Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Star Trek damaged ship problem
01-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I go into battle, a torp hits my hull and I get this massive scorch mark or even exposed "inside". Oh ... hang on that is legacy ... . What gets to me , is I look damaged then a minute later it looks like nothing happened. It feels really un-realistic. I think we should keep the scorch mark until we die, or go to a Star base which can then "heal" the ship. I quite like the injury's , because it seems quite real if your hit on the weapons array and it is not very efficient. But I dont see any aesthetic damage. Also, it would be good to get a minor injury before we die. Going back to ST:L , if you came out of battle damaged, your systems would be more or less in good condition but you would have loads of burn marks. Even in battle you would have fire coming out, I find in STO , the fire is massive compared to the ship!. I think Star Trek needs to learn a bit from ST:L when it comes to this thing.
What do you think?
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Career Officer
# 2
01-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
I go into battle, a torp hits my hull and I get this massive scorch mark or even exposed "inside". Oh ... hang on that is legacy ... . What gets to me , is I look damaged then a minute later it looks like nothing happened. It feels really un-realistic. I think we should keep the scorch mark until we die, or go to a Star base which can then "heal" the ship. I quite like the injury's , because it seems quite real if your hit on the weapons array and it is not very efficient. But I dont see any aesthetic damage. Also, it would be good to get a minor injury before we die. Going back to ST:L , if you came out of battle damaged, your systems would be more or less in good condition but you would have loads of burn marks. Even in battle you would have fire coming out, I find in STO , the fire is massive compared to the ship!. I think Star Trek needs to learn a bit from ST:L when it comes to this thing.
What do you think?
don't they think will do that heck you can't even created ships that are visually damaged in the foundry
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Commander, R.R.W. Ravenclaw
"I would use my Legacy of Romulus title but everyone and their father use that"
Ensign
# 3
01-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Yeah, it is unrealistic. Adding such a visual feature would make battles far more enjoyable.

Thing is - they didn't make the game with such things in mind - and it's very unlikely that they will ever add it. It was requested lots of times, I bet.
For an example, Star Trek: Bridge Commander has a brilliant damage simulation system. It's not going to happen in STO, though.
Lieutenant
# 4
01-13-2013, 05:11 AM
The scorch marks are your visual indicator of hull percentage. Many do not like watching the HUD, and some even play without it altogether. I would enjoy lingering visual battle damage, but that very clearly invalidates Cryptic's intention for the effect.
Captain
# 5
01-13-2013, 09:37 AM