Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Career Officer
# 21 try this
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bames1701 View Post
Sir, I ran and installed the latest Intel update with no effect. I am not sure where to go from here. Also is anyone else having problems with the support function? I get an error message stating that support is not available. Any help would be grateful.
your problems is that the latest driver is getting a conflict with the game code.

Think of it this way, the 1000's graphics card speak a 1000's different Lagrange and STO speaks a entirely different language from those. The driver is the translator. Now STO changed it meaning of a few words, and although 990 drivers can understand, 10 can not.. we are part of that 10.

Your most recent driver doesn't understand and just throws it hands up at it. Check the if you are running a intel HD driver, check the link i posted. It is for a driver as of 1 year ago and it understands the code. (Not the newest driver). If another graphics card is what you have, check the maker of the card and look for a version that is listed about a year ago.

how to check your card? open your start menu, in the "files and programs" box type dxdiag. Check the display tab it will tell you your current graphics card.
Stonewall@LordHarconan

Lifetime Member
Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet
(228 members and growing)
Ensign
# 22
12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
You sir are awesome. I should have read you first post more closely. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.
Ensign
# 23
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for this info. I'm installing this old driver now and crossing my fingers. I got no support on two tickets I filed and have since not even been able to get more than a few seconds past loading an instance without getting the error and eventual BSOD.
Its a bad sign when you've got to reinstall outdated technology to run a new update to a game. This is like turning my computer into an emulator box for an old gaming system. How sad. I'm hoping this doesn't reduce the performance of my other games that use the Intel HD Graphics so much better than STO.
Ensign
# 24
12-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Hey, I was using this fix for Windows 7 and it was working perfectly (Thank you very, very much!). However, I've upgraded to Windows 8, do you know if there is an equivalent fix? The driver you posted isn't compatible with Windows 8.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I found this while looking around the other night. It seems to have helped somewhat. Not sure why since I have the win 7 32bit. But it installed and I can now run the game with my Graphic card set to a higher 3d detail setting. I still have to have the game settings a low. But the game looks better then it did when both were on low. I still got crashes while doing Starbase 234 but I can now go to ESD and not crash and burn. I hope it works for other people.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 26
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi All,

For those of you still seeing the Display driver has stopped responding error (or anyone who can answer this question), what does the Star Trek client do after this message? Does it turn black and stop responding? Does any Cryptic error message appear?

Dave
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Windows does popup that error message. However if you are in full screen you don't see that. You first get a black screen and then it comes up. The screen also freezes and stops responding a few second before and after this. Makes it hard to get out of a area where it is happening. If it the driver crashes repeatedly then ether it freezes the entire system or your system is about to freeze. Windows 7 reports this as a Error 4101..which is not all that helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Otherwise no error messages from cryptic. I have to manually start the error reporting program to get those. Some people have posted that they do get error messages and huge data dumps after STO crashes and exits. But not me.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 29
01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi All,

Here's an update.

We've tried internally reproducing the problem on two different pieces of Intel hardware (HD3000 & 4000, IIRC), on two drivers, with no luck. I've made some speculative changes to disable new GPU profiling code that might be causing problems with the new drivers. We've asked Intel for help, but until we can repro the problem we're kind of stuck, especially since it's resetting the display driver, instead of giving us a crash report. Reading through the threads, I noticed some posters discussing an October driver, and when I checked Intel's download driver site, it looked like a different version than what I tested. We're going to give that a shot, but all of our programmers are fully booked. We've been giving CS updates to communicate to the customers, but when there's pages and pages of posts in multiple threads, it can be hard to get the message out. I'll be posting in the thread I've linked above.

Until we can get an idea of what is wrong, and work with Intel to get a fix, rolling back the driver might help, as indicated in this thread. I noticed there is also a December driver update, and you could try that, but I haven't tested it.

Dave
Career Officer
# 30
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithereyou View Post
Hi All,

Here's an update.

We've tried internally reproducing the problem on two different pieces of Intel hardware (HD3000 & 4000, IIRC), on two drivers, with no luck. I've made some speculative changes to disable new GPU profiling code that might be causing problems with the new drivers. We've asked Intel for help, but until we can repro the problem we're kind of stuck, especially since it's resetting the display driver, instead of giving us a crash report. Reading through the threads, I noticed some posters discussing an October driver, and when I checked Intel's download driver site, it looked like a different version than what I tested. We're going to give that a shot, but all of our programmers are fully booked. We've been giving CS updates to communicate to the customers, but when there's pages and pages of posts in multiple threads, it can be hard to get the message out. I'll be posting in the thread I've linked above.

Until we can get an idea of what is wrong, and work with Intel to get a fix, rolling back the driver might help, as indicated in this thread. I noticed there is also a December driver update, and you could try that, but I haven't tested it.

Dave
Hi Dave - You may want to get Brandon (or whomever the BBS account Admin for Cryptic is) to make your name Cryptic yellow (indicating a Cryptic Employee/Team Member) as rigjht now, you just appear as a regular 'Joe User'.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."