Commander
# 21
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure a requirement as stated by the Prime Directive for membership in the Federation is having a unified government and population. Cardassia is anything but unified.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Captain
# 22
01-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
But.... There is an unstated assumtion there.

You're assuming that this is a "Do it or else" situation. As-is, all missions are optional. Phrasing the task summary as a direct order is somewhat anachronistic.
Doesn't matter if it is optional or not, you still have "potentially" a Vorta telling a Founder to do something. I don't see that happening in the Dominion.The Founders rule is absolute. In Fact, it is genetically required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
founder players would be unworkable
Sadly, I think this is true. I wish it wasn't but the realiities of a Dominion Faction may mean we can't have a Playable Founder species.
Captain
# 23
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I would like to see Cardassia actually end their civil war and start on a track to be more stable.
Republic Veteran
# 24
01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
Check your in-game logs and convert the Stardate. We're actually in the latter half of 2413.
the game Calder is ment to track your progress not the actually game story year...if a new player or someone starting a new alt there character is in 2409-2410 but the accolade unlock will say 2413 sooo yeah we are still in 2409-2410. FOR EV OR

Cryptic keeps making something signature worthy almost everyday now, I 'm taking a break
Commander
# 25
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
I'm pretty sure a requirement as stated by the Prime Directive for membership in the Federation is having a unified government and population. Cardassia is anything but unified.
No.

For one, it has nothing to do with the Prime Directive.

Second, Cardassia does have a planetary government. There are always going to be different factions and political parties, but the Feds only care that they are dealing with the representatives of a whole planet, and not a bunch of different countries; or that the planet is on the tipping point of a big civil war. Cardassia, as a planet, does qualify for Federation membership.

The Cardassian Empire, on the other hand, is a different situation. Really, the Feds would probably accept any and all planets of the Cardassian Empire, should things get really bad between the legitimate Cardassian government and the True Way, just like they do with the different Romulan planets after that Empire goes down.

But really, the True Way are a bunch of raiders, not even a legitimate rebellion. They are only a big deal because they have a bunch of experienced Cardassian soldiers, and what's left of the Alpha Jem Hadar. They wouldn't be a threat at all if a)Cardassia still had an effective military of any kind, or b)Starfleet wasn't fighting two major wars.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfamily View Post
No.

For one, it has nothing to do with the Prime Directive.

Second, Cardassia does have a planetary government. There are always going to be different factions and political parties, but the Feds only care that they are dealing with the representatives of a whole planet, and not a bunch of different countries; or that the planet is on the tipping point of a big civil war. Cardassia, as a planet, does qualify for Federation membership.

The Cardassian Empire, on the other hand, is a different situation. Really, the Feds would probably accept any and all planets of the Cardassian Empire, should things get really bad between the legitimate Cardassian government and the True Way, just like they do with the different Romulan planets after that Empire goes down.

But really, the True Way are a bunch of raiders, not even a legitimate rebellion. They are only a big deal because they have a bunch of experienced Cardassian soldiers, and what's left of the Alpha Jem Hadar. They wouldn't be a threat at all if a)Cardassia still had an effective military of any kind, or b)Starfleet wasn't fighting two major wars.
the Terran Empire seems to hate them too.. cant remember the mission name.. but the terran ship decloaks then destroys the spoon head ship for failing its task.
Rihannsu
# 27
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Doesn't matter if it is optional or not, you still have "potentially" a Vorta telling a Founder to do something. I don't see that happening in the Dominion.The Founders rule is absolute. In Fact, it is genetically required.

Sadly, I think this is true. I wish it wasn't but the realiities of a Dominion Faction may mean we can't have a Playable Founder species.
I would see it as something like: "Excuse me, sir, but there is a problem that we would like for you to assist us with".

That is totally believable. Also, there's the messenger aspect. If the Vorta is simply relaying instructions from the Great Link, well, hey, an order from the Greak Link is an order from the Great Link. It doesn't matter who the messenger is.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 28
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Maybe I should explain.

There's both groundwork in STO for Cardassia to join the Federation (it's only a few votes shy) and for it to plunge into civil war (secret True Way agents everywhere).

I think the gameplay driven answer is both.

It joins and immediately plunges into civil war.

This creates a situation where the Federation has to get involved. And if a prominent Klingon gets killed in the crossfire, it involves the Klingons.

You get a great little "Prime Directive" debate.

"We shouldn't get involved in their war."

"They're at war because we let them join the Federation."

You can always have True Way/Obsidian Order come out on top... Or not.

But it creates a compelling reason why the endgame action would shift to that front if, as I say, they join and before the ink is even dry, within minutes, they collapse into civil war and thousands die.
Rihannsu
# 29
01-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Maybe have it also start a "warm" war(minor skirmishes but no major mobilizations) with the Dominion? That assumes that the True Way would join the Dominion, but it would work as a reason for the Dominion to be less cooperative.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 30
01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I would see it as something like: "Excuse me, sir, but there is a problem that we would like for you to assist us with".

That is totally believable. Also, there's the messenger aspect. If the Vorta is simply relaying instructions from the Great Link, well, hey, an order from the Greak Link is an order from the Great Link. It doesn't matter who the messenger is.
The problem with this aspect is two fold.

1) it is VERY species specific. While I would buy that approach for a founder, it would not work for any other species in the Dominion. The Dominion does not request things of its "vassal" species. It orders it. If the other factions are any indication, dialogue is very agnostic. it goes by the approach that whatever species you are, you get the same dialogue.

2) My understanding of the Great Link is that it is all incompassing of the Founders as a species. They don't really need messengers as far as other Founders, because the Founders never leave the Link, except for business the Link feels is important, and then They go RIGHT back to the Link. They aren't likely to remain away long enough to need a vorta messenger.