Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,200
# 51
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I will speak my mind and damn the torpedoes. Earns me a warning or some such, then so be it.

Okay. This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek


Others posted about communications. Again, Well Said, Sir or Madam. We had a saying when I was in the Cav - 'No commo equals no combat.' And no, I am most definitely not speaking about TS, Vent or the Chat Window here. Good communication about with newer players about any STF occurs prior to the Engage button being pushed. Not during the mission and most certainly not after they've made a rookie mistake (Either actual or just in the eye of the beholder). It is also not expressed in negative or disparaging terms.

Good communication on the part of the New Guy does not mean their eyes should be glued to the Chat window either. They'll miss the Sphere which is about to hammer them flat. Ooops. During the STF, watch what the other players are doing. Do not try to be the Hero. Heroes only get the rest of the team killed off. After watching, try to make what you're doing help what the team is doing. If they stopped firing on a target or they are moving away from Donatra's Scimitar, there's a reason for it. Follow their lead here. After the STF is over then you can ask why they did things the way they did. And what they did may not follow 'Conventional Wisdom'. My Fleet tries for the 10% Rule but we're not zealots about it. There are other ways to score the Optional.

When I first started playing STFs, I tried to use the 'wingman' concept. I would pick another ship or player and follow them. When they shot, I shot at the same target. When they moved, I moved to cover them so if they were engaging something I had little chance of doing any damage to, they didn't have to watch their backs. I would heal someone if I got the chance. Even if it appeared they didn't need it. And if someone got abusive or rude, I bugged out. Not going to change their opinion of me anyways. The Leaver Penalty was, and still is, worth it to avoid someone unpleasant. They are not going to stop being unpleasant or rude or abusive. There are zero consequences for their bad manners. So why should anyone put up with someone else calling them names?

I mentor newer players for my fleet. We chalk talk the mission prior to ever going in and I try to make sure they understand how things should be done and ought to proceed. This is how I was brought along when I first started playing STO and I've yet to see any reason not to continue doing things this way. No plan survives contact with the Enemy however. Part of being a good mentor is expecting people to make mistakes and then patiently explaining, again if need be, how to correct the mistake. I suppose we'll just have to wait until next time to score the Optional. Oh well. Guess what? This works! Further, it allows the newer players to enjoy the game as much as us old sweats do. It also means the young 'uns are far less likely to do something incorrectly and lower the success chances of the group.

@Sollvax: I wonder if you could please let me take a look at those codes you spoke of. Looks like an excellent idea and I'm always up for seeing how someone else does it right. Either PM me here please or visit the Team Judge website. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Last edited by bluegeek; 01-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 307
# 52
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
At this point I was hoping your whole wall-of-text would continue just like that.
Bam, Bam, Bam. It would have been grand. It got me kinda excited.

I wasn't really disappointed, tho, what you said should be an example to all the "elitists" out there...
altho I can't quite grasp what's so great about the codes?
Maybe it's because I've not been in the military.

Many things you said reflect my own experiences.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

He's dead, Jim.

Last edited by bluegeek; 01-11-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,165
# 53
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Off-topic...

I'm noticing some violations of PWE Community Rules and Policies in this thread.

Let's keep the conversation civil. There's no need for further hostility here.

Please show some respect for other people's opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

Stick with the facts -- Please don't speculate about other people's motivations.

When referring to other forum users, please leave off any personal references to beliefs, feelings, behavior, intelligence, character, skills, etc.

Any post that's been crafted to provoke an angry reaction is trolling and is subject to moderation, warnings, and infractions. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO TROLL POSTS! Report them.

Read the rules (see above)

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Live Long and Prosper,
Bluegeek
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
# 54
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
There are two types of players in this game that annoy me. Elitists and Baddies.

Elitist: Thinks they are in some way superior to others when infact they are not. Typically lack game mastery knowledge, skilled play, and/or social skills. They are the ones to scream and shout when someone messes up their 'plan'. I love calling these people out when I'm in a grumpy mood.

Baddies: Not to be confused with Rookies. Baddies are bad when they should not be. They simple do not put the tiny amount of effort into learning the game or what they are doing. Ironically most Elitists are Baddies as well.

As for myself, I am just an average skilled player with solid game knowledge that cares enough to put in a good effort for myself and my team. I also do my best to carry teams when they are lacking. I refuse to communicate unless someone asks for advice simply because I have done these missions more times than I care to count and they are not that difficult. Nor do I have any desire to create a social connection with those I pug with. I'm kinda like the Hulk of avengers I do my part just leave me alone while I do it. Although he does beat me in DPS and tanking ability.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 307
# 55
01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Off-topic...
Did you.. change anything in my post? I.. just wonder because I see no difference.
The changes are in the quote?

Sorry, yes, this post is kinda off-topic. But it's your fault really. [FIXED]
I just want to know if I actually did anything wrong myself because it's not quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Elitist: Thinks they are in some way superior to others when infact they are not. Typically lack game mastery knowledge, skilled play, and/or social skills. They are the ones to scream and shout when someone messes up their 'plan'. I love calling these people out when I'm in a grumpy mood.
You should put that "elitists" into quotes like I did, because what you're talking about (and I was referring to) isn't actually what an elitist is.
Actual elitism is based on (perceived) merit combined with an "exclusive" attitude.

He's dead, Jim.

Last edited by lolimpicard; 01-11-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,763
# 56
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I don't do STF's because I know very well I'm not up to it yet--and frankly, I do not want to go through the many sessions of getting yelled at from people who think everyone ought to be perfect, that I can see I would get if I tried.

That said...I will...um...confess to literally having had my cat run across my keyboard during Borg Red Alerts (which are the only way I will ever see an Omega Mark...at least people in Borg Red Alerts don't generally treat each other like trash even when they're horrible at it and we end up losing). She cannot seem to understand the rule "lap=OK, keyboard=BAD."

So I would make the following two points: Attitudes like what I am seeing here are the reason I don't even ATTEMPT to learn how to do STFs. And secondly, you DON'T always know what's happening on the other side of the keyboard and who really DOES have kids, crazy cats, or other things happening IRL, so don't be so hasty to judge and ostracize.
My advice (if you do want to try STFs) - Do a few of Normal just to get the hang of them and see what's required. Then (once you feel comfortable) try the Elite STFs (and if you don't know something - go ahead and ask. I'd rather see that then someone trying to 'wing it' on an Elite.

That said - When I decide to PUG an Elite STF, I go in knowing that (even on 'The Conduuit' <-- which overall is the easiest and most straightforward) most likely, the team will NOT get the optional. I also don't go nuts/get nasty if someone makes a mistake/AFKs/Whatever; I just do what I can to make sure we at least get 60 OM for successfully completing the thing. If you go into an Elite PUG EXPECTING to always get the optional, you're going to be in for a LOT of dissopointment.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 57
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I used to use those ToS phasers. Ran a 6/2 build on my sovy, and did quite well in pugs. Even with mk X green phaser consoles. I wasn't holding my team back (much), and still had enough DPS to knock down probes in KASE, kill BoPs in CSE, demolish gens and hurt probes in ISE.

Don't be hatin on those ToS PoS weapons. They are great weapons (minus that annoying as ballz sound effects they have).
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,639
# 58
01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Torp Spread and Fire At will are good useful skills even in STFs. You just have to use them right. A carefully aimed tricobalt spread can waste a group of probes and heavily damage spheres.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 307
# 59
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Torp Spread and Fire At will are good useful skills even in STFs. You just have to use them right. A carefully aimed tricobalt spread can waste a group of probes and heavily damage spheres.
What I see sometimes is people starting to attack the same Nanite Generator I do - even after I shot a Breen Transphasic Cluster Torp at it and while my Bio-Neural Warhead is quite clearly on its way.
I just sigh and switch targets at this point, knowing full well that the generator will go boom soon - worst case I position myself to slow down the soon-to-appear Nanite Spheres.
So far always had teams that were good enough to not fail the optional because of this - but it's hilarious if people attempt to tell you off because of it, especially the one who ostensibly fought "your" Generator and inadvertently caused its destruction by the Bio-Neural Warhead.

He's dead, Jim.

Last edited by lolimpicard; 01-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,639
# 60
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
That is a clear case of a bad usage. But it doesn't make the skill bad.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.