Career Officer
# 11
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
From what I remember a while back, a dev stated that they are not part of the Screen Actors Guild, or do not support it (cannot remember which). Therefore getting actors that are part of said guild is quite difficult.

Money I am sure comes into it, it would depend on the stature of the actor. Getting Denise Crosby to do a voice role is markedly different to getting Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart himself in the game....
Republic Veteran
# 12
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Combine CBS's stranglehold on the IP with Cryptic's scattershot (at best) writing and an inability to actually make anyone who looks like anything in the STO character creator, and you've got what we get ingame.
The reason we don't get Picard hair is for that same reason because of likeness rights.....they did a great job with morn who you cant make in the character creator

Captain
# 13
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
I would argue that no matter how they are displayed, their images are perpetually out there. You could go back and play any of those old Trek games and see their likeness.
Except they have already been paid whatever royalties they were entitled to based on the sales of each unit.

Quote:
Heck, all you have to do is pick up a star trek paperback to see their likenesses perpetually out there.
Again, each book you may see in a store was already purchased from the publisher, and any royalty fees that applied would have been paid already. A stand-alone game's profits are based on unit sales. Same for books. But an MMO, whose profits stem from subscription fees and microtransaction sales is not easily quantifyable. The way such things are handled may make it cost prohibitive to license the likeness of the actor.

Quote:
I don't understand why there would be a difference in licensing a likeness for a MMO vs a single player game. There doesn't appear to be any difference in the voice acting side of things..
Also, it depends greatly on the agent representing the actor in question. Every job the actor gets, his agent takes a cut. There are a lot of factors that go on behind the scenes that the general public is not privy to. So the actor gets paid for a voice job. The agent gets a cut. And if I am not mistaken, the SAG gets a cut as well...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Captain
# 14
01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
So where do you guys get your law dagrees from?
I don't think anyone said anything about law degrees. All I have said is what I remember reading somewhere, and admittedly I am not too sure if I am remembering correctly.

I think the best way to address the issue is to say that if there was not a significant cost attached to it, or if it wasn't wrapped in a ton of corporate red tape to be able to do it, theyr would have the likenesses of every Star Trek actor whose characters make sense to have in the game...

DeForest Kelley's estate may not have minded his likeness being used. James Doohan's estate may have denied permission.

Every time an actor's likeness has appeared in a game or on a book cover, licensing and royalties likely applied and were folded into the budget. And another thing that we have to understand here is that CRYPTIC does not get the money from subscriptions or microtransactions. PWE does. Cryptic employess get paid a sallary that they signed a contract for. PWE will fire them rather than just cut their pay if profits are down. Most contracts have a termination clause in them, but if a contract is signed for a specific amount of income, then that is what they must pay, or be sued for breaking contract.

So Cryptic does not have this big budget for hiring actors and such. They would have to petition PWE for the fund, and PWE would have to weigh the costs vs profit probabilities before granting it. That my friends is why we do not have the likenesses of many Trek actors in STO...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
01-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Wikipedia brain extension. If we had this conversation yesterday morning while wikipedia was offline for server maintenance, my contribution to this thread would look more like this.

You never need to be an expert to understand a situation when you have several petabytes of sourced, reviewed, and indexed information available. You never need to resort to, "Hmm... I don't really SEE any difference at first glance, therefore I assume there is none."

Last edited by hevach; 01-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 16
01-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I have to get this out of my system

What does that make us?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

One thing at a time, I hope we get more guest starts from the show, I mean I've seen Patrick Stewart whoring his voice on other shows lately so maybe down the road he might come by.

And I know Michael Dorn will do anything, so just throw some lock box money at him.

Captain
# 17
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Personally, I would like to see STO create their own interesting characters that are NOT based off of previous Star Trek characters. Actually develop a real personality for them and make them distinctive. This can take place over several "seasons". We don't need to have Chekhovs high school sweethearts third child from her second husband second cousin twice removed.
Republic Veteran
# 18
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
Personally, I would like to see STO create their own interesting characters that are NOT based off of previous Star Trek characters. Actually develop a real personality for them and make them distinctive. This can take place over several "seasons". We don't need to have Chekhovs high school sweethearts third child from her second husband second cousin twice removed.
And they can't even do that right....They had an Andorian already established in the game Thelin Captain of the U.S.S. Kirk, but instead of reusing him they made a brand new Andorian Va'Kel Shon and gave him the Enterprise.

Career Officer
# 19
01-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
And they can't even do that right....They had an Andorian already established in the game Thelin Captain of the U.S.S. Kirk, but instead of reusing him they made a brand new Andorian Va'Kel Shon and gave him the Enterprise.
Well, to be fair, if they did as you suggest, they'd have to re-write existing mission content - whiich really does get them much of an ROI. I think they've done okay introducing new characters (like the captain and crew of the Enterprise-F; Admiral Quinn, Akira Sulu, etc.)

Hell, in the 47 year history of Star Trek, we've had plenty of 'one off bigshots' introduced (that were either large Federation historical figures, or role models for many of the cast characters) - who got an episode or a few lines of dialogue devoted to their exploits - but after that, we never heard of them again in most cases.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 20
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Well, to be fair, if they did as you suggest, they'd have to re-write existing mission content - whiich really does get them much of an ROI. I think they've done okay introducing new characters (like the captain and crew of the Enterprise-F; Admiral Quinn, Akira Sulu, etc.)

Hell, in the 47 year history of Star Trek, we've had plenty of 'one off bigshots' introduced (that were either large Federation historical figures, or role models for many of the cast characters) - who got an episode or a few lines of dialogue devoted to their exploits - but after that, we never heard of them again in most cases.
But part of the problem of this games characters is that most are either characters from DS9, Voyager or TNG or are the "great-great somethings" of a character. Akira Sulu is a perfect example of that. They need to be creative and make their own (and likable) characters