Rihannsu
# 21
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbang View Post
But why would they use old designs, surly they have improved designs for better warp/transwarp capabilities.
That's just it. These are NEW designs that simply look like the old ships on the outside.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 22
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
They have Non-CaNon ships in the game...

So, it's not at all unreasonable to expect more in the future.

But do you really believe that Non-CaNon ships will sell as well?

A past post by Dsthal about how terrible a Klingon Ship did in the C-Store, should be your guide to the answer of that question.
No! Cannons! Non-cannon ships. They must not have cannons.

But seriously, regarding the Klingon ship:
Odds are it's one of the pre-T4/5 ships.
The only purpose of KDF at the moment is to get to 50 asap, because there's little content and most of the content there is a repeat of content geared towards the Federation side.
So many just do a lot of Mirror-Universe at every opportunity - and then you have little incentive to buy any KDF c-store ship except for the endgame ones - because in regards to endgame content the factions are somewhat equal at least, apart from the KDFs utter lack of armor visuals, kit visuals, clothing options & c-store ship options.

It's easier to like (and buy) one out of 30 ships than it is to like one out of 5 ships, too.

He's dead, Jim.
Ensign
# 23
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Because Starfleet only knows how to rehash designs instead of coming up with something fresh and original. They've turned into Hollywood now, and are only interested in re-releasing stuff over and over again until you puke. There's a floormat outside Starfleet HQ's that reads "Welcome back to the 23rd Century!"
Captain
# 24
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Lets not hope it is just the Feds that gets them there nothing like Tug War.It is what happens in Star fleet Battles.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Commander
# 25
01-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
But why would they use old designs, surly they have improved designs for better warp/transwarp capabilities.
Because as the old saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

The Miranda Class has been active since at least the time of The Wrath of Khan, the Constitution class was present at the battle of Wolf 359 and the Oberth class was in use from the late 23rd century and well into the 24th (First appearance Undiscovered country, last appearance Battle of Sector 001)

At the end of the day, why send a long mission cruiser on a mission to Risa or Vulcan when an refitted older model ship will do the job?
Captain
# 26
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Correction, Oberth was first seen in The Search for Spock.
Lieutenant
# 27
01-11-2013, 07:41 PM
old ships mixed with new is needed for the fanbase, but me, being such a nooblet, i want a Nerada class.......20 front slots for torpedo's
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
01-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Because money. Really, that's the only reason they need.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Captain
# 29
01-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Seriously, why are we getting all these ships that are from the past? I can under stand T1-3, but T4+ should all be 25 century style. C'mon cryptic, common senseplease.
At the risk of sounding repeatitive (since others have said it). Cryptic is trying to cater to all fanbases.

There are people like me, who like canon ships. We like to feel a part of the shows we loved to watch for (what is for some people) most of our lives and nearly all of our growing up. I have little to know interest in non-canon ships. I want to fly something I recognize. The Vesta and Amassador classes have been clamored by the fans for ages.

I am not saying that folks like yourself shouldn't get their new "25th Century" Ships. It would be stupid of Cryptic to overlook either group. Both are part of the game and both have an equal right to get the ships they want and be able to fly them.

Any ship below T5 isn't going to sell well, and for some of them, probably isn't worth the development costs. Much as I love the NX class, I have not and am still debating ever purchasing it. why? cause it isn't worth my time. why should I pay money (via Zen) for a ship I am going to use for 2 days and then it is going to be obsolete.
Commander
# 30
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
Correction, Oberth was first seen in The Search for Spock.
Well that puts it as even longer in active service and helps to prove my point then

Simply put, Starfleet doesn't retire a design that still works just because of age, it's highly likely that these small ships are easier to reproduce in high numbers than say, an Odyssey Class ship meaning that it's more beneficial for Starfleet to have high numbers of older and smaller ships with lower numbers of the more powerful current models.