for hunting bullies.
Commander
# 26
01-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
... if the problem persists the company who distributes and owns the rights to an environment/game should legally be obligated to handle this situation or risk prosecution themselves.
There are countries (Germany for instance) where the service provider/host (in this case, Cryptic) can be actually held accountable. Unfortunatly, in the U.S. it does not seem to be case.

Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some pew pew PVP action!

Last edited by ilhansk; 01-01-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 27
01-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Racism is wrong. There is no disputing that fact.

Though how are they to punish it when it happens and at what point does it start?

The first incident? The fiftieth? How do can they be sure after the fact that it was racist?
Not some sad mistake.

I think thats why we do not see any decisive movement on these incidents, simply becuase PWE or Cryptics legal team may not have the experience..

Personaly I say fight back the best you can and do not take the words of idiots whpm think skin color actual means ypur not of the human race.
Pity them instead for they will never grow beyond thier mindset.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Ensign
# 28
01-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I am aware of a single player who has used racial epithets in zone. While I have no direct knowledge of Cryptic's response, his manifold alternate accounts suggest he has been punished in some way.

Several points need to be made, however, with regard to the events and climate described by the OP. All too often, players arrive on Otha expecting to complete the mission and be on their way with no opposition whatsoever. It's an open PvP zone, and competition -- within each faction as well as red versus blue -- is an integral part of the challenge.

There are many ways of successfully managing this situation. Immediately hurling insults and profanities at players -- demanding your right to complete the mission unmolested -- are not among them. Most players will leave you alone if you ask nicely. A bit of diplomacy accompanied by a a dose of humility goes a long way. Heck, if you're truly hapless or just really polite, many people will help you to complete the mission. I've gone so far as to give people better weapons or armor when it was obvious they really needed them.

As for camping: Yes, some players do it. Personally, I abhor it. If, however, you immediately fire as you are respawning, most players will return fire and not regard it as camping. I happen to agree with them.

Any spawn is neutral territory, and respawning players should have a moment to switch weapons, devise a new tactic, or just catch their breath. Neutrality, though, has its limits. If you're on the spawn and you take hostile action...well, expect to be repaid in kind
Closed Thread