Commander
# 1 Buff Tachyon Beam please?
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I run level 3 Tachyon Beam with 6 ranks in Flow Capacitors, 85 Aux power and I STILL barely scratch BoPs, so I think its a tad lot underpowered, even the low level one. Do whatever you need to do for PvP, but please buff it in PvE at least at higher levels.

It should have more effect on shields to begin with. First increase the shield drain per pulse by 100% (it deals double what it currently does).

Then maybe add one of these Suggestions:

- Debuff Target's Shield Resistance for X seconds during and after the effect

- Increase Bleedthrough rate of all weapons: +20% (30% total) Level 1, +30% (40% total) Level 2, +40% (50% total) Level 3 for X seconds

- Completely Disable Target's Shield regen for X seconds during and after the effect

- Regenerate player's shields for amount drained during effect and/or Apply an Aux modified Shield resistance to player for X seconds after effect

Thoughts?
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Captain
# 2
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Or you can stop trying to drain the shields off of NPCs with tachyon beam and use tetryon, or... heaven forbid... use SST? Or ES? Since both of those are far more effective for dealing with mobs.

I would also recommend tetryon weapons if you want shields to go that badly. And only 85 aux? No wonder you aren't doing much of anything to shields.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Or you can stop trying to drain the shields off of NPCs with tachyon beam and use tetryon, or... heaven forbid... use SST? Or ES? Since both of those are far more effective for dealing with mobs.

I would also recommend tetryon weapons if you want shields to go that badly. And only 85 aux? No wonder you aren't doing much of anything to shields.
Even with 125, six points in Flow Capacitors, and a purple Mark XI console, it only does ~370 shield damage per pulse. It's dramatically underpowered for a single-target ability and needs to be buffed.
Commander
# 4
01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:

How much should it possibly take? For a one target power, and its supposed to be an alternative to things like subsystem targeting and tetryon weapons. I don't care about workarounds. I'm saying this ability is underpowered and it should be buffed.
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Captain
# 5
01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
Even with 125, six points in Flow Capacitors, and a purple Mark XI console, it only does ~370 shield damage per pulse. It's dramatically underpowered for a single-target ability and needs to be buffed.
This ability is supposed to be combined with your weapons, to enhance your damage output, not replace it. And 370 per pulse that cannot be dodged? That's pretty powerful. Mostly again, you cannot dodge it, you cannot really run from it, and I am pretty sure it's easy as hell to aim.

I think we're all just spoiled by the NPC ones that drain your shields to nothing in no time flat.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Career Officer
# 6
01-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Or you can stop trying to...

You're suggestions are all "use something else to drain shields".

Tachyon has one ability: drain shields.

If the suggestion is to use something else, then it clearly is not fulfilling its function (which it isn't).

Tachyon in its current state is a waste of a LTC slot against NPCs.

370 per pulse, or even 500 per pulse, is irrelevant against the giant shield allotments of NPCs - whether used to "ehance" (lol) your weapons or otherwise.

Can't be dodged?

When was the last time an NPC dodged nearly anything?

The only NPCs that even have a remotely decent defense score to "dodge" things are fighters and torpedos. Everything else moves like its mired in mud, and you will have a 95% or higher hit rate against using 0 ACC weapons.

For the record, that's 3 different people telling you that you are incorrect in 3 different ways.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 01-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Captain
# 7
01-06-2013, 12:33 AM
You'll have to forgive me, I had PvP in mind. And if you asked me of Tachyon beam was useless on NPCs, I would agree whole-heartedly due to their insane amounts of HP and shields.

But on the flip side, again with PvP in mind, you can't really buff it without causing an uproar on that end of the spectrum. I seem to remember that things like tachyon beam being too effective were the reason that a lot of sci powers (tachyon beam included) got nerfed. Hard.

For it to work properly on NPCs, you would need to do a minimum of 1k per pulse. MINIMUM. And that's just for small mobs, like spheres and NPC cruisers. To be effective on the boss level ships (dreadnought class ships), it would need to be almost 4k per pulse. Now imagine that being used in PvP. Suddenly it becomes Science Ships Online (granted I would highly approve of this and find it VERY amusing). Not exactly what we want... to say nothing of the rage and nerf threads that would appear (*cough cough* tier 4 omega superior shield regen passive... *cough cough*).

Last edited by hereticknight085; 01-06-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Captain
# 8
01-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, I had PvP in mind. And if you asked me of Tachyon beam was useless on NPCs, I would agree whole-heartedly due to their insane amounts of HP and shields.

But on the flip side, again with PvP in mind, you can't really buff it without causing an uproar on that end of the spectrum. I seem to remember that things like tachyon beam being too effective were the reason that a lot of sci powers (tachyon beam included) got nerfed. Hard.

For it to work properly on NPCs, you would need to do a minimum of 1k per pulse. MINIMUM. And that's just for small mobs, like spheres and NPC cruisers. To be effective on the boss level ships (dreadnought class ships), it would need to be almost 4k per pulse. Now imagine that being used in PvP. Suddenly it becomes Science Ships Online (granted I would highly approve of this and find it VERY amusing). Not exactly what we want... to say nothing of the rage and nerf threads that would appear (*cough cough* tier 4 omega superior shield regen passive... *cough cough*).
Starship Power Insulators
Rihannsu
# 9
01-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Seems the logical solution is setting it to percentage-based damage, with its current output as a minimum damage output to keep it from being useless against players.
Career Officer
# 10
01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, I had PvP in mind.
6 to 9 ranks in PI +whatever your gear gives you pretty much handles Tachyon Beam.