Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 21
01-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Erm... unless I've missed something (highly likely), there's been no mention whatsoever of future Featured Episodes besides the one-off for the 3 year anniversary.

From everything that Stahl (and others) have said about FE's in the past, it would seem that they're dead and they're not coming back - instead expect more rep-gated mini-missions and cut scenes a la New Romulus.

It's funny, I've been playing through the FE's for the Lobi during the reruns and I can understand why they're loath to make more - take Facility 4028 for example - a huge brand-new map with all-new NPCs and systems - it must've taken them ages to build and get working properly.

But it's never been used since - neither has Bajor, the DS9 exterior, the TOS retro-stuff from the Devidian arc - all these amazing environments gone to waste.

Which really, is where they've gone wrong - they should (much like the shows) be telling stories based around what they have, what they can adapt and reuse (and forget the voice-acting - it's an unnecessary expense).

But instead, they look at how much and how long something like The 2800 took to make and say 'it's not cost effective' - well, no wonder when every new FE had to (in their eyes) be epic and using brand new assets.

Me? I'd just like to see more of Kestrel's story
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 22
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
But it's never been used since - neither has Bajor, the DS9 exterior, the TOS retro-stuff from the Devidian arc - all these amazing environments gone to waste.

Which really, is where they've gone wrong - they should (much like the shows) be telling stories based around what they have, what they can adapt and reuse (and forget the voice-acting - it's an unnecessary expense).

But instead, they look at how much and how long something like The 2800 took to make and say 'it's not cost effective' - well, no wonder when every new FE had to (in their eyes) be epic and using brand new assets.
Hearing this argument always amuses me. The work has already been done, now all Cryptic has to do is be slightly creative, redress the interiors a smidge, write up a semi coherent storyline and voila, new mission.

Instead, we get their laziness and the expense of creating "new" content thrown in our faces for the reasons why it won't happen, while at the same time brand new, and broken, systems are being shoved down our throats to siphon off player resources and create another revenue stream.

It's greed and laziness, plain and simple.

The kicker? Players are using incomplete, archaic and in some cases flat out broken tools to create content that kicks the crap out of most of what Cryptic's done in a fraction of the time for zero cost.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,657
# 23
01-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Erm... unless I've missed something (highly likely), there's been no mention whatsoever of future Featured Episodes besides the one-off for the 3 year anniversary.

From everything that Stahl (and others) have said about FE's in the past, it would seem that they're dead and they're not coming back - instead expect more rep-gated mini-missions and cut scenes a la New Romulus.
dstahl said, a few months back now that FE are not dead and that there are more to make. this was in response to a lot of post by people claiming they were dead.

i dont have the post to hand and i cant remember the exact wording but it was something along the lines of 1 series, possibly 2 in season 8.

now as i said earlier, that can change on a moments notice and nothing is set in stone until its hits the servers but yes they have plans to make more.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 90
# 24
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Interesting theories.

My guess would be A Mirror Universe FE Series as they keep appearing randomly in some missions.
Maybe Tholian/MU instead. But I think MU will definitely be a part of it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 737
# 25
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
It's funny, I've been playing through the FE's for the Lobi during the reruns and I can understand why they're loath to make more - take Facility 4028 for example - a huge brand-new map with all-new NPCs and systems - it must've taken them ages to build and get working properly.

But it's never been used since - neither has Bajor, the DS9 exterior, the TOS retro-stuff from the Devidian arc - all these amazing environments gone to waste.
Sure giant empty enviroments for chasing bunnies, which you'll never visit after 40 days of boring grinding (well maybe again just before you try to kill yourself with boredom) are way better

On a side note ... it took them 6 months work for FE Series 1-3 ... so i can't believe "it took us ages to do this" - BS ... especially since Enviroments in FE 1-3 are way better imho than FE 4, which is when the whole argument started ... noone ever told us this crap during FE 1-3

It all went from "We hope to get rid of the 1 month break between FE's, which might be manageable" to "Despite a lot of new resources thanks to PWE, it takes to much time and manpower to make just one per year" ... got the joke ? ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 01-11-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22 AM.