Career Officer
# 21
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Give hull 75% resistances to energy weapons?
Captain
# 22
01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
For photons, Doffs have certainly made their rate of fire less attractive. The PSW torp console used to only apply to photon torps, so they lost this advantage. The Borg weapon proc is gone, so for PvE they lost the advantage of 1k free damage.

Irrc, (and it's been a long time since I looked @ them, so please correct me if I'm wrong) Photon torps have a high potential (compared to other torps) to kill crew. If this is actually correct this is the only reason I can think to use photonic torps over others for torp builds. For non torp builds that don't use Torp doffs the RoF advantage may still be worthwhile for spam clearing combined w/CVS&TS.

Cronts imo are fine. Their job is to reduce target's movement and they do that. Given how many pets launch them, I'd prefer they not get boosted.

Pengs are fine imo.

Plasma and Trics don't need a buff (I realized you excluded them, just being thorough).

Transphasics imo are fine (especially given storyline Torp/Mines).

Given the CritH boost, I don't see Quants needing a boost tbh.

For me this just leaves Photon Torps needing a look at. Given the amount of pet spam that uses them, I'd be cautious of boosting them too much. If they don't have an advantage in killing crew, give them that niche. Then they could be used w/builds that go after power systems in synergy which would help Fed Sci ships out at least.
Empire Veteran
# 23
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
i made a thread a wile back about converting all torps to an omega torp like system with the charges and stuff. in it photons were the most rapid fire, and had the most charges. sure their damage was lackluster, but in a system like that they could be made appealing for volume of fire.

currently, theres no way to make photons relevant at all. the closest thing they could do is make photons fly fast and quantums fly slow. its silly that quantums have all upsides and no downsides. fireing rate is irreverent, its all about delivering HYs at the perfect moment, not their dps, because they are worthless unless they hit hull.

edit~

oh! i got it! give EVERY ship innate photon torpedo launchers! the damage scales with you, you just always have them regardless if you don't slot any torps. but if you equip a quantum, or anything other more advanced torp, that photon is disabled and it costs you a weapon slot to use that other torp. see, the photon sucks so much it would never be worth a weapons slot, so they should just give us one. its blatantly uncanon for a ship to not be fireng at least photons, but thats what most ships are forced to do, run no torps.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus

Last edited by dontdrunkimshoot; 01-16-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Captain
# 24
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
You know what else is silly... is the hack job fix they got in the form of doffs. I mean they got rid of the old 3 second global on launchers... and introed torp doffs almost alone with.

Every other doff of the same type reduce cool downs on the BOFF skills for that dmg type... accept torps... no they basicly make torps function properly... Torp doffs are the biggest joke in this game the more I think about it... they are a doff that basicly corrects a basic flaw in the game design... they don't add to anything... they basicly make torps work as they should.

I would agree that if cryptic wasn't lazy / cheep... they would implement a proper ammo system ala the omega torp... and torp doffs would reduce cool downs on HY and Spread patterns as they should.
Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
Captain
# 25
01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
You know what else is silly... is the hack job fix they got in the form of doffs. I mean they got rid of the old 3 second global on launchers... and introed torp doffs almost alone with.

Every other doff of the same type reduce cool downs on the BOFF skills for that dmg type... accept torps... no they basicly make torps function properly... Torp doffs are the biggest joke in this game the more I think about it... they are a doff that basicly corrects a basic flaw in the game design... they don't add to anything... they basicly make torps work as they should.

I would agree that if cryptic wasn't lazy / cheep... they would implement a proper ammo system ala the omega torp... and torp doffs would reduce cool downs on HY and Spread patterns as they should.
It's not even remotely impossible the Omega torp's ammo hopper is a testbed for a similar change down the road. Don't all these new systems and gadgets have a... an experimental quality to them, this season?

[EDIT]

And yes, I mean experimental beyond the occasionally quirky bits we tend to see with updates and new bits added to the game.
Empire Veteran
# 26
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post

thats my exact opinoin of them as well. an unbuffed torp launch should be 3 or 4 torps too, not a single torp. there is everything wrong with torps in game
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Empire Veteran
# 27
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Buff torpedoes?

Of course. I'd love to do more damage with my B'rel.

Career Officer
# 28
01-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Buff torpedoes?

Of course. I'd love to do more damage with my B'rel.
Ask Hus about his plasma torp build. The thing is nasty.
Commander
# 29
01-17-2013, 12:44 AM
My take would be to have all torpedos work as follows:

Torpedo damage roll - current facing shields strength = damage to hull

ALL torpedos have a secondary explosion which deals an additional 10% hull damage, based on the damage as calculated by previous equation

Bleedthrough damage is treated the same way

FOR PHOTONS SPECIFICALLY:

Use the Omega Torpedo Launcher Ammo system for Photon Torpedos, with a SLIGHTLY lower fire rate (1.5 - 2 seconds, instead of 1 second)
((my reasoning for Omega still being faster, is that Reputation gear is supposed to be the best in game, therefore the Omega Torpedo Launcher should be clearly the most powerful torpedo launcher, which, if used well, it currently is))

So .. to clarify ... launch a torpedo against a full shield facing, nothing would be different than it currently is. Launch it against a nearly failed shield facing and get some extra oomph.
Career Officer
# 30
01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
I agree about the effect of crew disable/kills.

Else photon torps are only (and best) usable in reducing cooldowns of high damege torps when using the torpedo doffs.

On other thing I was wondering:

How do the bleedthrough and -75% damage reduction work together.

When a torpedo hits shields, will first the damage be reduced with 75% and will the remaining 25% have a bleedthrough of 10%? Or the other way around? Thus in numbers:

Quantum with 10000 damage when hitting shield:

7500 is reduced, thus shields take -2250 impact and hull take -250 from bleedthrough?
or
hull takes 1000 from bleedthrough, and shields take 0.25*-9000 = 2250?

See the difference in hull damage...