Captain
# 21
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Cryptic has repeatedly said that swimming tech is very hard for the game engine, but if they did it, we would never regret it.
Swimming, and a whole underwater zone has been part of CO from day 1. I'm not sure how exactly it can be hard to add swimming into STO since it's the same engine...
Super Moderator
# 22
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I assume most people have forgotten what Cryptic has said about "swimsuit" attire.

The basic problem is, based on what we were told and assuming that's still true, the costume models don't support it. Sure, the Orions show skin, but nobody else does. The models weren't designed in a way that the skin is a separate layer, so you can't just slap a bikini on top of it and hit the beach.

Could they fix that? Sure, maybe. But I doubt we'll see that anytime soon, and even if they do I imagine it would be limited to certain races at first.

All that said, I certainly support expanding all of the social areas, including Risa.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 23
01-08-2013, 01:19 PM
No more rep grinds of the current type! Cryptic needs to work on their rep system so it is more natural and a lot less artificial and less like outright bribery.
Captain
# 24
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage2 View Post
What about making a better Risa Map? The current one sucks.
Agreed. Both Risa and Andoria and well even Vulcan are disappointing. This concept would have been much better with actual resort buildings : http://robertdbrown.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3b8f1u. I could see having a bunch of Doffmissions added like archeological digs dance parties etc. I also wish there was more to do on the 3 maps I just mentioned
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 01-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Career Officer
# 25
01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I assume most people have forgotten what Cryptic has said about "swimsuit" attire.

The basic problem is, based on what we were told and assuming that's still true, the costume models don't support it. Sure, the Orions show skin, but nobody else does. The models weren't designed in a way that the skin is a separate layer, so you can't just slap a bikini on top of it and hit the beach.

Could they fix that? Sure, maybe. But I doubt we'll see that anytime soon, and even if they do I imagine it would be limited to certain races at first.

All that said, I certainly support expanding all of the social areas, including Risa.
IIRC the problem is not in skin - they can add skin to all avatars at any time as long as it is approved. This was a problem with the Female TOS and MU costumes at launch. They weren't available until the character artists added bare skin for all FED female avatars.

The real problem is with the ESRB Teen Rating. They allowed Orion Females to be half naked under that rating because they are "aliens". But Human females etc were not allowed. It makes no sense but that's how the ESRB rolls sometimes as I remember a dev stating.
Lieutenant
# 26
01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Give the Klingons a targ hunting preserve and they will be very happy indeed
I like this. Give it a combined Risa/Andoria purpose and use it for hunting dangerous animals, dualing other klingons in melee tournaments. Maybe a "hunt the prisoner" mission that requires players to speak to locals with varying degrees of honesty.
Captain
# 27
01-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Why not have scuba attire instead of "swimsuit" attire? You could get that onto any avatar, I'd assume. That would also open up the potential for serious underwater missions. You already have some of the mechanics worked out from "Boldly They Rode"...you'd just have to do some tweaking to get the movements involved in EV movement to turn into full-blown underwater maneuvering. (Illustrating my point that the two aren't THAT far off is the fact that astronauts sometimes train in a swimming pool to simulate microgravity.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 28
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
This seems very similar to my Risa Proposals:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=11
Quote:
Really be nice to have Risa as Risa and not STO's version of Gilligan's Island. You know, "No Starships, No Shuttlepods, not a single Ferengi."

I always envisioned the Risa zone to be the cliff-face resort we saw on Enterprise. And the resort have seperate areas for the roleplayers having their own rooms and such (seperate instances if possible).

You got a shuttleport and transporter room area that's outside a plaza with NPCs selling various goods (hopefully new goods).

A Unique NPC that sells Risan Swimwear that can only be used on Risa and wearing the swimwear grants special abilities like swimming or surfing. (Surely the tech is there with the Winter Wonderland tech).

Oh and of course, this NPC only accepts Latinum.

A Bartender that serves drinks that you can't find anywhere else in STO. Cardassian Sunrise anyone?

And of course, whats Risa without the unscrupulous types and the action?

You could have a special Black Market NPC there that sells only unique weapons. (Perhaps tie it to those other Black Market NPCs on Earth and Qo'nos and reveal those common guns are something not so common).

Run ins with the Cartel or the Orion Syndicate.

Maybe a "friendly" fist fight with visiting Klingons (not sure why Klingons be on Risa, but can't exclude them).

Well, that's my take of the Risan Possibilities.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=11
Quote:
I always referred to it as Gilligan's Island, "No Starships, No Shuttlepods, not a single Ferengi".

If Risa was to get an honest revamp, I could easily see them making the cliff-side resort from Enterprise. In one hut you have your private quarters (in it's own instance), and you have other Starship Captains (with their own tales, perhaps some connected to the Foundry). As you travel to another, you might start seeing more unscruplous types like Ferengi businessmen who are haggling, then at the far side, you start getting to dangerous parts of the resort where you start running into dangerous criminal elements.

Along the beach, of course you got the beach with its tourists and Risan offering their services. And nearby you got the dance hall (that we saw Worf and Jadzia hide during the terrorist "assault").
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

Gorn shows skin......well scales.

And I thought they did have a skin layer, I recall the glitch in Beta testing of topless Klingon female BOFFs. So surely they could make bikini's available for female players.

Anyhow, don't recall seeing any topless attire on Risa even for men, so they could easily make full-piece swimsuits or go exotic with bikinis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Klingons, and getting all of those various minigames would be my main concerns,

Well Klingons don't believe in off-duty.

But why not simply let them visit Risa? Given Romulus, it appears the war is over. Then again, why give them Risa when they should have their own unique vacation / social zone that gives a reason to play a character in the Klingon Empire?

So instead of Risan sunbathing, give Klingons a more appropriate vacation spot. Maybe give us a social area on Boreth and we get to visit the temple (not just the one on the mission).

Maybe the famous landmarks on Qo'nos, where Kahless stood. Like the Kri'stak Volcano? And players could go Targ Hunting.

Perhaps Forcas and let players have a hunting area, social area, and the ability to have their own Bat'leth tournaments in a FFA (Bat'leth only) arena.
Captain
# 29
01-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
Swimming, and a whole underwater zone has been part of CO from day 1. I'm not sure how exactly it can be hard to add swimming into STO since it's the same engine...
I dunno. I was just repeating what I heard. If it's BS then it's not the first time.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Republic Veteran
# 30
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Q: (maddinm214) When will social zones receive an update?

Dstahl: With the success of the New Romulus and Tholian Adventure Zones, we are looking to go back to our existing social zones and give them a similar treatment. One of the zones being thrown about for a possible Springtime or Summer event is to have it take place on Risa or somewhere similar where all factions could enjoy some fun in the sun.

Picard speedos please thanks