Republic Veteran
# 31
01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
The great thing about star trek is it does not matter the class ship you are in....The original Enterprise and Enterprise D would both be at a disadvantage against V'ger, or The Fesarius ...when exploring the unknown, you will meet Aliens that are so advance you might as well be in a paper star ship.

Captain
# 32
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't get what is so "Classic" about these old ships, for all the raving I read about the Ambassador class, I'm glad it made one appearance on TV then went off to be promptly destroyed.
We are supposed to be in the 25th century, not only in TNG's future but TOS's far future, these old designs were abandoned in favor of the more solid streamlined designs we have for a reason and I for one want to see more futuristic designs consistent with the era we are supposed to be in, rather than a fixation with dusting off some rusty old Model T for the sake of "Nostalgia".
I'm sure there will be people who want to fly around in single nacelle TOS destroyers or a Ptolemy class Space Tug (which were never actually shown in the series), I won't be one of them, especially if it's something I'm expected to buy with real money.
Captain
# 33
01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I love the Ambassador class.

The glowy white sensor dome, the domed bussard collectors, and the nacelles that seem kinda cylindrical (even though they really aren't) all remind me of the TOS Connie. The secondary hull, and the deflector, remind me of the movie Connie. Then there is the classic circular saucer.

It's supposed to be a halfway point between the Galaxy and Excelsior, but that's nonsense; might have been true for the original concept design, but not the final model. Aside from the ribbing on the neck, and the straight pylons, there is nothing of the Excelsior in this design. What it is is a Connie tribute dressed up in a TNG costume; and I, like many long time Star Trek fans of the day, saw it and thought 'That is SO COOL!'. It was a nostalgia trip even on its first appearance; never mind in STO.

So I love it, and I want one; always have. And since we already have the even older Excelsior in T5, I won't feel in the least bit like I'm flying a pointless obsolete relic; I'll just be flying a ship that, for me, represents two generations of Trek in a single tidy package.

I've been on a break from STO for a while; but I'm sure making a return for this.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 34
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I don't get what is so "Classic" about these old ships, for all the raving I read about the Ambassador class, I'm glad it made one appearance on TV then went off to be promptly destroyed.
We are supposed to be in the 25th century, not only in TNG's future but TOS's far future, these old designs were abandoned in favor of the more solid streamlined designs we have for a reason and I for one want to see more futuristic designs consistent with the era we are supposed to be in, rather than a fixation with dusting off some rusty old Model T for the sake of "Nostalgia".
I'm sure there will be people who want to fly around in single nacelle TOS destroyers or a Ptolemy class Space Tug (which were never actually shown in the series), I won't be one of them, especially if it's something I'm expected to buy with real money.
If you don't like it, that is fine. But some people like to restore classic cars. Are they wrong?

I think using the old ships can be seen as like that. Some what the newest, shiniest hotrod, and some like classic cars.

Above all, this is a game. People should be free to play it as they wish. If you want to fly a 2409 design, Good for you. Enjoy it. If someone wants to fly and older ship because they loved it from the shows, I don't see how that is hurting you any, so you should let them.
Career Officer
# 35
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragestroke008 View Post
The t.v series may not have been about combat, but this game is. If you like the old designs, fine, but this game is set in Trek's future. Can you imagine how well Enterprise A would fare against the Undine? Logic dictates more futuristic designs, not less.
The first excelsior class ships were produced around the same time the Constitution class was first refitted. The refitted excelsior class ships were as powerful if not more powerful than the Defiant class ships.

And the Defiant class ships were not the most powerful in the federation, but they certainly were very useful against the Dominion and the Borg, so if the Excelsior can be upgraded to be similarly useful, why not the Constitution?

People want to fly them, so use your imagination. It is easier to believe than the plot of the last Star Trek movie.
Career Officer
# 36
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post

I do not think the designs were abandoned. The TNG tech manual says the Galaxy heavily incorporated lessons learned and technology created for the Ambassador class.

Furthermore, Ambassador classes were still in widespread use in the 24th century, so they would probably still be in use in the 25th century.