Lieutenant
# 1 Need, Greed, Pass ??
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Been doing multiple PvE missions such as starbase 24 etc. At times when we blow up a klingon ship a reward is offered .. weapons, shields, console etc.

I have tried a few times just picking greed and usually end up with one item or none. Doing the need option I have had a bit better success as I believe other players are passing on the item. I have passed a few times so as to not look too greedy. My question is what is the mechanic used to determine who gets what? ie. three players pick greed on shield system and later same three players pick need on console.

I am still building up a bank of EC and either sell or post the nice stuff in the exchange, knowing a little about how the mechanic works I think will help me have chance at the nice piece of equipment while not being greedy.

Celtic Fist
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
The best thing to do is need everything because everyone else will.
Captain
# 3
01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Need trumps Greed. If 4 people pick greed/pass but one person picks need, then that person gets it. If you select pass, you won't get the item at all. If say two or more people pick need, then it is randomly given out to one of those people that pick need. If no one picks need, then it is given randomly to someone who picked greed. If everyone passes, no one gets the item. People also use need instead of greed, when in fact they're just greedy. I can go run through a random STF and see everyone but me pick need on all the most worthless trash. So if there's an item you actually want or really need, picking greed probably won't get you it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Career Officer
# 4
01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Its based on some sort of skill/score based system. Hence why you see the names of each player with a number beside it. I think it could very well be based on how much damage each player has caused and is awarded on this basis. Otherwise, somebody could just go AFK and press need and possibly luck out and get it.

I could be wrong but that is my take on it anyways.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I've tried ONLY greed for 2 months, guess that i got....... playing +10h a day i got maybe 20 items or something like that for 2 months work. That told me that there is almost no one who choose greed or pass.

Since then I do almost choose need. And I suggest you do the same.
Career Officer
# 6
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Nowadays I just do 'Need' in PUGs and let the random number generator sort it out.

As has been stated above if you do 'Greed' and anyone else does 'Need'; those that chose 'Greed' will NEVER have a chance at getting a drop -- so just better to 'Need' everything; that way everyone gets a roll chance, and the highest roll wins.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Lieutenant
# 7
01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Yup just need in pugs, you can sort out how you do things in fleet gatherings but anytime you have random people in your group just need everything.
Lieutenant
# 8
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks .. clears up the general mechanics .. and for a linte while I will just be needing.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
Its based on some sort of skill/score based system. Hence why you see the names of each player with a number beside it. I think it could very well be based on how much damage each player has caused and is awarded on this basis. Otherwise, somebody could just go AFK and press need and possibly luck out and get it.

I could be wrong but that is my take on it anyways.
It's a dice roll, random integer from 1 to 100. And, yes, people can just sit at the warp in and hit need and collect loot. It's occasionally a problem, but often enough groups don't finish or do very poorly with somebody doing this and many people will abandon the group when they see it, so it's not really in their best interest.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvaio View Post
The best thing to do is need everything because everyone else will.
This seems to be pretty true for STO.

I try remember to need everything when teaming now.
Closed Thread