Survivor of Romulus
# 11
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
The Theme Song.
Everyone sing along: "It's been a long road..."

Yeah I always skip that song. What was the most mediocre of Rod Stewart-esque 90s light rock doing in Star Trek in 2003?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 12
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Everyone sing along: "It's been a long road..."

Yeah I always skip that song. What was the most mediocre of Rod Stewart-esque 90s light rock doing in Star Trek in 2003?
Too true. I almost always muted the opening credits.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
The mirror titles were a LOT better
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Enterprise recap by seasons: (To save you the pain of actually watching them)

Season One and Two:
Archer and Crew: Ohhh! New planet! With people!! Should we go look?

T'pol: No. Bad idea.

Archer and Crew: Screw you, pointie ears! We're going!

Archer and Crew goes, wackiness ensues, everyone gets back to the ship.

Archer and Crew: Whew, we almost ruined that civilization. You'd think in the 100 years between first contact and now someone would have thought out a procedure for meeting all of these aliens that we sorta already knew were out here and all.

T'pol: Told you it was a bad idea.

Archer and Crew: Shut up pointie ears! And find us another planet with people already!

Season Three:

Xindi, Xindi, Xindi...Archer emotes badly...Xindi, Xindi, Xindi.

And as an added bonus - last episode of season three/first two episodes of season four introduced us to time-travelling space Nazis. Because after an entire season of secretly wishing the Xindi would finally put Archer (and us) out of our collective misery, we needed time travelling space Nazis to fully cleanse our suspension-of-disbelief palettes.

Season Four:

Ok, time travelling space Nazis not included, I kinda liked season four. They did mini-arches where a story would continue over two or three episodes, and a wicked mirror universe two-parter. So, in typical modern TV fashion, as soon as a show sort of finds it legs and I start to enjoy it, CANCELLED.

Oh, and yeah - the theme music sucked.

Last edited by boglejam73; 01-07-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
What is wrong with Enterprise ( ENT: ) . I have not watched it but it did get cancelled and I know many people on the forums dislike it... Why?
ENT did not get cancelled. The network running it got cancelled.

Quote:
The Theme Song.
That is so true for oh so many reasons. Are you still doing weekly episode rewatches in the office? Next time an ENT episode is scheduled gather some mates, sing along loudly through the full song and make sure to have someone tape it.

Office pranks aside, all hail Emperor Hoshi!
Career Officer
# 16
01-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Well I enjoyed it, all of it, the Xindi arc was my favourite, I loved the time travel concepts, the awkwardness of some of the plots matched the relatively new idea of exploring our small part of the galaxy, of the crew finding their feet so to speak. Sure like always there were some bad episodes but overall it was great and what's more it kept the dream alive.

Sometimes I think Trek fans are their own worst enemy.

Oh and I loved the theme song too, it was right at the time and perfectly matched the visuals in the opening titles. Maybe because I'm older than many of you at 48, I can remember the moon landings, it stirs up very strong emotions listening to those words faith of the heart.

Just my two pennies worth.
Captain
# 17
01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
What is wrong with Enterprise ( ENT: ) . I have not watched it but it did get cancelled and I know many people on the forums dislike it... Why?
The problem with going so far back is that... it's awkward in more ways than one.

They should have used the proposed NX-01 Refit with secondary hull in the first season, because that looked like a angular, primitive precursor to the Constitution class. Using an Akira-inspired design made the titular ship look very wierd IMO, because it's so highly detailed compared to the streamlined, smoothed out NCC-1701(A).

Secondly, the cast felt too plain, too "bound to Earthly reality" for some reason. None of the Picard-esque utopian logic, none of the "Wild Frontier" feel of DS9.

If you've already experienced transwarp speeds and wormholes, you don't want to feel like you're stuck below Warp 5 again.

JJTrek actually got the "retro" feeling correct, for some reason I can't identify. Yes, they were probably stuck at the same top warp speeds of the day, yes, their technology appears to be more primitive than later canon time periods, and yes, JJ didn't need to make it seem all slow and primitive, because everything was state of the art and epic in its time.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 01-08-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
The Theme Song.
Give the man a taco. This is the ONLY reason it bombed and got cancelled.

Give it a good orchestral theme song and I think it manages a full run of 7 series.
Captain
# 19
01-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Give the man a taco. This is the ONLY reason it bombed and got cancelled.

Give it a good orchestral theme song and I think it manages a full run of 7 series.
A good orchestral theme... like a heroic counterpart to the Mirror Universe two-parter.

I think that after we get a few more JJ-style films and/or another Trek series, we'll have Enterprise being looked back on as an under-appreciated series and that the new stuff should be more like it. Mostly because nostalgia-fueled nerd-rage works like that a lot of the time.
Captain
# 20
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
JJTrek actually got the "retro" feeling correct, for some reason I can't identify. Yes, they were probably stuck at the same top warp speeds of the day, yes, their technology appears to be more primitive than later canon time periods, and yes, JJ didn't need to make it seem all slow and primitive, because everything was state of the art and epic in its time.
This is a good point actually. I think that ENT played up the "Prequelness" of it a bit too much, rather than portraying it as something big and epic for it's time it was "Oh how cute, warp 5 is a big deal now".

They did that with a lot of things in ENT, and I think that goes a long way to explain why it failed as a series.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.