Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Captain
# 11
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Ah, well...another to tack on the list of "Ships I won't spend money on."

seriously, we have QUITE a sufficient number of Cruisers relative to other classes. almost it makes me wonder if the Devs just can't remember how to code anything BUT "yet another cruiser"-at least, for ships that can cloak, or maybe just wonder if this is another "beads, whiskey, and polio Blankets" clone-the-fed-content half-assing.
I don't see how you'd spend money on a free ship.

Other than that, KDF battlecruisers are fairly useful and more importantly, this is only speculation...
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Rihannsu
# 12
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
I don't see how you'd spend money on a free ship.
*chuckles* free... yeah, sure. You'll get a generic free variant for the anniversary, and two weeks later a superior upgraded version is gonna hit the C-Store or Fleet Shipyard.

It's f2p Cryptic, meaning that if it's free, then there's some kind of a catch (like, doing 25 races or paying lobi crystals for the breen ship, or getting an upgraded c-store variant like it was with the odyssey). So don't get your hopes up, because both the Ambassador and the KDF ship ARE going to be monetized one way or another.
Captain
# 13
01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
This one will be interesting to see what they come up with. If I don't like the ship that well, good thing I got the Breen ship. That is one ship I love using. I spent most of my time last weekend on that ship.
Empire Veteran
# 14
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I kinda hope the anniversary ship is a multiracial design of all the members of the KDF......
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Captain
# 15
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
*chuckles* free... yeah, sure. You'll get a generic free variant for the anniversary, and two weeks later a superior upgraded version is gonna hit the C-Store or Fleet Shipyard.

It's f2p Cryptic, meaning that if it's free, then there's some kind of a catch (like, doing 25 races or paying lobi crystals for the breen ship, or getting an upgraded c-store variant like it was with the odyssey). So don't get your hopes up, because both the Ambassador and the KDF ship ARE going to be monetized one way or another.
I agree that the Breen ship wasn't as "free" as you'd believe from the word itself. However the free anniversary Odyssey and Bortas took what? 5 mins at max? That was free indeed.

And it is great. I still use the free Oddy. I find it is the best beam cruiser there is (of course, the C-Store variants are even better, but I just never needed them; I'll get the bundle on the next sale, if I have spare Zen).

Honestly I don't care if they'll put a better version in the C-Store (at least it should be account wide and useful for possible future toons) as long as I get a good enough ship for playing a mission.

Republic Veteran
# 16
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
I agree that the Breen ship wasn't as "free" as you'd believe from the word itself. However the free anniversary Odyssey and Bortas took what? 5 mins at max? That was free indeed.
And that 5 minutes included if you had to stop for a restroom break inbetween. Seriously, that was the easiest cakewalk of a mission I have ever seen.

And what do you expect. You (well not the person I am quoting, but the person they are replying to) act like Cryptic making money is some sinister thing. It is a business, It has to make money or it closes its doors and no more STO.

From what I remember of the free Oddyssey, it was a good ship, but no bells and whistles. OK stats for what it was, ok BOFF lay out, and no special consoles. And everyone at the time pretty much knew there was going to be a C-store variant, just like now with the Ambassador.
Captain
# 17
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
And that 5 minutes included if you had to stop for a restroom break inbetween. Seriously, that was the easiest cakewalk of a mission I have ever seen.

And what do you expect. You (well not the person I am quoting, but the person they are replying to) act like Cryptic making money is some sinister thing. It is a business, It has to make money or it closes its doors and no more STO.

From what I remember of the free Oddyssey, it was a good ship, but no bells and whistles. OK stats for what it was, ok BOFF lay out, and no special consoles. And everyone at the time pretty much knew there was going to be a C-store variant, just like now with the Ambassador.
I never meant to imply making money was "sinister", rather, I was stating that THIS ship, of a certain class, once the monetized version comes out, will never see a dime from me.

essentially, it goes back to knowing your market-we have some of the best cruisers in the game-as in not a single 'dog' among them (except the last pay-to-own, the Bortasque, which still manages to have a fanbase in spite of glaring defects).

i.e. we do NOT have a shortage of good, effective, cruisers, proportionally, in fact, we have a surplus of good cruisers to choose from, and frankly if the choice is a fifty-dollar cruiser triple pack that's a clone of the Ambassador, but with cannons and a standard cloak, I'm sorry, but I'll spend my money elsewhere-and there are those feel the same, though maybe not so vocal as myself.

Which is not denigrating the motive of making money-as you said, cryptic IS a business. If anything, my view is that it's a business that is making a poor business decision by neglecting the 'second faction' of their game-because KDF DO spend money-anyone that doesn't believe THAT should count the lockbox ships over Qo'Nos sometime, or look at how much stir and fury comes up over the idea of Fed Battlecloaks or plasmonic leech.

What we do not do, is WASTE money-as in buying things we don't actually want, won't actually use, or aren't all that interested in.

Which is where WE are a market that differs, somewhat, from the Fed markets they normally pursue.

"Quality" and "Distinctiveness", can ya dig it?
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
Considering the fact that the K'Vort was basically an oversized B'Rel, introducing it into the game would be kind of confusing. I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic just made something of a K'Vort refit, that has the Yesterday's Enterprise's KDF ship silhouette, but the overall design is brand new for the game (like what they're supposedly doing with Andorian ship).

In any case, it's gonna be a battlecruiser - less HP than Ambassador, but with cloak and dual cannons.
I'll be honest, I never liked the idea of the K'vort being a supersized B'rel. And in-game, the size of the B'rel is really the size what the K'vort would be.

I think to make a K'vort less like a super-sized B'rel is stretch it out, lengthwise. Increase the wingspan, and flatten out the "humps" of the engineering section and have the wings perma-locked in the up position.
Captain
# 19
01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
I never meant to imply making money was "sinister", rather, I was stating that THIS ship, of a certain class, once the monetized version comes out, will never see a dime from me.

essentially, it goes back to knowing your market-we have some of the best cruisers in the game-as in not a single 'dog' among them (except the last pay-to-own, the Bortasque, which still manages to have a fanbase in spite of glaring defects).

i.e. we do NOT have a shortage of good, effective, cruisers, proportionally, in fact, we have a surplus of good cruisers to choose from, and frankly if the choice is a fifty-dollar cruiser triple pack that's a clone of the Ambassador, but with cannons and a standard cloak, I'm sorry, but I'll spend my money elsewhere-and there are those feel the same, though maybe not so vocal as myself.

Which is not denigrating the motive of making money-as you said, cryptic IS a business. If anything, my view is that it's a business that is making a poor business decision by neglecting the 'second faction' of their game-because KDF DO spend money-anyone that doesn't believe THAT should count the lockbox ships over Qo'Nos sometime, or look at how much stir and fury comes up over the idea of Fed Battlecloaks or plasmonic leech.

What we do not do, is WASTE money-as in buying things we don't actually want, won't actually use, or aren't all that interested in.

Which is where WE are a market that differs, somewhat, from the Fed markets they normally pursue.

"Quality" and "Distinctiveness", can ya dig it?
I wouldn't mind buying something like a Vor'cha from the C-Store, if it looks good. Simply because I like the idea of being able to discharge a ship to make room without loosing it completely (unlike the mirror vor'chas I use now, or the Fleet Vor'chas I may get in the future). If you think about it, there's no such thing in the C-Store as of now.

So again, I'm fine with a free ship (that may be good on its own) as well as with a subsequent C-Store variation on it.

Off topic: Do all of the C-Store odysseys come with that terribly ugly Aquarius stuffed "behind" (not the console, just the skin of the rear part of secondary hull) ?

EDIT: Oh, btw, that's actually what I'm battling for, finally having C-Store versions of Klingon designed Tier 5 ships, as in raptors, battlecruisers and raiders. Only raiders have the somewhat special B'rel. The Bortas'Qu isn't a true battlecruiser because of its turn rate.

Last edited by toiva; 01-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I kinda hope the anniversary ship is a multiracial design of all the members of the KDF......

I have no idea what this would look like. A spacefaring bird/spider/fish/potato/carrier?
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 4-4-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.