Survivor of Romulus
# 1 Straight Question
01-09-2013, 03:48 AM
With the potential arrival of a Romulan faction and the limit on Alt slots I am now considering a Second account.

So the Question

Is there any reason I can not have a second account ?

Additionally is there any reason I can not have two Gold memberships?

Id like a simple and non sarcastic answer if at all possible.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
With the potential arrival of a Romulan faction and the limit on Alt slots I am now considering a Second account.

So the Question

Is there any reason I can not have a second account ?

Additionally is there any reason I can not have two Gold memberships?

Id like a simple and non sarcastic answer if at all possible.
1. There's no reason you can't have as many accounts as you please. You will have to found a NEW PW account though, with a different email, etc.

2. There's no reason you can't pay for as many Gold memberships as you please.

I have some questions for YOU, though.

1. Just how many alts do you have?! And why do you need that many? Are you running your own fleet consisting only of yourself and your alts? Is it just so you can grind as much daily resources as possible?

2. If you're going to pay for 2 gold memberships it might be more beneficial in the long run to take at least one of them to lifetime status. Given how much you play you'll make up the initial layout back in no time.
Community Moderator
# 3
01-09-2013, 03:58 AM
I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware, there is no limit on the amount of character slots you can purchase.
Twitter: @STO_Alecto | Voluntary Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums | Ferasan Shadow Force
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
01-09-2013, 05:09 AM
There seems to be a limit (discussion on another thread)

I have 40 alts at this time (covering a vast range of options and combinations)

I do indeed form two alt fleets (largely for ease of admin)

I do not "grind" in any given day I play between three and five of them (not the same ones)
I sometimes feel like doing a mission with one of my Klingons or running some fleet ops with my favorite Gorn

Each is a faction correct , canon correct person (most have race specific crews and era specific uniforms and weapons)

We need an AA meeting (altaholics anon)
Career Officer
# 5
01-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Unless you need to have 2 Toons Online at the same time....it would make more sense to buy Character Slots. That way any C-Store Account Wide unlocks will be available to all you new Toons.

I took over by brothers account when he died, so I am running 17 Toons on 2 accounts. The 3 on my brothers are just for DOff Farming.
Captain
# 6
01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I said this in another thread and I am going to say it again.

Any discussion about buying character slots/more accounts for a pending new faction is premature at best at this point.

Cryptic has made it clear their F2P model means you can play all aspects of the game without paying a dime, if you so choose. Currently, if you are a F2P player, you automatically get a slot for 1 federation character and 1 klingon character. I would assume this would continue if a new faction was introducted and all current and future accounts would get 1 free romulan account. Assuming all this is correct, you would automatically get your free slot to play the romulan faction regardless of how many slots you currently own. the result being you wouldn't need to buy another slot unless you want to play multiple characters.

Is this wild speculation on my part? Yes, but no more so then people wondering if they should buy more slots for an as yet non-existent and unannounced faction. My point is, before you spend money on something, or go through the effort to create a new account, wait and see what happens and if you truly need that extra slot.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I figure Cryptic could use the revenue
Career Officer
# 8
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Very true... BUT... You don't have to supply it all by yourself.

To reiterate what was said above, you can have as many accounts as you want. Gold or silver. However, from what I understand, you can only have one Forum account.
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc
Captain
# 9
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:

Which is an opinion you are perfectly entitled to. I was merely pointing out, that if you feel you need more slots for a Romulan Faction, you are jumping the gun and might be spending money or time (in the term of creating a new account) you don't need to.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Any discussion about buying character slots/more accounts for a pending new faction is premature at best at this point.
Not just for your reasons but... A new faction is far from looming. They've got their laundry list of things to do with the KDF first that they haven't even begun to actually address, with the KDF itself still in a state where a lot of things they're given turn a loss, making a third faction a huge gamble.

Then there's the sneaking suggestion that comes and goes from dev communication that a Romulan faction would only be independent for introductory levels before branching off and becoming either Federation or Klingon anyway and not a true third faction.

But, yeah. Long way off. In 2010, the Romulans were slated for "maybe late next year" with the same list of KDF improvements as a prerequisite. Now starting 2013, that KDF list has actually managed to get longer instead of shorter and the Romulans are no closer.

It'll be a long time. I doubt it'll even be 2013, but if the KDF is in a really better place in season 8 I might rethink that opinion. Either way, it's probably 2-4 seasons away, and 4 seasons was enough to completely reinvent the game - very little of season 3 survives to the current game. Who's to tell how much of the current game will be around in season 9, 10, 11, or 12 when the Romulans arrive.

Last edited by hevach; 01-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.