Starfleet Veteran
The reputation system has changed the dynamic of character progression in STO. While there are certain things that could be tweaked to enhance or streamline the user experience (having to run back to a starbase to replicate hyposprays? In stacks of 20? I'm looking at you.), I think that there's a huge potential to do very cool things with the system.

Specifically, reputation systems could really help distinguish each faction in terms of tier bonuses, equipment rewards, and gameplay.

Right now, there are a few differences between Federation and Klingon gameplay, but to me they seem fairly cosmetic. Sure, Klingons can grind dilithium more quickly, there are different ships and races involved, and a few missions are unique to each faction... but there could be a lot more done to distinguish them.

While I'd love to see a fully fleshed-out Klingon faction (and a Romulan faction, but that's another argument entirely), reputation could help to add flavor and distinction to both factions in a much shorter timeframe.

The idea would be to give the factions distinct bonuses and equipment that fit the flavor of the faction in question, as well as provide an alternative to fleet and stf content at high levels. So, those of you who prefer not to join a fleet or constantly fight the borg would finally have access to some of the game's most interesting gear. Below are a few ideas to get the ball rolling.

Federation bonuses and gear

-Provide primarily defensive, exploratory, and diplomatic passive bonuses.

-Space gear includes new sets exemplifying some of the "hero" ships we've seen in the shows and movies:
*A Galaxy-class inspired set, with a special non-consumable device, a burst-fire photon torpedo launcher, and a unique console. Emphasis on tanking and team buffing. Noncombat bonus to Diplomacy CXP.
*A Defiant-class inspired set, with a beam turret that benefits from CRF and CSV, a dual quantum torpedo launcher, and a special armor console. Emphasis on hitting hard and maneuvering.
*An Intrepid-class inspired set, with an impulse engine, a shield, and a navigational deflector. Emphasis on crowd control, speed, and science powers.
*A Sovereign-class inspired set, with a rapid fire quantum torpedo (think the Romulan hyper plasma launcher, but with quantums), a special console, and a heavy beam array. Emphasis on durability and debuffing. 3-piece set might grant a reconnaissance-by-fire ability.
-Ground gear includes new sets and equipment exemplifying some of the "hero" archetypes in the shows and movies.

Klingon bonuses and gear

-Provide primarily offensive, speed, and military passive bonuses.

-Space gear includes new sets exemplifying some of the "hero" ships, as well as some of the non-Klingon races in the Empire.
*A bird-of-prey inspired set, with a special console, dual heavy cannons, and a photon torpedo launcher with bonus shield penetration. Emphasis on stealth and shield penetration. (think "Generations")
*A battlecruiser inspired set, with a dual beam bank, a special console, and a wide-angle photon torpedo launcher. Emphasis on enemy immobilization. (See this article for inspiration.)
*A Gorn inspired set, with a special console, a high-power disruptor turret, and a plasma mine launcher. Emphasis on damage over time and laying traps.
*An Orion inspired set, with a beam array, a new interceptor type, and a special console. Emphasis on confusion and redirecting enemy fire. Noncombat bonus to Marauding CXP.
-Ground gear includes new sets and equipment exemplifying some of the "hero" archetypes in the shows, as well as race-themed gear. Suggestions have included a Targ handler kit.

The end goal of these reputation projects would be to equip factions with equipment, skill, and gameplay elements that would *feel* unique and useful, as well as adding a good deal of IP-friendly Trekness.

Thoughts? I will update this post periodically, as I receive new feedback and ideas from others.

Additional thoughts on ground gear for the proposed faction reputation system can be found here.

Last edited by whatinblueblazes; 01-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Not a bad idea by itself, but since the give us a MACO set with the bonus and the stats of the KHG, and a KHG set with the bonus and stats of the MACO set, i think faction diversity wasn't on the mind of the devs when the made the reputation system
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah I'd agree that giving those cross-faction sets was an odd choice. I think that part of the reason why more people don't play KDF is because it doesn't currently offer a drastically different gameplay experience. I really think that they are underestimating a great opportunity to diversify the player base.

Then again, if enough people get on board with something like this as the start to a fully fleshed-out and diverse series of factions with different and fun game mechanics, the devs will almost certainly reconsider.
Rihannsu
# 4
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I would stear away from Engines, deflectors, and shields in the sets for the reason that those are already covered by the STF sets, unless like in your intrepid set you have all three.

Other than that, sounds cool, I'd drop the dilithium for it. Just some additional suggestions.

The Galaxy set, maybe have a bonus to DOFFing and/or diplomacy, since half of TNG was about either people going off on their own or something diplomatic.

The defiant set, maybe instead of a DHC, a beam turret so along with the Quad heavy cannons from the C store ship and the dual quantums you can build an almost exact replica.

The ground sets, oh the possibilities. Like finally adding in TNG/movie weapons.

Maybe a FED EVA suit set, with phaser rifle and shield, would be nice. But since the C-store ones exists, probably wouldn't happen.

Being silly, how about a Kirk set. When you equip it, your uniform becomes ripped or the top is removed (males only) and you gain the ability to never die, only stunned for increasingly longer periods. Or the ability to fire a bow and arrow or rocks or something.

Or KDF side, being serious, a Trag Handler set, with the ability to spawn targs, or one for gorns for their pets. Or a two weapon set that gives you amassive bonus to resist ranged weapons fire, but one of the weapons you have to carry is a weak disruptor pistol and the other is a bat'leth, so if you stay ranged, you do weak damange, but you have the resistances to rush into melee.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post
I would stear away from Engines, deflectors, and shields in the sets for the reason that those are already covered by the STF sets, unless like in your intrepid set you have all three.

The Galaxy set, maybe have a bonus to DOFFing and/or diplomacy, since half of TNG was about either people going off on their own or something diplomatic.

The defiant set, maybe instead of a DHC, a beam turret so along with the Quad heavy cannons from the C store ship and the dual quantums you can build an almost exact replica.
These are good suggestions, and I'll edit the original post with these and others that I receive. The beam turret is a particularly cool idea, particularly if it were also to benefit from Rapid Fire.

I actually really like your ideas for ground sets. I didn't want to go overboard with the initial idea. I can see a Kirk set that unlocks a barechested costume option for males, hahaha. There could be an ability to build a bamboo cannon to automatically gank the nearest Gorn...

The Targ Handler (or Attack Saur Handler option, maybe?) for Klingons would be actually really cool and different from the existing options. I think ground skills are one area where the game could really stand to be differentiated between factions. Aside from easy balancing, what real reason is there for each faction to have identical kits for each faction? It really doesn't lend itself to having cool and distinct asymmetrical (but equivalent) factions.
Lieutenant
# 6
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Incredibly cool idea OP.

I would grind through a whole reputation system just to have those torpedo's, not only is this a cool idea OP it's got trek written all over it.

Funny coincidence me and a fleet mate where just talking about a rapid fire Quantum torpedo launcher.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzroy View Post
Incredibly cool idea OP.
Aw, thanks .

The idea came about from just watching the way the Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher works. The volleys of three are pretty spot-on perfect for how the torpedoes seem to fire in First Contact.

Then I thought about the many MANY threads I've seen about canon builds, and the way both factions seem to play so similarly with a few exceptions. This seems like the quickest and most cost-effective way for Cryptic to begin remedying some of these latent issues. I think that people would seriously get into these. I know that I certainly would.

I'd also be really excited to see what ideas people have for ground sets or new kits.
Captain
# 8
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
From the other perspective, what groups would be interesting to have reputation content for?

My thoughts:
Starfleet Corps of Engineers (go go Bynars!)

Various absorbed militias within KDF...

(Mind you, these would be faction-specific reputation groups)
Career Officer
# 9
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I, for one, have seen nothing here I didn't like!

I know Cryptic isn't big on the whole faction-specific content anymore, but the KDF and Federation sides have gotten just too similar. Using faction-specific reputation tracks to at least change up their playstyles a bit, should make for different experiences, and more reason for people to want to try both. (Although admittedly, some of that has to be present before a month long grind for that to really work.) And best of all, there's something to get to T5 in that I'll actually use. (I am not putting Romulan junk on my ship. I've done the lore missions. I know that stuff is loaded with viruses! Plus, I like to leave the proper energy signature. Some of us take pride in our work, you know. Not going to let some Romulan take credit.)

For the ground side, I'd like to see them redo some high-mk weapons with mk I skins, or create new variations thereof. The mk I skins are the only ones that look even a little bit like the ones on the show. After that, every two marks they start growing, until the devs ran out of imagination at mk XI. (Or perhaps they looked upon what bloated monstrocity they'd wrought in their pursuit of design evolution and despaired before a horror that would drive H.R. Giger mad! It's a coinflip.)
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 01-14-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
The other faction-specific groups or sub-factions present other interesting possibilities. I envision at least some of these being career- and faction-specific. For example:

A Fed engineer player might have access to the Starfleet Corps of Engineers reputation track, while his Klingon counterpart might use the Klingon Engineering Guild (or another more fitting name).

These might be mini-reputation tracks, offering things like unique kits, ground weapons, and duty officers, as well as passive bonuses to CXP progress in the appropriate fields, etc.

I'd also enjoy seeing a couple of mini-reputation tracks focusing on the major races in the IP, like the Vulcans, Andorians and so on for the Feds, or the Gorn, Orion, and so on for the Klingons. These would be career-neutral but faction-specific, and they could offer unique kits, ground and space weapons, and bridge/duty officers. Maybe a costume unlock at the top tier?

I wonder, however, at what point there would be too many concurrent reputation projects. I think part of the key would be to balance the kinds of resources needed for each of them, and to ensure that not all of the reputation tracks are as major an undertaking as the Romulan and Omega reputations.

So with that said, how does a structure like this sound:

Reputation Tab

Faction-Specific
Federation or Klingon faction reputation, as outlined in OP (5 Tiers)
Major species reputation sub-tracks, ie Vulcan, Orion (3 tiers?)

Storyline
Omega Force (5 tiers)
New Romulus (5 tiers)
Others that will inevitably develop from the STO storyline, as hinted at by DStahl: Tholians? Iconians?

Personal
Career-oriented reputation projects: (3 tiers)
Starfleet Security/Klingon Honor Guard
Starfleet Corps of Engineers/Klingon Engineering Guild
Starfleet Research/Klingon Hall of Science
PvP Reputation (5 tiers)
Crafting Reputation (5 tiers)

Last edited by whatinblueblazes; 01-14-2013 at 06:16 PM.