Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 11
01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
The Fleet Norgh and Hohsus are both quite decent, what really bugs me is the Fleet B'Rel.

It's a T5 ship, and what does it get compared to the ordinary B'Rel?
Hull like the Hohsus.
Shield power it has no use for whatsoever. The shields are offline 95% of the time.
An Engineering console, so better armor or an additional universal console - compared to the Hohsus 4th Tactical console and Norghs BOff ability.

The Hohsus also has a bigger crew complement.

Not sure if it's Cryptics plan to have T4 ships in the same class that are strictly better than the T5 ones.
I suspect it's just KDF getting screwed over once again.
You're quite right.

Not only is the fleet B'rel a joke, it is also getting nerfed (or got nerfed) along with the regular cstore brel.

Its a torpedo stealth ship and minelayer... yet they nerf mines to kingdom come. Torpedoes are weak vs shields (not accurate in trek) and cannot be spammed like energy and cannon rounds due to their own timers plus weapon buff timers.

IF... and IF... torpedoes were given the same rules as cannon attacks..aka high yield/spread functions over 10 seconds time and affects all launchers... then MAYBE torpedoes would be functional in the b'rel to a point where theyd be competitive with a from-stealth cannon run.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,357
# 12
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Very nice video.

If anything it shows that this game is best enjoyed when its not so damn fast. Slow motion in the video is great to see the action but just IMAGINE if the game was about 25% faster than the video itself. It would make for incredible and very tactical combat and would TRULY bring out the graphic power of the game.

Instead however, things zoom by at ridiculous speeds and one is forced to ignore the ships,graphics and explosions just to focus on moving, firing and watching your shields and the target's. Its a chore more than a game.
I agree that this game really is a good looking game, and I mysefl was very surprised at how well it rendered in slow motion. Check this vid out, it has a full speed recap at the end, feature the ridiculous speeds you mentioned!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAA...otq2By_2-8qqIg

And PLEASE for anyone watching this stuff, especially the slow motion stuff. These are great tools to use to see how combat works. You can see the buffs on both ships as it happens in the split seconds that you can miss while you are actually playing. You can see how a full health ship is actually very vulnerable if it isn't proactively running defenses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwio...FBCB5E088B924C

those are some helpful tutortials!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,609
# 13
01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Question: how is the Fleet Norgh "super tuff and rugged" in any special way? Do the two universal LtCdr slots really open up that much defensive capability? Personally, I don't really think that being able to decloak, kill, and recloak makes it rugged, per se, just a starship assassin... which your videos show it doing a really good job of.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,665
# 14
01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
Question: how is the Fleet Norgh "super tuff and rugged" in any special way? Do the two universal LtCdr slots really open up that much defensive capability? Personally, I don't really think that being able to decloak, kill, and recloak makes it rugged, per se, just a starship assassin... which your videos show it doing a really good job of.
as a user whose tac alternates between Fleet Norgh and Hoh'sus, I can say that "Yes", the Norgh seems to have a gestalt to it that exceeds what can reasonably be expected from the stats.

Particularly in how well it survives (for a Bird of Prey).

Part of that, of course, as with ANY BoP, is due to the choice of the right Bridge Officer abilities, and part of it is the correct parts and Doffs.

But a goodly chunk of it, is just that it's a fun little ship.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,357
# 15
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
as a user whose tac alternates between Fleet Norgh and Hoh'sus, I can say that "Yes", the Norgh seems to have a gestalt to it that exceeds what can reasonably be expected from the stats.

Particularly in how well it survives (for a Bird of Prey).

Part of that, of course, as with ANY BoP, is due to the choice of the right Bridge Officer abilities, and part of it is the correct parts and Doffs.

But a goodly chunk of it, is just that it's a fun little ship.
Yes, what you say, no question about it.

I was joking before. My ship has 21.5 K hull.

But the careful choice of bridge powers and the timely use of them, make it SOOPER for about 20 seconds or so. For my build. Others have different builds and demands they put on thier ships.

And dead things don't shoot back much. So again it was a little bit of levity on my part.

Cheers!!!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 251
# 16
01-10-2013, 03:24 PM
It was a touch choice between the Norgh Retrofit and the Hoh'sus, but I chose the Hoh'sus for the extra tac console and because I believed the Norgh was a death trap.

Now I may get one and alternate between the two for my Alpha Strike needs. Maybe invest in Photonic Shockwave instead of Tractor Beam 3

Last edited by cliftona91; 01-10-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,665
# 17
01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftona91 View Post
It was a touch choice between the Norgh Retrofit and the Hoh'sus, but I chose the Hoh'sus for the extra tac console and because I believed the Norgh was a death trap.

Now I may get one and alternate between the two for my Alpha Strike needs. Maybe invest in Photonic Shockwave instead of Tractor Beam 3
Just remember the iron rule: they work differently. The Hoh'sus is a far better straight damage dealer thanks to that extra tac console, but the Norgh gives you a wider selection of ways to apply damage-sometimes even ways to apply damage that you don't have available to use with the seating of a Hoh'sus, Hegh'ta, or B'rel, and they're GOING to handle differently over-all.

I run my Norgh as a Polaron/Plas-leech build with BO2 for the spike and DHC's with the turrets running CRF1 and 2 as "Prep", with two copies of APO, TT1 and TT2, HE2 and the rest being shield boosting EPS1 and 2, TSS1, and for the last bit, usually DEM2, which works fairly well in STF's, but is NOT a good layout for PvP.

Basically-done ALL THE WAY WRONG. for PvP builds, I'd recommend taking Thissler's advice in your setups over mine, but mine DOES push some nice DPS for farming, and lets me occasionally toss heals and shield buffing to teammates.

What you should NEVER do in a Norgh, is try to tank. It's a backstabber, not a brute, so I'd really recommend you focus your abilities on things that give you extra punch on single targets, and let the Fed, or that Raptor on your team, do the area-of-effect and mob aggro work. (i.e. for pve-let someone ELSE draw the mob, then you pick 'em off).
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,697
# 18
01-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I could be more the fleet b'rel if it catered more to the design that it was in canon of shooting torpedoes while cloaked. I'm assuming though they do not have the tech needed to do what a lot of us who loved that ship in Star Trek 6: Undiscovered Country have. Even though it did get destroyed by two federation Starships it was still a great ship it was just the General in command was a bit too cocky LOL.

Without going into a rant and not explaining my views is you have 2 major issues why the KDF and the game as a whole doesn't like the Fleet B'rel. It will still carry its major weakness of fighting without any shields where any opponent in the game either npc or player has tractor beams, sensor scan, tachyon grid, charged particle burst, gravity well, emr to auxillary, antiproton sweep, and there are some others I may have forgotten but its way unabalanced and the only real hope is burning down a target with plasma or hoping to hit a 5% proc with the tier 4 omega passive. What it needs there is a function to balance the ship as in when it fires torpedos it has a red flash of the ship but doesn't actually decloak it because the way it works now even without all those skills I mentioned the sheer amount of times required to decloak to shoot torpedoes makes it where you do not even have to have any of those above mentioned skills to bring one down. The sad thing is that too as the KDF any time we try to get anything in the game we have all these people crying about that it wouldn't be fair but yet I am thinking of all the negative things vs any possible perk of using the b'rel and it becomes so limited everytime there becomes an advantage the whiners come out and then it goes and collects dust after its re-nerfed.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 844
# 19
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Set my heghta up,

Fore - 2 dhc, quantum torp, dual beam bank

Aft - turret, breen cluster torp

tac - tt1, high yield2, crf2, APB3 - soon to be - tt1, crf1, high yield3, apo3

Tac - tt1, BO2, APO1 - soon to be - tt1, apb1, BO3

Sci - he1, TSS2

Eng - epts, rotate shield

I'm going to buy a respec token tomorrow as when I built my tac u wasn't a fan or torpedos at the time so when I respec my tac will have bo3 and high yield 3 and apo3 and I'm maybe toyin with a tractor beam in there somewhere

I'm toying with the idea of buying a fleet norgh

This is mainly pvp use when there finally is enough people in the que to play however it does do well enough in ESTF's due to the sheer dmg output of the bop

Can any norgh users tell me if it is usable in ESTF's just with that hull?

Any recommendations are welcome or criticisms
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,665
# 20
01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafatennick View Post
Set my heghta up,

Fore - 2 dhc, quantum torp, dual beam bank

Aft - turret, breen cluster torp

tac - tt1, high yield2, crf2, APB3 - soon to be - tt1, crf1, high yield3, apo3

Tac - tt1, BO2, APO1 - soon to be - tt1, apb1, BO3

Sci - he1, TSS2

Eng - epts, rotate shield

I'm going to buy a respec token tomorrow as when I built my tac u wasn't a fan or torpedos at the time so when I respec my tac will have bo3 and high yield 3 and apo3 and I'm maybe toyin with a tractor beam in there somewhere

I'm toying with the idea of buying a fleet norgh

This is mainly pvp use when there finally is enough people in the que to play however it does do well enough in ESTF's due to the sheer dmg output of the bop

Can any norgh users tell me if it is usable in ESTF's just with that hull?

Any recommendations are welcome or criticisms
I run mine in CSE and KSE all the time. Something you need to take into account though-sometimes the Cubes will 'wake up' and trigger their drain/tractor/torpedo attack just because you decloaked in CSE, so if you want the Optional, I'd suggest finding four friends who're decent players and can work together-and running it either team, or Private.

Because it's REALLY EASY to do enough DPS compared to your average Puggy, that your BoP will draw all the aggro and die.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.