Career Officer
# 1 concentrated tachyon mines
01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
yeah its about time i made this post. i dont know if this is a bug or is intended but if you use these op mines you can speed up the cd to 12 secs with a dispersal pattrn beta 1. now they spit out 4 mines every 20 secs. how on earth can a dp make 7 mines every 12 secs? not to mention they are so op. cryptic please fix these stupid mines. i mean people can talk all they want about trics but these mines strip off ships better then how sci used to do it. you can have extends tss and rsp going with team fort and they will still strip off mines with ease. they need to have the debuff taken off and do 1/4 of sheild strip then they do now.

Last edited by broken1981; 01-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
01-11-2013, 11:42 PM
I dunno...in this case, I gotta say these really aren't a huge problem. I'm not saying they aren't powerful or anything.

For the DP thing...that is probably a bug, so if that needs to get fixed, then it should be of course.

But, these mines, while strong, can still be resisted with Power Insulators due to them being a shield draining effect. Plus I think they are boosted by Flow Capacitors (could be wrong), so if you haven't done that, they won't be as good.

In PvE, most things have SO much shielding it matters little, and the things that truly do get hit well enough by these you can kill easily enough without them.

In PvP, is, where most things do, they shine. They are powerful and very effective, but still only are mines. And only shield stripping mines. A good team is going to see and hear those mines the first time they are used, so any time after that, they know what to expect. On top of that, the person using them has to use a weapon slot, and potentially a BOFF slot to use a DP. Plus the 200 lobi cost to get them in the first place.

They are powerful, but I think they have enough counter-balancing not to need the nerf bat. If anything, they might have some bugs that need to get ironed out.

Career Officer
# 3
01-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I rarely run into them but yea I feel you they are real strong its a insulator fail I think.
Career Officer
# 4
01-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post

But, these mines, while strong, can still be resisted with Power Insulators due to them being a shield draining effect. Plus I think they are boosted by Flow Capacitors (could be wrong), so if you haven't done that, they won't be as good.
this is not true. i had polie getting extends, he used tss an rsp with my 1 turrent to shoot to get it to spin. he had maxed insulaters with borg deflector and still it riped off his shields. even old sci strip never did that. also for a mine hat will just pwn all shield facing should not have a debuff attached to it.
Rihannsu
# 5
01-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Personally, I wish I had them so I could test them out better and be sure on why they are so strong. But I don't have the Lobi right now.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1981 View Post
this is not true. i had polie getting extends, he used tss an rsp with my 1 turrent to shoot to get it to spin. he had maxed insulaters with borg deflector and still it riped off his shields. even old sci strip never did that. also for a mine hat will just pwn all shield facing should not have a debuff attached to it.
If that's the case then, they aren't resisting it enough.

I don't mean what you were doing, I mean Power Insulators itself. If even with all that you can still rip shields off like that, then something needs to be adjusted somewhere. Power Insulators should help a lot more than that.

I don't think they need to be totally nerfed or anything, due to their somewhat limited PvE usage. My thought is to look at toning down the shield stripping each mine does if you use it in a DP. Maybe also make them more need Flow Capacitors to be effective. I feel they should still be nasty if you get hit, but also that they should need some effort to be used well.

I own these btw. Don't really use em in PvP, but I've still gotten a lot of good use from em regardless.

Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
If that's the case then, they aren't resisting it enough.

I don't mean what you were doing, I mean Power Insulators itself. If even with all that you can still rip shields off like that, then something needs to be adjusted somewhere. Power Insulators should help a lot more than that.
I think resists from Power insulators are working against these mines, however, these things are insanely powerful. With a spec in Flow Capacitors and consoles you can easily get over 1,000 shield drain per mine. Then if you have a dispersal pattern beta to work you can deploy 7/10/13 mines respectively (I believe). It's correct that the amount of time that these things are cycled is a bit much given how effective they can be. I'm not sure how Cryptic should address a nerf but I don't believe increasing the effectiveness of power insulators is the way to go given that it affects so many other things. These mines were a poor design. Remember these mines work like a CPB or Tachyon beam and ignore shield resistance from TSS and Extend and do straight up shield damage.

Quote:
Maybe also make them more need Flow Capacitors to be effective.
Flow capacitors will increase their effectiveness.

Last edited by rooster75; 01-12-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Captain
# 8
01-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
Personally, I wish I had them so I could test them out better and be sure on why they are so strong. But I don't have the Lobi right now.
This is why its unlikely they will get nerfed, they cost mucho dinero and I really dont see then going to tell people that forked over 200 Lobi for it and thats about 40 keys meaning 4000 Zen.

A similar argument could be leveled to the Field Generator as its "unfair" to have 20% Shields and its not a easy available console by any means as it never drops and can only be crafted or brought in the D Store in its Blue Mk XI version, as a potential reward of a DOFF assignment, a potential reward of the DOFF pack or brought from the Exchange.

Fact is this game is not in any way fair in PvP, if you want to be competitive you have to pay Cryptic and you cannot get away with being Captain Tightwad for long, eventually the wealthier players will win out because they have the blig they PAID for with REAL MONEY (at least someone did) over people with budget constrains and less decked out ships.

In short, this is not a FREE PvP game, you want to be top of the game ... you have to pay Cryptic and their benevolent Overlords since they are not doing this for charity.

Oh I suppose Power insulators might get buffed but that would just lead to other issues and the usual rage-quit, I doubt there are that many players using a expensive B2W console anyway to be a widespread issue, also we all know what happened when they nerfed the stasis pistol to LOL WORTHLESS status because of the usual crying game every time Cryptic adds something that goes against at the static environment that STO PvPers wish to maintain.

(Even if, granted, they can be problematic but hey! mucho dinero to pay their electric bills)

(Yes, I am quite aware I am being very snaky about this)
Career Officer
# 9
01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I think resists from Power insulators are working against these mines, however, these things are insanely powerful. With a spec in Flow Capacitors and consoles you can easily get over 1,000 shield drain per mine. Then if you have a dispersal pattern beta to work you can deploy 7/10/13 mines respectively (I believe). It's correct that the amount of time that these things are cycled is a bit much given how effective they can be. I'm not sure how Cryptic should address a nerf but I don't believe increasing the effectiveness of power insulators is the way to go given that it affects so many other things. These mines were a poor design. Remember these mines work like a CPB or Tachyon beam and ignore shield resistance from TSS and Extend and do straight up shield damage.

Flow capacitors will increase their effectiveness.
dunno insulators suck if i can take a non specked kdg cpt with 0 skill in anything and suck a ship with 9 insulators dry of all power that might be a bit fail on insulators part... they do work for shield drain but i think the shear amount these rip off you just makes insulators look like a joke of a skill to speck into just like power drain does.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgrandalthor View Post
dunno insulators suck if i can take a non specked kdg cpt with 0 skill in anything and suck a ship with 9 insulators dry of all power that might be a bit fail on insulators part... they do work for shield drain but i think the shear amount these rip off you just makes insulators look like a joke of a skill to speck into just like power drain does.
I'd like to respond but I don't understand what has been written here. Under what conditions makes 50% resists from power insulators fail? Is it something like the old siphon drones that were broken and ignoring these resists? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Last edited by rooster75; 01-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.