Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Career Officer
# 11
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
no hes asking for a ship equal to the feds
What do you mean by equal? Don't you mean "identical in every way"?
The Varanus has a BO layout equal to that of the FDSSV and a console layout equal to the FSV.
It's just not a carbon-copy any more.
Commander
# 12
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
no hes asking for a ship equal to the feds
This. I'd be fine with it if there was another version of the Varanus that was designed as a counter to the nice stuff the Feds get...but there isn't. Damage output is the most valuable thing in PVE, so I think it's natural to judge two similar ships by their differences in that field.
Commander
# 13
01-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
What do you mean by equal? Don't you mean "identical in every way"?
The Varanus has a BO layout equal to that of the FDSSV and a console layout equal to the FSV.
It's just not a carbon-copy any more.
I'd like to see the KDF get something like the Fleet Nova, or the Fleet Luna. Those both have 3 or more tac consoles AND 3 or more tac powers...yet they're still science ships, not tactical ships.

I guess the way to sum it up is 'science ship with teeth'.
Career Officer
# 14
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
I'd like to see the KDF get something like the Fleet Nova, or the Fleet Luna. Those both have 3 or more tac consoles AND 3 or more tac powers...yet they're still science ships, not tactical ships.

I guess the way to sum it up is 'science ship with teeth'.
I'm with you on this, it's just that...you know...the Varanus is called a "Support ship" because that's its actual function and this is refelcted in its BO layout.

Out of universe, why they gave it the 3rd Tac console instead of another Science or Engineering console is a bit of a mystery to me, but it might be because they didn't want to overspecialize it like the DSSV or make it too tanky given the repair drones.
In-universe...well it's possible the Varanus is expected to support its fleet/squad with some more firepower.

Given their level and BO layout, I'd probably make the smaller Phalanx a rough counterpart to the Fleet Nova and the Fleet Draguas some kind of Fleet Nebby.
Captain
# 15
01-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, let me clarify: if they were going to make the Fleet Varanus a more toothy version of the regular Varanus, they should have gone with better tac bo, not tac console. I mean, wooo, my few weapons do a little more damage? Meh.

As for copies, Varanus is a near-perfect replica of the DSSV. Just with worse shields. (which cheeses me off, big time)

Fleet DSSV comes with 5 science consoles. Which makes way more sense.

Again, if they were going to say 'well, the Fleet Varanus is going to follow the general KDF impulse toward warmaking,' fine, but an extra tac console is really silly.
Commander
# 16
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
Well, let me clarify: if they were going to make the Fleet Varanus a more toothy version of the regular Varanus, they should have gone with better tac bo, not tac console. I mean, wooo, my few weapons do a little more damage? Meh.

As for copies, Varanus is a near-perfect replica of the DSSV. Just with worse shields. (which cheeses me off, big time)

Fleet DSSV comes with 5 science consoles. Which makes way more sense.

Again, if they were going to say 'well, the Fleet Varanus is going to follow the general KDF impulse toward warmaking,' fine, but an extra tac console is really silly.
I couldn't agree more; it just feels like the whole thing was an afterthought, and they obviously didn't read the forums, since several of us made threads/replied to threads asking for a Varanus with an extra tac power (be it conversion of the ensign eng to ensign tac, or adding that power to the lt. tac to make it a lt. com).

I appreciate that Cryptic finally gave us a fleet version, of course; unfortunately, it doesn't do anything the original can't do, which means I'm not going to spend money to get one. If anything, it's actually the same as the standard, from my perspective; my Varanus doesn't need to use a console slot for its repair drone ability...it's just an innate power. If I buy the fleet one, I'll have to use a console for that ability...which negates the extra console on the fleet version, lol.
Career Officer
# 17
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
What console?
The Fleet Varanus is supposed to have its special ability built-in just like the Fleet B'rel.
What are you talking about?
Commander
# 18
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
The console for buying the C-store Varanus. Ship is awesome looking. A real jewel among the Klingon fleet. Should I get the Zen for it, i'd play my gorn dood more just because of that ship.
Career Officer
# 19
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
The console for buying the C-store Varanus. Ship is awesome looking. A real jewel among the Klingon fleet. Should I get the Zen for it, i'd play my gorn dood more just because of that ship.
Once again: the Varanus has.no.special.console.
Its repair platform ability is entirely built-in.
There is no console.
Commander
# 20
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
My mistake then. I just based everything on the wiki and the two bolded [Console - Universal - Repair Platform] that are on the page. Sounds like it needs some editing, Heh.