Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 41
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
That platform does have a cool MES ability on it!

I still like mine, I flew it soooo often in STF's. Just GW's and Torpedo spreads for ALL the BORG!!

PVP though, when you drop that platform on a cap, watch those feds 20k or 15k out drop target on you. Not saying it's soooper effective. Just saying it is fun.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,836
# 42
01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
Cool by me. When I said 'somewhat undermines your argument,' I meant precisely that -- it doesn't mean I'll completely dismiss anything you say.

Man. I wish the Varanus was still like that, though!
I still feel kinda like an idiot now even though it seems I'm at least partly right since there are still versions of the Varanus out there that work like this and several pieces of info in the Wiki are unreliable as well.
So there was no reason for me to assume the ship was changed so fundamentally without any part of it affecting my own ship.

I took that screenshot the day I posted it (you can see it's a post S7 screenshot due to the "reputation" tab).
I also know for a fact a good friend of mine also has one that still works the old way.
But appearently it's naiive to assume it's the same for everyone else as well.

Seems kinda weird but appearently with STO I can't even expect that my ship works the same way another ship of the same class does.
To me this says a lot about the way the folks at Cryptic work because this pretty much goes against just about everything I ever learned about object-oriented programing, or software design.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 43
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I still feel kinda like an idiot now even though it seems I'm at least partly right since there are still versions of the Varanus out there that work like this and several pieces of info in the Wiki are unreliable as well.
So there was no reason for me to assume the ship was changed so fundamentally without any part of it affecting my own ship.

I took that screenshot the day I posted it (you can see it's a post S7 screenshot due to the "reputation" tab).
I also know for a fact a good friend of mine also has one that still works the old way.
But appearently it's naiive to assume it's the same for everyone else as well.

Seems kinda weird but appearently with STO I can't even expect that my ship works the same way another ship of the same class does.
To me this says a lot about the way the folks at Cryptic work because this pretty much goes against just about everything I ever learned about object-oriented programing, or software design.
Let me be the first to offer my sympathies. And here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

Glad you could make it!

Welcome to the land of foggy descriptions, poor tooltips, oh and the list goes on.

Did you hear the one about the vendor they set up so players could turn in legacy consoles that the server sweeps missed? Good stuff.

By the way I set up my first Varanus as an all plasma burner as well. Good times.

And you're STILL not getting a scout ship. Unless you ask nicer. Offer to make them cupcakes and do QA.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 722
# 44
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Nononono.. you have to PAY THEM MONEY UP FRONT... just so you can be treated like a life time subscriber...


*3 years and zero updates to the Captains table...I'm beginning to wonder if there ways I could monkey wrench STO to tell the truth. Mybe then we might get a compnay making multifaction MMO's that might just do it right.

Honestly cannot belive TSO got voted best Free MMO... because its far far far from the best.. very little content compared to ohhh half a dozen mmo's I can think of off the top my head..Free to play MMO's taht aren't even as greedy at trying to such the players money.. NCSofts still pretty after all these year **** comes to ind.. do fior a major facelift in just a few months.. ((Yes **** is free to play!))
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,836
# 45
01-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Let me be the first to offer my sympathies. And here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

Glad you could make it!
Thank you.
I mean it.
It's the KDF part of the STO community that keeps me...well...in the game and somewhat sane when it comes to STO.
On the other hand Cryptic and a certain other part of the comunity seem to drive me nuts at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Welcome to the land of foggy descriptions, poor tooltips, oh and the list goes on.
Bad descriptions, tooltips...even a lot of the bugs I can deal with.
They're like a pink elephant on a unicycle.
At first you think there's something wrong with you.
When you finally understand what's going on you don't know whether to laugh or cry.
It's simultaneously funny and painful to look at because it feels...wrong.

This thing with the Varanus is something that, for me, goes beyond the normal level of stupid.
This is pink elephant on a unicylce breaking the sound barrier.
Not sure how else to describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Did you hear the one about the vendor they set up so players could turn in legacy consoles that the server sweeps missed? Good stuff.
Yup, but at least there they had the guts to admit what was going on...probably because it affected both factions.
This...well it's a Klingon-only feature like the transporter diverting you to the shipyard feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
By the way I set up my first Varanus as an all plasma burner as well. Good times.
Yeah, it's a nice setup.
Somehow the Gorn feel like they'd be the ones going for the direct approach...just take the plasma from the reactors and hurl it at the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
And you're STILL not getting a scout ship. Unless you ask nicer. Offer to make them cupcakes and do QA.
I thought about writing a poem, maybe that'll do the trick.
But I'm not going to work for an entity that's as mythical QA.
It's like the Lochness Monster, the Yeti and Bigfoot..,you keep hearing about it but there's not enough evidence to prove it actually exists.
This last part of the thread shows that pretty well IMO.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 46
01-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=514331

Look in there. Carefully! You will see the basis laid for ships with higher levels of customization than currently, including a suggestion for a Science/Tactical hybrid that I used by way of example to explain my thoughts on the entire process.

Customization is coming our way, like it or not. So we may as well start putting ideas out there as to how to implement it with a process with built in balance tools, as opposed to all willy nilly.

Cheers!!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 47
01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
You know, after experimenting with plasma torp/beam builds on other ships, I'm wondering if the great strength (at least in pve) for Varanus might be a Romulan torp boat arrangement.

With access to embassy consoles, a Fleet Varanus would be _devastating_ with plasma weaponry, even without a lot of tac abilities.


I'm unlikely to try it myself, because KDF fleet I'm in might have enough resources to have embassy consoles sometime in the late 2020s.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 486
# 48
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
You know, after experimenting with plasma torp/beam builds on other ships, I'm wondering if the great strength (at least in pve) for Varanus might be a Romulan torp boat arrangement.

With access to embassy consoles, a Fleet Varanus would be _devastating_ with plasma weaponry, even without a lot of tac abilities.


I'm unlikely to try it myself, because KDF fleet I'm in might have enough resources to have embassy consoles sometime in the late 2020s.
Even then, some of its Federation counterparts would be much better at this. They have science vessels that come with either more tac consoles or more tac Boff powers, based on the one you choose.

For example, look at the Fleet Recon Science Vessel; it has one more tac power AND one more tac console. And the Fed ship that has the same console layout as the Fleet Varanus has a Lt. Commander Tac slot.

We still need something similar on this side, even if they decide to leave the Fleet Varanus in it's current pointless state. I say 'pointless', because DPS is the name of the game, and there's a good reason you mainly see two specific fleet science ships used by Federation characters (aside from those who just like a class from the show and want one)...namely, the FRSV and FSRV.

Last edited by aethon3050; 01-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 49
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
The simple fact is that science sucks because... science sucks. Every ability we have is painfully weak and has a long cooldown, and can't contribute equivalently to similar abilities of other classes, let along special consoles and weapon procs. One little ensign slot shouldn't be important enough for a 5 page thread, but in the current state of the game it is. And they keep nerfing these abilities more and more. The sad fact is that the only really decent science ships on either side are the Vesta and possibly the Temporal Sci. The former only gets there by having DHCs that run off Aux power, and I honestly don't know what people see in the Temporal Sci.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 486
# 50
01-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Sci aren't really designed to work alone; they're designed to make it easier for their teammates to kill their enemies. They are a force multiplier, and they do it fairly well, IMHO, although gravity well's pull is currently on the weak side (or graviton emitters is just not effective enough).

The problems crop up when they are on their own (which can make solo PVE a pain in science vessels with less than Lt. Com Tac slots), or when a situation arises which requires the science vessel to contribute DPS for the team; ThIS is why the Feds still have the best science vessels, by far.

Last edited by aethon3050; 01-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM.