Captain
# 41
01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Dumbing down. I nominate Spock's Brain, wait that was back in the 60s or wait how about Rascals in the 90s or wait how about a whole episode about a baseball card in the mid 90s or wait how about humans evolving into large salamanders.

Actually, I found T'Pol to be the best non-human to be stuck with human Trek character. In the beginning of the Series, she clearly did not like being on the Enterprise evolving to the point where she chose a human to be with rather another Vulcan.

Like all of the series, the show was slow in getting established, but by Season 4, it was actually very good. If you seen the plans for Season 5, Kzinti!!!

I do like the NX-01 and it wasn't the ship's designers fault, if you read the history of designing the NX-01, the producers wanted the akira-esque hull, the ship's designers were planning on doing a ship similar to the Daedalus.
Rihannsu
# 42
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
The SPCA sucks....

Actually, the Nazis weren't Xenophobic. Not as a whole. And in the episodes with the Nakuhl, this gets brought up. Only a few Nazi officials ever see the Nakuhl, and they agree that it is best to keep the source of these Nakuhl weapons secret.

When I heard they were planning to use the Kzinti I went ;-;. I would have loved to have seen that!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Remus
# 43
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
both T'Pol and 7 of 9 were nothing more than exploited characters serving as eye candy to attract viewers of a certain demographic
I agree with you, but I'd also like to point out that's originally why they created the part of Wesley Crusher.

Quote:
The decontamination chamber, oh yes, lets all get hot and sweaty in our underwear while we rub vasoline on each other, ahhh Yuck.
I would simply direct you to the following site as it does a good job of explaining the origins of the decon protocol. TL;DR version: The guy who invented it was a total broski.

Last edited by squatsauce; 01-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Captain
# 44
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
The issue is not that the Nazis were doing business with aliens, the Space Nazi description comes from that fact that those aliens were dressed up in full military uniforms. German officers would be outraged if a non-Aryan wore the uniform let alone extraterrestrials.
Alien monsters dressed in Nazi uniforms is a cliche' villain straight out of a bad comic book.
Captain
# 45
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post
I have to admit all the T'Pol sex symbol hate makes me laugh
though, once you consider, Uhura (or random guest of the week), Troi, and 7 of 9. You could probably make an argument for Dax (both of them) in there as well. Or maybe Kira. There has always been a sex symbol in Star Trek, its just updated for how much they can get away with during the time the show is shown. If TOS had been made now instead of the 60s, well, take a look at the movie for that.
The thing that really bugged me with it, was how much Jolene Blalock was degraded as a woman in her role, and I lay that blame squarely on Brannon Braga... He'd gotten away with degrading Jeri Ryan with the catsuits (and even wound up hooking up with her) as a ratings revival, so decided to work the same trick for T'Pol. But what really did it for me, was the scene in Carbon Creek where she was dressing and then undressing behind the sheet. Nipple is visible in the silhouette. That was totally unnecessary, so in my opinion, that was just exploitation. The other scenes where she'd get naked with Tucker, again, unnecessary and just a cheap excuse to get some bare ass on screen, but the sheet scene was a step too far, IMHO... Uhura didn't wear anything which was not already seen in the fashions of the day, and the same goes for Troi, Dax and Kira (although they did get Terry Farrell in a bikini whenever they could (and suggested she had a threeway in the holosuite at the beginning of Way of the Warrior) but that was way more subtle than the Seven and T'Pol treatment... Same for the the Motion Picture... Sure, Ilia wound up wearing a very short skirt, but it wasn't as if she was made to strip behind a sheet for gratuitous nipple shots...
Captain
# 46
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Rick Berman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Brannon Braga
Thank you.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 47
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
The issue is not that the Nazis were doing business with aliens, the Space Nazi description comes from that fact that those aliens were dressed up in full military uniforms. German officers would be outraged if a non-Aryan wore the uniform let alone extraterrestrials.
Alien monsters dressed in Nazi uniforms is a cliche' villain straight out of a bad comic book.
That's a good point, I'd have to rewatch the ep to see if it's mentioned. IIRC they weren't "regular" members of the military though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 48
01-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Berman and Braga. That's all.

Berman worshiped at the altar of the Great Bird, but he thought Gene's Trek was all about technobabble and stuff.

Berman didn't even know what Trek was about at all.

They took a heavy hand to this show, which is similar to what they did to Voyager. That's why they felt the same, in terms of quality.

As such, fans didn't get what they wanted. They wanted a prequel. Exploring space, meeting and getting along with somewhat familiar aliens. Set up for all the stuff we've heard about over 24 seasons of Trek. What they got was Voyager in the Past for two seasons: an occasional good episode, mixed with a lot of junk. A temporal cold war might have worked for Voyager, or even a post-Voyager show or movie, but it was about the worst thing they could have done for a prequel.

The Xindi arc was a marked improvement. Yes, having it be the Xindi at all, instead of any other known alien (they're not that far from Earth!), was dumb. But they made the most of that dumb stuff, and it turned out OK for the most part. Until the Time Alien Nazis.

But after that, it actually turned into what the fans had wanted way at the beginning. There was even a lot of set-up for the fabled Romulan War! But it was too little, too late. By the time folks figured out things had changed, the show was already done for.
Captain
# 49
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Really? So many people dislike the ENTERPRISE theme song, of any of them?

I've been into Star Trek since the early '90s, and it instantly became my favorite opening. I can't see a better-fitting song other than that "Space, the final frontier" one voiced over by Scott Bakula. Actually, they're equally good, IMO.

Then again, I'm the insane type that enjoys both J-pop and country music somehow. But meh.

Star Trek: Enterprise was a great addition to Star Trek.
Starfleet Veteran
# 50
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
That's a good point, I'd have to rewatch the ep to see if it's mentioned. IIRC they weren't "regular" members of the military though.
There were time travelling space Nazis in Gestapo uniform, in a regular German army uniform, and a bunch of T.T.S.N.'s in little white lab coats with swastika armbands.

It was just silly.