Captain
# 21
01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
This is so awesome, I must have been sleeping on the last one. The time is highly questionable for me, it's going to be 50/50 whether I can make it, but if it's physically possible I will be there.

I'm excited to pew with a bunch of my favorite people in a low stakes environment. This reminds me of that thing I used to have in video games before I became a meta-gaming min/maxxer... what was it called... oh yeah, "fun!"
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker03 View Post
But why? Nebula, Intrepid and the Nova were all active during the war.
My guess is because there is no sci ship that is klingon, cardassian or jem'hadar.

Veranus is not true to canon... (Never thought I would ever say that on the PvP forums.)

.The Spanish Inquisition.
TSI -- Star Trek Online PvP Vidoes (Youtube) -- www.BabyEra.com
/channel_join OrganizedPVP If you are interested in learning PVP, looking for a team, or a private match.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
i'll take part on the dominions side
Captain
# 24
01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumapp View Post
My guess is because there is no sci ship that is klingon, cardassian or jem'hadar.

Veranus is not true to canon... (Never thought I would ever say that on the PvP forums.)
Mostly correct!

I also like to think the federation wouldn't send science vessels to the active front line of combat.

Maybe when I have my "VOYAGER wars" well see those pesky science ships
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 25
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
The Prometheus test (Voyager message in a bottle) was season 4. It was under testing before the DS9 epsiode In the Pale Moonlight, as it is stated the Romulans have not yet joined the Dominion war. During that episode, there are a pair of Defiant class ships seen in full operation. So Defiant class ships were in full oepration during the dominion war. Weither the Prometheus was or not is debateable, as one was never seen again until Voyager got home well after the war ended. But at least the prototype was built and operational in the war.

That episode also featured a Nebula class, so they were still in operation. And the Intrepid Bellaraphon was in use during the latter stages of the war.

This sounds fun. I'd love to take part in my breen ship, but the time is way wrong for me. I'm GMT. But have fun everyone.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 26
01-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
Mostly correct!

I also like to think the federation wouldn't send science vessels to the active front line of combat.

Are we speaking about these nebulas with torpedo mission pods ? Nebulas did actively participate in dominion war and are clearly visible in DS9 series during several battles. /fanboyism off.
Career Officer
# 27
01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumapp View Post

The only possibly science heavy ship we can use here is Klingon. The B'rel.

Quote:
Mostly correct!

Hmmm, so that's why they sent all those awesome Mirandas instead? Dalnar is correct though, there are some Nebulas seen and also mentioned as active front line ships. Well, I'm out, but lots of fun to everyone.
-----------------------
decker999
Commander
# 28
01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Ignore me, I need to learn to read. Someone already brought up my concern regarding the MVAM.

Quote:
Well, the Dominion War was all or nothing. They threw EVERYTHING they had at the war effort, even their old ships the pulled out of the closet. They were breaking the prime directive out of desperation, trying to conscript underdeveloped civilizations as meat shields and servicemen to replace the massive losses they were taking. I imagine if they had pure science vessels which were mostly used for peace but had defensive systems, they'd have thrown them at the brick wall to try to break it.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403

Last edited by radkip; 01-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Captain
# 29
01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Mostly correct!

That's not entirely true. STO classifies them as purely science vessels, but from the source material that's not accurate at all. The Intrepid is a long range scout vessel designed to also be usable as a fast recon ship. The Nebula is described as being a multi-role ship capable of performing all sorts of missions (point of interest, it's a Nebula that exposed Romulan involvement in the Romulan civil war not by science, but by shooting things). The closest of the three to a "pure science" ship was the Nova, which was designed as a planetary scout ship, but still carried a pretty hefty tactical loadout for a ship it's size.
Captain
# 30
01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Neither side has access to a cmdr science spot unless you're in the super fragile Brel.

That's the reason no nebulas or other science ships. Both sides have equal access to a lt cmdr science slot.

As I've said, either take part in one of the listed ships or wait for a themed event that has your favorite ship listed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?