Commander
# 21
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Here's the thing,

The 8000 Dilithium per day is because Dilithium is traded for Zen and is to limit the amount of Free* Zen you can get per day and to attempt to get you to buy Zen to trade for Dilithium. This is a standard across the industry where you can trade Cash Shop currencies for an ingame one.

The time limit between STFs, another standard for repeatable content, done to prevent people from doing nothing but farming the same piece of content over and over. And be glad, in most MMOs end game raids/dungeons have a 24 hour cooldown.

Same with the dailies, most of these offer a big reward for 20 mins to an hours work and so are limited to prevent people farming.

I'll admit that the timer for Rep Experience missions is nothing short of slowing down our advancement, but at the same time most people who've farmed it have only reached Tier 5 recently with just under a month to the next new content release, and (hopefully) three months to the next, this is a situation some MMOs only dream of with most people clearing new content in a week to a month then leaving till the next content addition.

Plus look on the bright side, the Investigate Officer Reports mission (although it does now require a little more than clicking a console) can be repeated every half hour, and like all other repeatable missions in game, counts down from when you take the mission.

Find a foundry mission that takes about 30mins+ and farm that if you want easy Dilithium. I reconmend either the Spotlight missions of either of the Amanda Barcley missons (A will and a Barcley and One too Many). Both are fun simple and take just over 30mins to run. One too many even has multiple options for the first battle including one against easier versions of the STF bosses. (actually just ordinary borg but with the skins of the STF bosses and the Assimilated Undine)

*Free doesn't take into account time costs or the fact that someone somewhere has paid for the Zen.

Last edited by bluedarky; 01-11-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 22
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
LOL Hi Roach!
Hi! Yeah I dislike the time limits as well but I can live with it over other options they could have gone with instead.

Btw, if you come across Big Red Jedi in swtor say Hi for us and tell him he is missed.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
# 23
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:

Everythings much slower now with the depressed STO economy.
Which may be why they put time limits on some missions, too slow the economy down and slow the accumilation of individual player wealth.

I do not think its working though.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
01-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Hi! Yeah I dislike the time limits as well but I can live with it over other options they could have gone with instead.

Btw, if you come across Big Red Jedi in swtor say Hi for us and tell him he is missed.
I'm pretty sure I have seen that name in chat in SWTOR! I will pass that on.

I'm also pretty sure he's one of my friends in STO and might have helped me through The Cure a long time ago.

I am aware of the Dilithium sink. I believe it should reset at 12AM regardless of last refinement.

If they are going to have all these limits then they need to put countdown timers on everything so we can see how long we have to drag.

That should tie up all their developement resources for the next couple of seasons.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 25
01-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
I am aware of the Dilithium sink. I believe it should reset at 12AM regardless of last refinement.
Actually, it is reset at 12:00 AM everyday - it's just reset at 12:00 AM UTC.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Community Moderator
# 26
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
It would be a really crappy universe if we all liked the same things. I don't think anybody in Cryptic expects us to play nothing but STO. I know for an absolute fact many Cryptic employees play other games, and other MMORPGs.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 27
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
What bugs me is dilithium is gated per character, not account.

The system is geared to reward me for playing as many alts as possible so I can farm effectively.

I don't want to do that. I just want to play my two main characters. And I'm effectively punished for that.

(Note that I have nine character slots -- that's not the issue)
Ensign
# 28
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
While I don't feel as limited as most people considering how I have 10 toons, I can see where you are coming from. I, like the OP, do go to other games when I am feeling story starved but I still prefer to play STO as I have a lot of friends here. Now if only I could find a way to way to get dilithium without having to do the same content over and over. I guess that's what contraband farming is for as well as officer dailies.

Off topic: You know you can buy most of the stuff from the Cartel market on GTN for ingame money. Just clarifying that though I still prefer STO's method.
Picard to Chunk, do the truffle shuffle!
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I bought all the stuff i needed in SWTOR's market with the stipend they gave me and i still have a lot of cartel coins left.

I also like to play just my main Toon, but I keep hitting those limit barriers.

I just got the Outcast Update for Gratuitous Space Battles so that should hold me for an hour.

"Multi-Point Tractor Beams" FTW
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 01-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Commander
# 30
01-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
We shouldn't need fallbacks.

A good business model would catch and hold players attention, not drive them away.
Considering I can log in, start my reputations up, do some duty officer assignments, get a little PvP done, log out, come back on 6 or 8 hours later to see the same people logged in on the same maps still talking to other people tells me they're not worried about driving people away.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403