Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 113
# 121
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
People just stopped playing and/or caring.

After taking a three weeks hiatus from "Star Trek: Online", I decided to sign back into the system. Within a few moments of reentering the game, I discovered that the passion that drove me to "STO" is over.

No more feedback.

No more complaints.

No longer care.
Bingo!!!

Having a LTS means i can come back when and if they ever release something that is not another grind feast....but i'm not holding my breath.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35
# 122
01-06-2013, 09:44 AM
To answer the OP (haven' got time to read the rest!) I would agree that unlocking T5 has made the game better than the pre s7, it just sucked getting there while I could not add anything of note to improve my arsenal (I bought the two consoles, a set of Omega force armor, unlocked a couple of romulan store ground weapons to burn and a hyper plasma torpedo, none of which I've used other than the armor.)

However its the fixing of some of the new content which has made the game vastly better, the radiation scans andthe embassy officer of the watch that were just too bugged to bother trying and just felt like a slap in the face. Lets hope they sort out the space red alert, I've got the feeling its going to become another crystalline entity however.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,658
# 123
01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
That's no way to make money. Don't need to be a Vulcan, just a mature adult. Customers are not boyfriends/girlfriends, and something is VERY wrong if that level of emotion is being ascribed to what is merely a small-instance professional relationship.

If "I'm leaving" threads are banned by the forum TOS, then that's a(nother) sign that they don't really WANT to improve.

Again: leavers are what actually damages the game's/company's the bottom line, not complainers who stay. If they are so fragile that they can't even accept the very existence of leavers' complaints, then they (and the game) are doomed.
Exactly! Customers are Customers. By leaving, you are no longer a customer, and Cryptic no longer has any loyalties to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,157
# 124
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
STO is the second game i play with longevity (years)

why i'Ve left WOW? cause i realized there is no interesting story, and to re-do the 25 man raids for the 40th time, waiting for another 24 people to get it right, hoping for a drop, and then not getting it, or even getting it is not really satisfying, and what is worse, there is no other way to play the game.
- ok, i then lvled myself a few PVP toons and got into it, then they nerfed subtlety behind recognition and that was it for me.

why i left the PVP game Bloodline Champions? a HUGE FUNNY game, but it is not funny to wait 25 minutes for a match which goes for 2 minutes..

why i still come back to STO? (i've had my breaks, lasting to 8 months)
- cause i LOVE Trek
- i love the PVP
- the devs are talking to us and if they are not telling the truth all the time, they aren't lying either
- i still hope for Romulan faction
- i like the system, and overall, it is a good, funny game with nice people and lovely zone chat

the i quit threads are
- unhealthy for community
- the persons which "quit" tend to come back anyway, cause the ones who wanna quit just quit and don't do this forum thing

Cryptic needs to do money and it is fine. i still try to give them some once in a while and i hope they will do their best. and the Romulan faction _

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 361
# 125
01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
This ^ - I'll take a page from Poster curs0r

It is almost if you are enticing every Troller to hop on your train and ride the gravy train, instant Troll bait.

But I'll give you my reply:

Am I content with all the Season 7 Changes?

I still have issues with S7 in general, however; the Devs have made some effort to better the situation.

In regards to the Rep system:

Do I like it? No

What can I say, I am old school & despite the newly Rep system making it easier for 100% of the playerbase, the system still requires a cost & cheapens the status of endgame gear.

Typically in most MMO's endgame gear should be very difficult to come by - Take for example TERA; only one or two people out of the entire gaming community on the server has the complete endgame set of armor.

It should be a testament of your mettle, an accomplishment that you have endured, outwitted your foe, and that you have overcome impossible odds.

The Rep system just gives it away like a gift certificate with Dilithium cost to it.

To everyone's defense though, the nature of STO endgame was sadly implemented - it was suppose to be an endgame dungeon - but they made it into a slugfest where the Borg can instant kill you with invisible torps doing 9999999999999999999999 damage.

My hope is that Cryptic truly make another endgame dungeon that only a few can obtain the endgame gear - It should be a true and challenging dungeon, where one must outwit, gear up properly, and support one another with only one drop to be voted on.

make us a true Endgame dungeon for both space and Ground.

A New Mk XIII Set.
As much as I appreciate your great opinoins, I am gonnaa say NO Thank you to this. I have yet to truly even start this new system past Tier 1 and you want a level 13. Sorry this may be 2013, but lets keep all things to level 12.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 75
# 126
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Of course I'm still unhappy with the new system, but what point is there in beating a dead horse? Cryptic dose not care what I think about the new system. If they did then they would have made more drastic changes to it months ago.

It's pretty, and that's about the only good thing I can say about the new system.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 544
# 127
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm only recently coming back (started back up in Novemner after a year hiatus). Prior to the hiatus, I experimented with playing the STF. Between the internet connection (I was in Iraq at the time) and the fact that the ground STF's seemed to require a level of coordination that you couldn't get with a PUG typing over chat, I gave up trying to get good loot. Space was far easier to play, yet I never got lucky.

I played SWTOR, which originally had a universally disliked RNG system for endgame loot on Ilum. Between that and the overdone RNG on World of Tanks, I have a fond hatred of RNG.

To paraphrase a poster on the SWTOR forums (again, his words not mine) "What if the dev's paycheck was setup on an RNG? Have them role once a month. If your number comes up you get paid, if not, oh well. That's how we feel."

I'm sure I butured that, but you get the gist. The reputation system seems to be an attempt to get off the RNG, and I applaude that. However, I will acknowledge the grind involved. Infact, IMHO that is its major failing; the system as it stands now rewards patience more than anything else.

Truth be told, it does nothing but continue to perpetuate the (very true, at this point) notion of Asian/Asian-run MMORPGs being nothing but a long grindfest for no reason other than having a long grindfest for the hell of it. I figure either up the rewards or lower the prices.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 203
# 128
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
I'm only recently coming back (started back up in Novemner after a year hiatus). Prior to the hiatus, I experimented with playing the STF. Between the internet connection (I was in Iraq at the time) and the fact that the ground STF's seemed to require a level of coordination that you couldn't get with a PUG typing over chat, I gave up trying to get good loot. Space was far easier to play, yet I never got lucky.

I played SWTOR, which originally had a universally disliked RNG system for endgame loot on Ilum. Between that and the overdone RNG on World of Tanks, I have a fond hatred of RNG.

To paraphrase a poster on the SWTOR forums (again, his words not mine) "What if the dev's paycheck was setup on an RNG? Have them role once a month. If your number comes up you get paid, if not, oh well. That's how we feel."

I'm sure I butured that, but you get the gist. The reputation system seems to be an attempt to get off the RNG, and I applaude that. However, I will acknowledge the grind involved. Infact, IMHO that is its major failing; the system as it stands now rewards patience more than anything else.

Truth be told, it does nothing but continue to perpetuate the (very true, at this point) notion of Asian/Asian-run MMORPGs being nothing but a long grindfest for no reason other than having a long grindfest for the hell of it. I figure either up the rewards or lower the prices.
I'm sorry in your opinion the RNG system was 'bad' because you didn't get what you wanted. However if you HAD completed your sets, your opinion could easily be swayed the other direction. Comparing getting a paycheck which you are guaranteed as long as you work the allotted number of hours to a GAME for which there is NO guarantee that you will receive ANYTHING within ANY period of time within the realm of RNG is moot and does not apply.

You are still grinding, it's just right in front of you now and you have a timer telling you how long your grind is going to be. If you prefer to have everything predictable, then more power to you. There is NO motivation behind what Cryptic did to the Rep system and nerfing STF drops for Omega gear other than the potential of getting longevity out of the content, and more revenue out of you since now you have to PAY for what used to be achieved for FREE with only a time investment. That **** costs DIL now, EC, boring grindy content to get tons of 'marks' and thats just to 'unlock' the ABILITY to buy these things with MORE DIL. Again, if you prefer the easy way of just paying and watching the clock to be rewarded with another timer to collect the reward(confused yet?) and that gives you a sense of accomplishment, then I feel sorry for you. RNG isn't 'great' but it provides a level of achievement, excitement, and dedication that is impossible to feel using the Rep system in my opinion.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,604
# 129
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
I'm sorry in your opinion the RNG system was 'bad' because you didn't get what you wanted. However if you HAD completed your sets, your opinion could easily be swayed the other direction. Comparing getting a paycheck which you are guaranteed as long as you work the allotted number of hours to a GAME for which there is NO guarantee that you will receive ANYTHING within ANY period of time within the realm of RNG is moot and does not apply.

You are still grinding, it's just right in front of you now and you have a timer telling you how long your grind is going to be. If you prefer to have everything predictable, then more power to you. There is NO motivation behind what Cryptic did to the Rep system and nerfing STF drops for Omega gear other than the potential of getting longevity out of the content, and more revenue out of you since now you have to PAY for what used to be achieved for FREE with only a time investment. That **** costs DIL now, EC, boring grindy content to get tons of 'marks' and thats just to 'unlock' the ABILITY to buy these things with MORE DIL. Again, if you prefer the easy way of just paying and watching the clock to be rewarded with another timer to collect the reward(confused yet?) and that gives you a sense of accomplishment, then I feel sorry for you. RNG isn't 'great' but it provides a level of achievement, excitement, and dedication that is impossible to feel using the Rep system in my opinion.
The old system was crappy even when I got my set I did not feel joy, just never did STFs ever again and would never wish to go back, and with the new system I have not yet to spend real money unlocking anything, and feel joy that I know when I will get my stuff.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 544
# 130
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
I'm sorry in your opinion the RNG system was 'bad' because you didn't get what you wanted. However if you HAD completed your sets, your opinion could easily be swayed the other direction.
Actually, no it wouldn't. I can say that since my feelings are the same, having been lucky enough to get a full set of gear while playing SWTOR. All it did was serve to agrivate, since nothing skill wise matter, all I had to do was get lucky (hell, in this game pre-S7 you could sit back, do nothing, and just hope you get something). At least with the Rep system I have to put in some actual work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
Comparing getting a paycheck which you are guaranteed as long as you work the allotted number of hours to a GAME for which there is NO guarantee that you will receive ANYTHING within ANY period of time within the realm of RNG is moot and does not apply.
You missed the point. The quote doesn't make a comparison, it is a what-if; what-if the dev's paycheck depended on RNG, how would they feel? Same principle. You work at something only to have some arbitrary RNG say "not your turn" while someone who did didly gets a good roll.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
You are still grinding, it's just right in front of you now and you have a timer telling you how long your grind is going to be.
I already acknowledged that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
If you prefer to have everything predictable, then more power to you. There is NO motivation behind what Cryptic did to the Rep system and nerfing STF drops for Omega gear other than the potential of getting longevity out of the content, and more revenue out of you since now you have to PAY for what used to be achieved for FREE with only a time investment. That **** costs DIL now, EC, boring grindy content to get tons of 'marks' and thats just to 'unlock' the ABILITY to buy these things with MORE DIL..
Well, the previous system was also a time investment so you have no point there. And, I also acknowledged the rather exorbatant costs involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
Again, if you prefer the easy way of just paying and watching the clock to be rewarded with another timer to collect the reward(confused yet?) and that gives you a sense of accomplishment, then I feel sorry for you.
Well, for those of us with lives, I think being able to put a little something in when I can is a good system, rather than continue to do something in the hopes that I might get a chance at getting. At least now, I can see what I am working for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
RNG isn't 'great' but it provides a level of achievement, excitement, and dedication that is impossible to feel using the Rep system in my opinion.
Getting lucky is no achievement.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 01-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 PM.