Captain
# 11
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
My worst STF had to be an ISE where someone bailed just because someone was too trigger happy on the generators. So there was the standard elitist comment, then they left. Personally, I would never do an elite STF besides ISE in a PUG. Some ISE are painful and others are just amazing at how fast they go.

Personally, I run ISEs through the reputation event so I am guaranteed 75 Omega Marks. If it takes more than 30 minutes to finish, then people have already bailed on it or it should be done soon.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't understand the complaining about this, if you hate PUGS then get some freaking friends together or join a Fleet that will do them within the Fleet itself. You should be well aware of the risks involved before you get into that queue, this is the nature of the PUG system in ANY MMO - you take the risk of teaming up with some scrubs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
You can build a decent ship with green consoles and weapons if you are careful.

What I have a problem with are these stupid-obvious clown-car builds that are everywhere.

Question: if you can build a decent ship with "green consoles and weapons".... what, exactly, is the problem with blue phasers that makes the use of them a "stupid-obivious clown-car build"?

Honestly curious, I've not heard any particulars about those weapons. (And, yeah - my pre-Breen-ship tac-captain cruiser had one blue phaser on the back, because, as far as I could see, it was another phaser I could use, to go with my non-rainbow, all-phaser, all-phaser console, build. So I'd like to know what glaring mistake I was accidentally making. So I can be more informed, and not make similar mistakes in the future.)
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
well I was in a STF fleet base defense last night, a guy in a Galaxy X (with that optional ship skin) who was on my team was either greifing or something.

We were tasked with defending the transwarp gate he runs off and starts flying around the map from the start at full impulse then when the battle starts instead of coming to the transwarp gate with his team mates he helps the four guys at the industrial fabricator. He finally came to transwarp gate after we were the last ones still fighting with only 3 men. After the base defense and we went back to the warp gate for round III he ran yet again to the industrial fabricator and he came in to help his team mates just as we blew the last ship. No one said anything but I commented in zone chat for him and all to hear "Welcome to the Party, seems your a little late champ"

Those are the kinds of people you dont want to be when it comes to teams. You dont want to be the person that leaves your team hanging high and dry even after a team mate (me) said that we have this facility to defend return here for round III.

As far as the blue phasers goes, I have them on my Constitution Refit and I even went one on one with a fleet member to try out a new build he did on his Odyssey, I constantly had his Reman Prototype shields failing between the three blue retrofit phasers Mk XI and the Mk XI transphasic torpedo. Point is though, it doesnt matter what weapon you are using they are all useable. When it comes to large battles such as the STF I mentioned above its more of a team effort and everyone working together. You cant expect one ship to bear the brunt of the battle and carry everyone. I dont know how many times Ive kept the siege dreadnought busy long enough till the rest of my team listened to me and helped me to put fire power on him. Im not using cheap weapons either they dish out quite a bit of damage but one ship isnt going to always be a one man show and those that think everyone can be a one man show is fooling themselves.

Last edited by milner62; 01-10-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
01-10-2013, 10:17 PM
People with little time have to do PUGS.

Especially with the STF cool down.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Republic Veteran
# 16
01-10-2013, 10:45 PM
There are many great STF players in the fleets I hold membership in.

However due to the timezone differences getting together enough players is a challenge sometimes.

Elite PUGs are normally not this bad, either we've got a fresh batch of stupid that needs to be trained or we got a bunch of griefers running around.

When I refer to a clown-car build I mean flying in dropping mines wheather or not you are near anything, firing off various random abilities just for the lightshow and aggro-ing everything with spread and FAW before leaving the match. I've seen this far too often lately, it's like someone's cat is mashing buttons on the keyboard.

If I see this kind of behavior again over multiple STFs I am going to assume we have a coordinated trolling-griefing group on the loose and I will take the step of spreading names among the various fleets I hold membership in.... and also file tickets.

We'll see, hopefully it dies down a bit over the next few days, I don't want to get nasty if I can avoid it.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Rihannsu
# 17
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
I don't want to get nasty if I can avoid it.
You *can* avoid it; it is called a choice. When one person or group of people start thinking that it is okay to publically shame people without having all of the facts, it usually comes back to bite them in the butt. Hard.

Have you ever exchanged tells with any of those people about whom you complain? I doubt everyone was in the match just to grief.

It's the high and mighty I-am-better-than-everyone-else types that run people away from the game. You yourself said that you take this game seriously, and I would almost say a little too much, mate. If someone not building their ship to your specifications cannot play with you without the possibility of being pubically humiliated, then perhaps you need to take a step back and get some priorities in order. This is a video game; it is not real life! If you have to take the game that seriously, then do as someone else said: Run with your fleet. You could even join the STF chat channels that are geared specifically towards people who run elites often. Start building a list of friends that you can team with when others' on your fleet seem to be absent. There are loads of possibilities here.

Don't misunderstand, I, too, get upset when there are idiots in a PuG, but unless the entire team is uselss you can generally save the match easily enough. Do you ever explain the generators or do you assume that people know exactly what to do? Some people may be playing with their chat tab closed, it does happen. Some may not have english as their native language and may not understand you. Some people may also want specific powers for concept or theme, and some powers tend to stay "trigger" happy all on their own, which in itself can be frustrating. Yes, there are griefers out there, but crap also happens. We thought we had a griefer on one of our last ISE's, afterwards they sent my husband a tell, they had no idea what they had done wrong. They were having difficulty with their chat, I sometimes do as well... I won't see a single bit of text for the whole match, but my husband might. This person saw a couple lines of text and didn't know about the generator rule, but after the match we actually talked to them instead of running to the forums to scream foul and griefer. Someone actually learned a little something about that STF that day, and it helped them become a better player.

Long story short: If you cannot put up with less-than-perfect players, then do not join PuG's. Period. If you have to have everything just so, with the best players and the best ships, then form your own groups.
Captain
# 18
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't do STF's because I know very well I'm not up to it yet--and frankly, I do not want to go through the many sessions of getting yelled at from people who think everyone ought to be perfect, that I can see I would get if I tried.

That said...I will...um...confess to literally having had my cat run across my keyboard during Borg Red Alerts (which are the only way I will ever see an Omega Mark...at least people in Borg Red Alerts don't generally treat each other like trash even when they're horrible at it and we end up losing). She cannot seem to understand the rule "lap=OK, keyboard=BAD."

So I would make the following two points: Attitudes like what I am seeing here are the reason I don't even ATTEMPT to learn how to do STFs. And secondly, you DON'T always know what's happening on the other side of the keyboard and who really DOES have kids, crazy cats, or other things happening IRL, so don't be so hasty to judge and ostracize.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 19
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with the blue phasers, especially the MK XI rare phasers. You do not need MK XII purple weapons to win an Elite STF. You can probably do it just fine with common XI stuff if everyone works as a team.

Also, it might take a bit longer to beat ISE with 5 cruisers, but it is doable if everyone does their part. But it is a PuG. If you want to specify which ships and classes are used, form your own team.

The biggest problem is not the weapons loadout. It is that people do not know the proper strategy. Since you obviously know it, try to teach them. Belittling them does not help.
Rihannsu
# 20
01-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I don't do STF's because I know very well I'm not up to it yet--and frankly, I do not want to go through the many sessions of getting yelled at from people who think everyone ought to be perfect, that I can see I would get if I tried.

That said...I will...um...confess to literally having had my cat run across my keyboard during Borg Red Alerts (which are the only way I will ever see an Omega Mark...at least people in Borg Red Alerts don't generally treat each other like trash even when they're horrible at it and we end up losing). She cannot seem to understand the rule "lap=OK, keyboard=BAD."

So I would make the following two points: Attitudes like what I am seeing here are the reason I don't even ATTEMPT to learn how to do STFs. And secondly, you DON'T always know what's happening on the other side of the keyboard and who really DOES have kids, crazy cats, or other things happening IRL, so don't be so hasty to judge and ostracize.

Great post, and I agree. My husband and I (and fleet) run elites often, you are more than welcome to join us at any time. Drop me a PM and I will send you my global name if you like. I am *far* from perfect, nor do I have the most elite ship that money can buy, but I know the ropes well enough and if someone makes a mistake...? It isn't the end of the world. I think I have failed 1 STF in the last 6 months due to a team that truly did have no hope going for it.