Starfleet Veteran
Ok so I have been thinking about this ever since I heard about the upcoming level cap increase. Simply put, will this make all of my Z-Store VA ships useless? Or will some of them be re-specked to the new endgame lvl? Also where is a post/interview that the devs actually talk about the new cap?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
lol and I just noticed my mistake in the title. >.<
Commander
# 3
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
As I said in the other thread, there will most likely be new tier 6 ships, but the tier 5 ships will more than likely remain viable at the new level cap similar to how tier 4 ships are now.
Captain
# 4
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
From this month's Ask Cryptic

Quote:
Q: (larsh1) Will there be anything to make use of our ships in Spacedock? I have a whole fleet of unused craft now since I only play with a select 3. I would enjoy being able to send these ships on doff missions, or have them as extra help on missions.

Dstahl: We are looking at some future designs for the DOFF system that may be quite similar to what you are suggesting. In general, we want Admiral level players to make good use of the ships they have in space dock and send them out on missions. Expect more discussion about this later in 2013.
So assuming that there is a level cap increase and Tier 6 ships, then Tier 5 ships will still get some use either by some new system based on duty officer assignments or taking your currently inactive ships into combat with you. IMO, it would be better than the current system where we can only use one ship and our shipyard is full of inactive ships. Admirals are the only ones that can command Tier 6 ships, but Bridge Officers that have been promoted to Captain can pilot Tier 5 and Tier 5.5 ships. This way the ships that we currently have will not be useless with a level cap increase and see more use than they are getting now.
Career Officer
# 5
01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I would not presume that a level increase will result in a new breed of ships at all. Up until now we have had the T5 ships and refits available in store all with 9 console slots as that was the Admiral standard.

With the introduction of the fleet system the ships have boosted hulls and shields along with 10 console slots, so who is to say that is not actually the T6 standard? To that end the current T5 and T5.5 ships will stay just as effective on a level cap increase as they are already. Permission to buy the next rank of ships is not something which they have to give if it goes to 60.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Commander
# 6
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I would not presume that a level increase will result in a new breed of ships at all. Up until now we have had the T5 ships and refits available in store all with 9 console slots as that was the Admiral standard.

With the introduction of the fleet system the ships have boosted hulls and shields along with 10 console slots, so who is to say that is not actually the T6 standard? To that end the current T5 and T5.5 ships will stay just as effective on a level cap increase as they are already. Permission to buy the next rank of ships is not something which they have to give if it goes to 60.
They have said that the reason why we haven't seen certain classes of ships is because they want to wait until they raise the level cap to full admiral before releasing them.

This alone suggests a plan for a new tier of ships.
Captain
# 7
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
They have said that the reason why we haven't seen certain classes of ships is because they want to wait until they raise the level cap to full admiral before releasing them.

This alone suggests a plan for a new tier of ships.
Example: Typhoon.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 8
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Only thing missing on the current Fleet ships and store ships with 10 consoles is an extra console ability. Typhoon could easily fall in that category.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Captain
# 9
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Because of the addition of ships and their expense, this situation is quite different from increasing the level cap for a game like WoW which is ground only.

My own concerns would be set aside if Cryptic would state plainly that the new "super ships" are no better than the currently available Fleet ships.

In fact, I personally believe that NO new equipment should be added above the MK XII gear currently available. Make the new levels simply about a few new features (like assigning old ships to promoted boffs and more skill points) and nothing else. There should be steadily diminishing returns as you approach the top anyway. Little differences mean a great deal of difference at the high-end.