Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,345
# 31
01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't think that the Reman/Romulan sets are that much worse than the other endgame sets. They are just intended for very specific roles and ways to use them.

They give a speed bonus to plasma torpedoes, so they are good for torpedo ships based on plasma torpedos, such as the Romulan Hyper and the Omega (in addition to regular ones). On a torpedo ship, you run full power to shields, so the lack of any resistance bonuses on those shields does not strike as hard. The capacity of the shields is also rather high, so they can possibly survive one of those NPC one-shot crits we all find so annoying.

As I see it, the Reman set is for a defensive role, while the Romulan set has an offensive component with its bonuses, better for torpedp-boat escorts than sci ships.

The only real issue I have with these sets is that there is no equivalent to Elie STFs, rewards-wise, to get Romulan Marks, of which you need tons.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
# 32
01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
From how I understand the games target and damage system works this may be really hard to do but I'll put the idea out anyway just in case.

I'd like to see an [AntiAdapt] that works in the manner of when an enemy fires at you while you have a shield with that property they have a chance of getting a defuff stacked on them that reduces their damage resist vs the damage type they hit you with.
I think it would be a nice option away from the ever increasing tank spiral and would make a nice offensive set bonus that would make sense on the Reman or Romulan end gear.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 255
# 33
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This is considered working as designed for the time being.

The purpose of the Romulan Space Set is that it is a valid option to be considered in lieu of obtaining the Reman Space Set. It offers a stat variation that some captains may prefer over the Reman Set, and a different ship overlay visual with the Shield.

They have the same set bonuses, the same costs in the Reputation System and the same tier requirements.

Again, it's an optional variation of the existing set. Not intended to be an upgrade.

Of course... saying this doesn't preclude the set from being reviewed, tuned and changed in the future.
We're not looking for upgrades, we're looking for usefulness. Everything else in the game that has set bonuses is an upgrade to reman/romulan.

At the end of the day I understand you're going to do what you want, and if you want to go the "get it? romulan/reman are buddies so their sets are similar" path then so be it. I'll accept it. But I don't have to like it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
They give a speed bonus to plasma torpedoes, so they are good for torpedo ships based on plasma torpedos
The bonus is about 1 second faster at 10 KM which takes about 1 second per km for a HY energy bolt to reach it's target. It's not much of a bonus. I would only consider using this set for such a reason if the speed was increased considerably, and even then I'd be hard pressed to use it over adapted or omega or maco or Jem. Frankly the 2 piece bonus should be switched to 30% plasma torp damage. That would actually be useful. That would probably make me happy with the romulan set despite being nearly identical to reman, because that's just how useless increasing your plasma torp speed really is.

Maybe it's considerably faster with mkxii versions, but it's slow as dirt with mkxi blue. Still, I doubt I'll be using these sets over everything else out there. I would love a reason to use reman/romulan. I'll even purchase them. No doubt about it or else I wasted my time getting to tier V. But they'll just sit around collecting dust, so I guess I wasted my time getting to tier V anyways.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 489
# 34
01-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This is considered working as designed for the time being.

The purpose of the Romulan Space Set is that it is a valid option to be considered in lieu of obtaining the Reman Space Set. It offers a stat variation that some captains may prefer over the Reman Set, and a different ship overlay visual with the Shield.

They have the same set bonuses, the same costs in the Reputation System and the same tier requirements.

Again, it's an optional variation of the existing set. Not intended to be an upgrade.

Of course... saying this doesn't preclude the set from being reviewed, tuned and changed in the future.
Thank you for replying Jeremy.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 226
# 35
01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
Romulan marks are crazy easy to get via epohh breeding, and you can do most of the work to get them while offline. While I wouldn't be sad if the sets were as powerful, to say the journey to tier 5 is equally difficult is not at all true. I got 1300 Romluan marks from the winter epohhs without more then 5-10 mins a day effort, and had I been really serious about it I could have gotten a lot more. How long would it take to get 1300 Borg marks?
You're like a replay of fleet chat. Folks droning on and on -blah-blah-blah- about how easy it is to get RM's if you're JUST willing to play paddy cake with alien rabbits. I don't logon the STO because I want to simulate livestock breeding, and I don't care HOW easy it is.

Cryptic would serve its customer base far better by presenting multiple ways to and end.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,345
# 36
01-06-2013, 03:03 AM
It'd be much better if they just reduced the cooldown for Tau Dewa Sector Patrol from 20 hours to 30 minutes...

But well, this way I will just have to wait and do my daily.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 777
# 37
01-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
The bonus is about 1 second faster at 10 KM which takes about 1 second per km for a HY energy bolt to reach it's target. It's not much of a bonus. I would only consider using this set for such a reason if the speed was increased considerably, and even then I'd be hard pressed to use it over adapted or omega or maco or Jem. Frankly the 2 piece bonus should be switched to 30% plasma torp damage. That would actually be useful. That would probably make me happy with the romulan set despite being nearly identical to reman, because that's just how useless increasing your plasma torp speed really is.

Maybe it's considerably faster with mkxii versions, but it's slow as dirt with mkxi blue. Still, I doubt I'll be using these sets over everything else out there. I would love a reason to use reman/romulan. I'll even purchase them. No doubt about it or else I wasted my time getting to tier V. But they'll just sit around collecting dust, so I guess I wasted my time getting to tier V anyways.
I have only tested it with the Romulan Hyper torpedo and they all remain very slow, both normal and HY ones. Does it even work with the hyper torpedo, because the HY ones did not seem to outrun the normal ones?
Also, I think all torpedos from the Romulan launcher should benefit from the bonus as they are basically all just small and big targetable 'HY' torpedos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckingram View Post
You're like a replay of fleet chat. Folks droning on and on -blah-blah-blah- about how easy it is to get RM's if you're JUST willing to play paddy cake with alien rabbits. I don't logon the STO because I want to simulate livestock breeding, and I don't care HOW easy it is.

Cryptic would serve its customer base far better by presenting multiple ways to and end.
I tried to ignore this silly space rabbit hunt when season 7 started because it seemed unfitting for a KDF character, but then I noticed that this is actually the only option to get a decent amount of Romulan Marks. The rewards from Azure Nebula Rescue is laughable in comparison. So I got over it and started tagging some Epohh's *sigh*
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,477
# 38
01-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
I tried to ignore this silly space rabbit hunt when season 7 started because it seemed unfitting for a KDF character, but then I noticed that this is actually the only option to get a decent amount of Romulan Marks. The rewards from Azure Nebula Rescue is laughable in comparison. So I got over it and started tagging some Epohh's *sigh*
Mine Trap and Ensnared during bonus time yield some serious marks.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 777
# 39
01-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Mine Trap and Ensnared during bonus time yield some serious marks.
Good luck starting those when playing a KDF-character. Even during Fleetmark/Reputation events our queues rarely fill with enough players
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,345
# 40
01-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Mine Trap and Ensnared during bonus time yield some serious marks.
You call 20-40 marks "Serious"? No. Elite STF's give serious marks. But of the wrong type.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.