Career Officer
# 11
12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Check this out: http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skil...%20Effects.htm

Tells you what each point in a skill does.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Lieutenant
# 12
12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the spread sheet information. Will help when I finally run a respect.

Another question - datachips? I have been running the midterm quizzes at star fleet academy and one of the rewards is a datachip with a stardate assigned to it. Are these data chips worth anything? Can I just remove those I collect in my bank?

Celtic Fist
Commander
# 13
12-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Each one gives you an accolade, and provides an answer for one of the midterm questions. If you can't use them, then you may as well delete them, or see what they go for on the exchange.
Career Officer
# 14
12-19-2012, 06:58 AM
They do sell for a handful of credits on the Exchange. I list them for 40 and they sell in one or two days. You could buy two drinks with that!

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Ensign
# 15 Assigning Duty Officers
12-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I just purchased a duty officer pack and was trying to assign them and saw that I only had a certain number of slots, and noticed I have to left in the roster on reserve. I also have no officers in Sickbay or the Brig. I'm sure this is covered in some other forum, I just didn't have the time to look. So my question is, do I need a specific Medical officer to fill sickbay, and a specific Security Officer for the brig? And can I use the ones I have in reserve at lvl 10 (I just reached it)? Also, my department heads are the original duty officers I picked up from lvl 1-10. Can I change that? I looked in the department head tab and it didn't look like I could. And as I was in my ready room I noticed certain diplomatic and other assignments, none of which I could do for either the reason of not having the right officer or some other reason. Anyone able to help me? It would be appreciated.
Captain
# 16
12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
About the free ship token.

I haven't decided if its part of the lag problems of recent months or a bug, but if you click on a different ship of a different rank and click back you should be able to choose your new ship.

And sickbay missions take care of themselves.
# 17
12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
More:

Brig takes care of itself as well. Changing doffs only matters for the five space and five ground stations that improve your abilities. They just sit in the closet waiting to be used the rest of the time.

The department heads are your bridge officers. If you have enough of them you can put whoever you want into the position via the drop down window with their names on it.

There are a number of reasons you can't do a doff mission. The main one is that you lack a doff with the needed skills. You also may not have the commodities or EC to do it. You may also have all twenty of your mission slots full and you'll need to wait for one to finish.

Duty officers don't rank up. If you want better ones you have to spend a lot of dilithium exchanging five for a single random replacement of a higher level.
# 18
12-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakos View Post
do I need a specific Medical officer to fill sickbay,
Sickbay only gets used if one of your duty officers is injured while working on a mission. No doctor is needed for this. But yu can run medical missions with your doctors in addition. While an injured officer is in the sickbay you cannot use them for real missions. So an empty sickbay is what you want.

Quote:
and a specific Security Officer for the brig?
Your brig holds prisoners. You get them as a reward for various duty officer missions. Klingons get many more than federation.

You didn't ask but you also will see "passengers". These are colonists and refugees. Colonists youget as a reward for the "resettle colonists" mission, and refugees you get from running missions in the explore zones.

Quote:
Also, my department heads are the original duty officers I picked up from lvl 1-10. Can I change that? I looked in the department head tab and it didn't look like I could.
You are confusing Bridge Officers with Duty Officers. Your department heads are your bridge officers. You can swap them using a pull-down menu but only if you have extras. So if you had three science bridge officers you could have one as your science department head, one as your medical department head, and the third being a lazy bum doing nothing. Technically speaking the department head has no game impact except their face shows up when you are looking at missions in that department.

Quote:
And as I was in my ready room I noticed certain diplomatic and other assignments, none of which I could do for either the reason of not having the right officer or some other reason. Anyone able to help me? It would be appreciated.
On each mission you cannot start there are one or more red icons in the bottom right. These tel you why you cannot start it. Let's say you want to do a "audit credentials of a biologist" but it says you don't have a required duty officer. Then you can go to starfleet academy and talk to the personnel officer. She gives you a mission to get 2 random science officers. One might work. Or you can go to the auctionhouse and buy a biologist, they tend to cost about 5,000 EC which is a very low price (expensive white-quality duty officers can run over 50,000 Energy Credits).

Other missions might require money, or commodities like medical supplies or an astrometric probe. And there are a few that need rare commodities like Ferasan Nepeta leaves that you can only get via very rare duty officer missions (or buy from people on the auctionhouse).

When you are first starting out the biggest problem is that you don't have enough duty officers. Try to visit starfleet academy every two days and talk to the vulcan, tellarite and andorian ambassadors for one free duty officer from each. Then talk to the personnel officer and she has 5 missions for you that each give multiple duty officers. After two weeks you'll have quite a nice collection and be doing much better in terms of having a selection of missions you can do.
Career Officer
# 19
01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Minor correction:
Refugees aren't Passengers, but are in the Civilian department (alongside Traders, Chefs, Bartenders, etc.)
Colonists are Passengers, though.

The difference is that you can have (without upgrades) a total of 100 total officers, 20 passengers, and 20 prisoners at any one time. So if you have refugees, try to grab the Asylum assignments to convert them into more useful DOffs to keep them from taking up room.

Captain
# 20
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post

Duty officers don't rank up. If you want better ones you have to spend a lot of dilithium exchanging five for a single random replacement of a higher level.
Actually there are several options:

Using duty officer missions to get more duty officers:
  1. Refugees can be used for Asylum missions with a chance to become higher quality.
  2. Prisoners can be used for prisoner exchange missions with a change to become higher quality
  3. You can occasionally get a mission called "investigate defection" where you can get high quality officers of different enemy races for free
  4. The colony chains give you a blue duty officer automatically when you finish the 7th mission
  5. The colony chains unlock the ability to get refugees and prisoners by a repeatable mission and if you crit you get a purple officer, you can crit many times and get lots of copies.
  6. The caitian diaspora chain gives a purple officer if you crit the repeatable mission it unlocks, again you can do this multiple times
  7. The holodeck play mission can unlock hologram officers of green blue and purple quality and can be repeated to get many officers

Free Duty Officers
  1. As you rank up a specific duty officer skill category (diplomacy, trade, etc) you get free higher quality officers from the academy. Some of these give you double (for example engineering, medical and military) because you get the one free one and you get the ability to activate a hologram. With 11 categories you eventually get 3 white, 25 green, 14 blue and 14 purple quality duty officers all but the holograms are free and the holograms only cost a small amount of energy credits.
  2. The recruiting missions at the academy have a small chance to crit, when they do you get a higher quality candidate, I have gotten both green and blue I do not know if you can get purple or not. These mostly give you only white officers though.

Buying Duty Officers with Energy Credits
  1. You can buy and sell officers on the auction house. Prices range from 1,500 credits to many milllions depending on quality and abilities. Personally I buy a lot of refugees, they only cost 50k to 90k and I can easily and quickly turn them into greens and blues that I can resell (often for over 100k) or use for myself.
  2. Additionally many duty officer packs that originally were bought with dilithium or zen are not bound and can be resold on the auctionhouse. these give between 4 and 7 officers with a chance for 1 or more to be higher quality (green, blue or purple). Price seems to range from 100k to over a milion credits depending on faction (fed vs klingon) and the specific pack.

Buying Duty Officers with Fleet Credits
  1. If you are in a fleet that has ranked up its starbase you can buy duty officers using fleet credits. You can get totally random officers of a specific quality (white, green, blue, purple) or officers within a specific specialty (tactical, engineering, science) for a bit higher price.

So there's at least a dozen ways to get higher quality duty officers without spending dilithium.

Also the white to green conversion is only 500 dil, which is not a lot. In fact you get 480dil from doing the daily lore mission right in the same room.