Career Officer
# 491
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorkafei View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to step out of line or anything! I wasn't trying to insult anyone.
No harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorkafei View Post
I just seem to recall tacofangs stating several times that it was either this, or a "window into space," the latter of which wouldn't give the proper feel -- something with which I agree. It may be that holographic technology existed on the viewscreens, but we as the viewer did not see much of that in action, hence his statement why a 2D image would feel like the correct way to go.

Anyhow, I don't want to rekindle an argument that was already resolved! I would certainly like to see some animation on the viewscreen, or some area-related imagery when/if the devs can get to it. I just think it's important not to focus on one small detail, and instead on the larger idea of setting the proposed ideas introduced by sumghai into motion in some way, shape or form, even if not exactly as proposed.
Yes, no need to rekindle the fires that were once quinched.

But if you go back, he was thinking I was refering to every player bridge in the game, while I simplified it to merely mission / event bridges. Because it would require them to not only redo every player bridge, but add new technology.

Hopefully, someday they could so we can play more from our bridges and make us feel like Starfleet Captains.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Survivor of Romulus
# 492 Interiors...
01-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Decks:

Deck 1: Bridge

Deck 2: /Crew Quarters/Mess/Captain's Quarters

Deck 3: Recreation Deck (Lounge, Poker, holodecks)

Deck 4: Medical/Sciences/Transporter/Astrometrics

Deck 5: Engineering/Cargo Bays/Shuttle bay

First Level Customizing: Carpet, Wall, LCARS, bulkheads. Then also a ship layout where you chose the basic shape of your ship (IE round saucer, arrowhead (voyager style), etc.)

Second Level Customizing: Player customized Crew Uniforms (like we can with Fleet rank uniforms except 1 for tac, 1 for eng, 1 for sci/med, 1 for civilians)

Third Level Customizing: Player selected Shuttlecraft placed in shuttlebay. Player selected Warp Core.

Fourth Level customizing: Player created bridges. Select pre-fab general bridge shape then player adds in captain's chair, stations, etc. Can then select boffs for each station. This also removes the MSD from the bridge. Possible c-store add-on Customization would be dedication plaques.

Decks should be standardized including the following:

Deck 1: bridge, conference room, ready room, turbo lift(s)

Deck 2: turbolift, mess hall, captain's quarters (with tailor option locker/dresser), generic crew quarters (min 6)

Deck 3: Lounge, Rec room with Poker mini-game, Holodecks that can be used to activate specifically created holonovel foundry content.

Deck 4: Sickbay, medical labs, science labs (with a mini-game/crafting attempt to build Android/lib Borg Boff - with a 1 week cool down and hard success rate), astrometrics labs (with daily particle/data sample scan mini-game), Transporter Room (foundry mission start point)

Deck 5: Main Engineering, Engineering labs, Cargo Bays, Shuttlebays (ability to interact with shuttle causing shuttle launch (just as far as going out the shuttlebay door to keep it generic enough) Then loads to player flying shuttle instead of ship. Reverse is true for changing back from shuttle to main ship. (c-store purchase)

Now the big change, interior scaling. There have been countless complaints about the scale of ship interiors and Cryptic's response has always been, well we need the room for the camera. Not trying to be rude, but that it completely false, and here's why. STO has this VERY underutilized option of going into a "shooter mode" which places you into first person view, and with some very minor changes that could be adapted to work perfectly with ship interiors. All they would need to do is replace the weapon reticle with a more generic "interact" one and have the mouse buttons work as click instead of fire (IE like you can click to talk to NPCs). This would allow for much more proper scaling and add to the immersion of feeling like you're actually walking the decks of your ship.

In Conclusion:

I know all of this seems like a TON of work, but the reality is MUCH of this is already in-game, and what isn't in game shouldn't be that hard to do, other than the custom bridges, mini-games, and as for the shuttle cutscenes, they could be a later addition.
Career Officer
# 493
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
Now the big change, interior scaling. There have been countless complaints about the scale of ship interiors and Cryptic's response has always been, well we need the room for the camera. Not trying to be rude, but that it completely false, and here's why. STO has this VERY underutilized option of going into a "shooter mode" which places you into first person view, and with some very minor changes that could be adapted to work perfectly with ship interiors. All they would need to do is replace the weapon reticle with a more generic "interact" one and have the mouse buttons work as click instead of fire (IE like you can click to talk to NPCs). This would allow for much more proper scaling and add to the immersion of feeling like you're actually walking the decks of your ship.
Pretty much the Dev team has been shying away from that old camera excuse when the Belfast (Defiant) interiors were introduced. And with the great success of the TOS and Belfast interiors, they added new bridges that weren't "football fields", like the canonical Wells and Jem'Hadar interiors.

As for the Shooter-mode interactive function, that's already available.
NO to ARC!

Captain
# 494
01-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
Decks should be standardized including the following:

Deck 1: bridge, conference room, ready room, turbo lift(s)

Deck 2: turbolift, mess hall, captain's quarters (with tailor option locker/dresser), generic crew quarters (min 6)

Deck 3: Lounge, Rec room with Poker mini-game, Holodecks that can be used to activate specifically created holonovel foundry content.

Deck 4: Sickbay, medical labs, science labs (with a mini-game/crafting attempt to build Android/lib Borg Boff - with a 1 week cool down and hard success rate), astrometrics labs (with daily particle/data sample scan mini-game), Transporter Room (foundry mission start point)

Deck 5: Main Engineering, Engineering labs, Cargo Bays, Shuttlebays (ability to interact with shuttle causing shuttle launch (just as far as going out the shuttlebay door to keep it generic enough) Then loads to player flying shuttle instead of ship. Reverse is true for changing back from shuttle to main ship. (c-store purchase)
I'm going to have to disagree with that.

Each ship class (at least, the ones canonically shown) have varying deck and room layouts - it break realism and immersion to homogenize them.

Besides, the Defiant only has four decks.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 495
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Besides, the Defiant only has four decks.

There is a maintance deck under the warp nacelles.
NO to ARC!

Captain
# 496
01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post

Minor details!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 497
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Minor details!
Not according to the (canon) Defiant-class MSD on Memory Alpha.

Now, even if that maintenance deck at the bottom *was* considered a Deck 5, it would be too small to fit Main Engineering, Engineering labs, Cargo Bays, Shuttlebays that voicesdark suggested.

In short, I'm not a fan of having all ship classes share the same room/deck configuration. The proposal doc may suggest rooms spread out amongst more decks, especially larger ships such as the Galaxy and Sovereign, but we can skip "uninteresting" decks e.g. those that are primarily crew quarters, trunk lines or auxiliary systems.

If we skip these unneeded decks, then the remaining ones can be spaced apart far enough so that the Jefferies tubes linking them would give the correct sense of scale and distance.

Now, this has reminded me of another issue:

The more decks one has, the more "low priority interaction" buttons that would appear at the bottom right corner when entering the turbo lift. Perhaps:

- As soon as the player enters the turbolift, a standard interact button would appear labelled "Access Turbolift Controls" or "Select Destination"

- A window would open, with a MSD-like turbolift diagram in the top half, and LCARS-style buttons with accessible deck / room descriptions at the bottom.

- The MSD would have the current deck highlighted (perhaps in an inverted color scheme).

I'll try making mockups of these turbolift dialog boxes later today for the Intrepid and Galaxy classes.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 498
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
You forget the MSD is basically the view of the interior along the centerline of the ship. So any extra decks that are located on the nacelles would not show.

Second, in DS9: "Way of the Warrior", "Rejoined", "Starship Down", "To the Death" refered to a Deck 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Now, this has reminded me of another issue:

The more decks one has, the more "low priority interaction" buttons that would appear at the bottom right corner when entering the turbo lift. Perhaps:

- As soon as the player enters the turbolift, a standard interact button would appear labelled "Access Turbolift Controls" or "Select Destination"

- A window would open, with a MSD-like turbolift diagram in the top half, and LCARS-style buttons with accessible deck / room descriptions at the bottom.

- The MSD would have the current deck highlighted (perhaps in an inverted color scheme).

I'll try making mockups of these turbolift dialog boxes later today for the Intrepid and Galaxy classes.
I could see that happening. Especially if they implement interior missions, where some decks are only accessible for missions. Of course, this might be troublesome since every ship would be different.
NO to ARC!

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Career Officer
# 499
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see a functional holodeck and be able to purchase holoprograms and be able to purchase a 3D chess set or some other game from the Star Trek universe to play aboard ship. Another thing would be some variety in design for the mess hall, engine room and etc. maybe add an Excelsior bridge and Constitution class bridge skin from The Undiscovered Country? However more features would be nice to encourage people to use bridge view more often. Ability to personalise the ready room and captain's quarters.

Last edited by kylelocke; 01-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Career Officer
# 500
01-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.
It was also a coding nightmare to hear former Paragon Studios tell it. They couldn't really touch it or update it without it breaking everything :/.

And partly why I imagine that AE didn't use the base creator system at all.

[ No offense to the coders who wrote it, I imagine it was a lot of effort to get it to work at all ]

[ Edit ]
I'm really not awake... I thought the thread was just 1 page, and recent, not 50 and old. So Blah.