Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 1411
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Not my worst experience of course, that goes to the 1 hour KASE, but pretty remarkable how a team of 3 very solid players can get screwed by one or two morons. That said, kudos to the two who ran the first part with me, it was really beautifully done.
Welcome to pugs.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 1412
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake81499 View Post
This is a common thing in CSN. For whatever reason 4 of the team ships will think they need to protect the Kang. IF all 4 had any DPS at all they would be able to protect the Kang. But all to often they all have Rainbow/Technicolor beams and/or have their weapons set on stun and lose the optional.

In reality, it only takes ONE properly set up ship to protect the Kang. That ship should be able to keep anything from ever firing a shot at the Kang.

I stopped protecting the Kang long ago. In fact I don't even worry about going after any ships being spawned. I just kill nodes and cubes and fly on over to the next. Using this tactic I can usually clear out all the cubes in 9 minutes or less by myself.

If the others are helping out at the cubes like they should be, then I'll help kill the spawns, otherwise NO WAY. If we lose because 4 ships setting at the Kang can't protect it then so be it.
well imo the base ship for any stf should be one, that is able to defend the kang against raptors. and I can even lower my expectations, to CSN raptors (which are basically CSE BoPs). the problem is, most people cant even kill CSN BoPs, and they bring those ships to elite, and create stupid scenarios

and yeah, I am with you on just attacking, and ignoring the bops, it is just a waste for me to turn (in an escort I might not lose that much DPS, but even then it would be a loss)
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 441
# 1413
01-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Not really my worst, but definitely one of those ".....really?" moments.

Did ISN earlier, can't remember the exact setup we had and thankfully I haven't seen a skittle escort/carebear cruiser (so named for their firing rainbows) yet.

Anyway, we take out the first transformer...or at least try to. Soon as we drop the generators I start taking on the transformer (me in my Prometheus escort, non-MVAM sadly) and I drop its health....only to see it rise instantly. Okay, blown optional, but hey, I'm accustomed to that. No big loss.

Except that no one learned from that and continued to attack the transformer, completely ignoring the nanite ships. So we have to repeat this three more times--including a grand lapse of memory resulting in a full heal from 14% .

Finally we take out the first transformer. Luckily there was no repeat of such on the second transformer.

It could have been worse, true, but it was just one of those head-scratchers.
****
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,294
# 1414
01-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Had a classic fail earlier.

ISE - entered with my all-time favorite ship, my Fleet Rhode Island. I won't go off on one of my long rants, but the transformers were popped early, and we had a fool, flying a Sovereign class with all the Borg-visual nonsense enabled who obviously had a sci BOFF in the uni slot, and seemed to love popping GW at every oportunity.

So when the time came to pop the generator, genius fires off his GW again - right at the generator. Suffice to say, the normal spheres that were hovering above the genny get pulled into the generator - needless to say, this caused targeting issues for some, and resulted in plasma spam for all.

I advise said fool to use GW for crowd control, and explain that it's usually better to fire it off at the approaching nanite spheres if you're going to use it at all.

Reply forthcoming? "GW causes kinetic damage and hurts the generator". I TRIED to explain that the kinetic damage it causes is not really significant in said context, and GW is far better utilised as a crowd-control measure. I proceeded to demonstrate by popping GWIII at the remaining nanite spheres, which bunched them together nicely - one blew and the resulting explosion severely damaged the others.

This was not, of course, sufficent to convince genuis who proceeded to do the exact same thing with the second generator. One of the other players present chastised him for it this time and I, again, tried to point out that his use of GW was far from useful.

"You don't know how to use GW" came the reply, despite my PROVING (earlier) that I was far more proficent with it than him. I actually pointed out that I was playing a Sci officer flying a pure sci ship, am very aware of Sci powers and their uses, and recommended that he either visit the forums or read up on them on the STO wiki. The reply? "The forum is for whiners and they don't know anything". I ignored the fool at this point - he clearly couldn't be taught and was either a troll, and idiot, or (probably) both.

So there you go - half the reason so many instances of ISE etc fail is because so many players fly in, thinking that they know SO much better than anyone else, and proceed to prove that they're actually WORSE than useless.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY

Last edited by reyan01; 01-08-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 1415
01-08-2013, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Had a classic fail earlier.

ISE - entered with my all-time favorite ship, my Fleet Rhode Island. I won't go off on one of my long rants, but the transformers were popped early, and we had a fool, flying a Sovereign class with all the Borg-visual nonsense enabled who obviously had a sci BOFF in the uni slot, and seemed to love popping GW at every oportunity.

So when the time came to pop the generator, genius fires off his GW again - right at the generator. Suffice to say, the normal spheres that were hovering above the genny get pulled into the generator - needless to say, this caused targeting issues for some, and resulted in plasma spam for all.

I advise said fool to use GW for crowd control, and explain that it's usually better to fire it off at the approaching nanite spheres if you're going to use it at all.

Reply forthcoming? "GW causes kinetic damage and hurts the generator". I TRIED to explain that the kinetic damage it causes is not really significant in said context, and GW is far better utilised as a crowd-control measure. I proceeded to demonstrate by popping GWIII at the remaining nanite spheres, which bunched them together nicely - one blew and the resulting explosion severely damaged the others.

This was not, of course, sufficent to convince genuis who proceeded to do the exact same thing with the second generator. One of the other players present chastised him for it this time and I, again, tried to point out that his use of GW was far from useful.

"You don't know how to use GW" came the reply, despite my PROVING (earlier) that I was far more proficent with it than him. I actually pointed out that I was playing a Sci officer flying a pure sci ship, am very aware of Sci powers and their uses, and recommended that he either visit the forums or read up on them on the STO wiki. The reply? "The forum is for whiners and they don't know anything". I ignored the fool at this point - he clearly couldn't be taught and was either a troll, and idiot, or (probably) both.

So there you go - half the reason so many instances of ISE etc fail is because so many players fly in, thinking that they know SO much better than anyone else, and proceed to prove that they're actually WORSE than useless.
if your team had others with grav well, then he was right to use his grav well on the generator. it pulls in the spheres from above, which makes it easier to target them without moving, hence increasing group DPS. he was just far too good a player for you to notice
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,294
# 1416
01-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
if your team had others with grav well, then he was right to use his grav well on the generator. it pulls in the spheres from above, which makes it easier to target them without moving, hence increasing group DPS. he was just far too good a player for you to notice
Yeah - the player in question proved how good a player he was numerous times. He was kind enough to explode frequently and spent healthy periods of time in respawn oblivion, where he was infinitely more useful to the mission.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 1417
01-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Yeah - the player in question proved how good a player he was numerous times. He was kind enough to explode frequently and spent healthy periods of time in respawn oblivion, where he was infinitely more useful to the mission.
nah. those were just a tactical uses of ramming speed
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,294
# 1418
01-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
nah. those were just a tactical uses of ramming speed
Nope - sorry - it was a combo of the lack of use of Hazard Emitters and weaksauce shields apparently.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 168
# 1419
01-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Have had folks GW spheres into the generators before. I just kill the spheres and AoE the whole clump when possible. Exploding spheres to a lot more damage to the generator than GW ever will.
I was someone else here til the forum/account transition lied
and told me that my original name was taken.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,294
# 1420
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqqqii View Post
Have had folks GW spheres into the generators before. I just kill the spheres and AoE the whole clump when possible. Exploding spheres to a lot more damage to the generator than GW ever will.
Perhaps, but said spheres have a habit of shooting back which can slow the 'destroy the generator' process.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.