Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lieutenant
# 21
01-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Orbital weapons should only really be used as a final solution for several reasons. Irreversible environmental damage, friendly fire, innocent bystanders vaporized etc. If I where president of the UFP I'd be dusting off old earth/terran empire ground tactics, barbaric but effective.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzroy View Post
Orbital weapons should only really be used as a final solution for several reasons. Irreversible environmental damage, friendly fire, innocent bystanders vaporized etc. If I where president of the UFP I'd be dusting off old earth/terran empire ground tactics, barbaric but effective.
That highlighted bit.

"Federation News: Special Report - 212 Dartarian school children and teachers were killed today when the Federation Starship U.S.S. nOObSlayer fired on the building from orbit. Their Intelligence gathering had suggested that enemy forces were occuping the structure to launch attacks on war relief and aid station. Security forces took control of the site after the bombardment. No enemy casualties were found in the rubble."

That bit is why Air Superiority has only worked in warfare do to a dedicated ground element to make it work. Wars/Skirmishes/Peace Keeping that has been conducted extensively by air sureriority, hasn't worked. Strategies were changed to implement dedicated ground force.

Special operations groups augmented with air superiority, haven't worked. They needed more dedicated ground forces.

This is why wartime tactics have been written to revolve around ground forces, more specifically, the Infantry. Everything is there to support them in war.
This is not as good as it used to be...
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
01-06-2013, 01:38 AM
You know the actual definition of a marine is a member of a body of soldiers who is trained to serve on both land and sea. So technicaly every person in starfleet is a marine.

That said i dont see why theer wouldnt be specialized general infintry traind in advanced ground combat techniques as well as general medical and engineering knowlage. Such troops would be deployable for relief, aid, and support duties as well as combat.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
01-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Actually starfleet officers are closest to naval officers
Captain
# 25
01-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
It is also fiction so there's really no right and wrong. Write your own Starfleet Corps of Marines

(There are already a specialized Corps of Engineers).
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
01-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
A marine IS a naval officer. Thats kinda the point.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Survivor of Romulus
# 27
01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
A Marine is NOT A naval officer

Aboard a ship the ranking naval officer is in charge

ASHORE the ranks of marines come into play

Marines are not the navy
they are assigned to ships

but a Marine commander is out ranked on a ship by The ranking naval officer (even if he is an ensign)
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
01-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
A Marine is NOT A naval officer

Aboard a ship the ranking naval officer is in charge

ASHORE the ranks of marines come into play

Marines are not the navy
they are assigned to ships

but a Marine commander is out ranked on a ship by The ranking naval officer (even if he is an ensign)
You are thinking of the United States Marines. Which differes from classical definitions of marines. Since the USMC is its own organization seperate from the navy it's not the same thing.

I was talking about the definition of what a marine is, disambiguated from any current or past orginizations to bear the title.

Captain
# 29
01-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Quote:
A marine is a member of an infantry force that specializes in naval operations such as amphibious assault. In some countries, a marine force is often part of a navy, but can also be under army or independent command.

Historically, tasks undertaken by marines have included providing protection from war while at sea, reflecting the pressed nature of the ships' company and the risk of mutiny. Other tasks would include boarding of vessels during combat or capture of prize ships and providing manpower for raiding ashore in support of the naval objectives. Marine elements would also contribute to the campaign ashore, in support of the military objective.
Seriously a marine force could be anything, no point arguing over the specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_(military)
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
01-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
Seriously a marine force could be anything, no point arguing over the specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_(military)
That was the point of my statement(s).

i think it would be neat to have a core of marines. Probably call it somthing else since it wouldn't be dedicated to combat only. But a well trained rapid response force able to adapt to any situation planetside seems right.