Captain
# 21
01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
I say the same thing about the new Star Trek films, they look like BattleStar Galactica and feel like Star Wars... so in my world it isn't Star Trek.
That being said I think it was still a GREAT film and the upcoming sequel looks it too so I've moved on and not let the rain in my world stop me enjoying them.

Oh and to me, Sierra is Trekkie, but on the other hand I don't see how they evolved from the uniforms in ST:Nemesis.
Like with the Jupitor Uniforms, I don't see the evolution but they are beautiful!... Perfect for the Terran Empire too!
They don,t have to evolve. Look at the TMP uniform it just came out of nowhere and then by TWOK the uniform was completely different again. My beef with the in game uniforms was how noticeable the seams were. TheTng uniform "unzips" with no noticeable lines in the uniform. It utilizes some unexplained technology (My guess in nano technology) to unzip or zip the uniform so perfectly there is no gaps or lines. When I first saw this games uniforms they looked like a step backwards.

Also I must ask where do you get to see Odyssey uniforms???
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 22
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
They don,t have to evolve. Look at the TMP uniform it just came out of nowhere and then by TWOK the uniform was completely different again. My beef with the in game uniforms was how noticeable the seams were. TheTng uniform "unzips" with no noticeable lines in the uniform. It utilizes some unexplained technology (My guess in nano technology) to unzip or zip the uniform so perfectly there is no gaps or lines. When I first saw this games uniforms they looked like a step backwards.
There's "out of nowhere" and "this looks like a different franchise". Star Trek uniforms have always been made out of cloth and always had a clean look. The current ones have all these weird bits, folds and hexagons and as such look like rejected Mass Effect costumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Also I must ask where do you get to see Odyssey uniforms???
You have to get them via T3 Starbase.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 23
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah its all those extra bits that make the uniforms look backwards to me. The star trek uniform has hi tech properties why else are they able to beam down to frozen planets or other dangerous locations without any protection . You can blame JJ Trek for all the hexagons and stuff or if you want to go back further blame Sam Raimi's spider-man. I have mostly gotten used to some of the uniforms but all sewed on puffy bits and layered textures look backwards technologically compared to how simple uniforms were in the TNG era and beyond. Of course TNG series uniforms look crap in game too (for the opposite reason too little texture and definition )....

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 01-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Commander
# 24
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
There's "out of nowhere" and "this looks like a different franchise". Star Trek uniforms have always been made out of cloth and always had a clean look. The current ones have all these weird bits, folds and hexagons and as such look like rejected Mass Effect costumes.

You have to get them via T3 Starbase.
They look nothing like Mass Effect costumes. The old ST uniforms, while sleek, were... a bit silly, because they're not really utilitarian. The Antares and Sierra uniforms look like proper uniforms meant to get dirty, to keep you warm and relatively safe, etc.

The Antares uniforms that have the hexagons looks a lot like it's made of the same material current soccer shirts are made of, a really tough, highly resistant material. The Sierra uniforms seem to be made of some sort of leather synthetic. They look simple and utilitarian to me, not to mention elegant.

Please don't be such a hardcore grognard. The old Trek uniforms were somewhat pretty, but rather stupid. Starship engineers who are exposed to things like hot plasma etc don't wear protective clothes just because STarfleet makes them look good in their standard non-protective uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undyingzero View Post
They look nothing like Mass Effect costumes. The old ST uniforms, while sleek, were... a bit silly, because they're not really utilitarian. The Antares and Sierra uniforms look like proper uniforms meant to get dirty, to keep you warm and relatively safe, etc.

The Antares uniforms that have the hexagons looks a lot like it's made of the same material current soccer shirts are made of, a really tough, highly resistant material. The Sierra uniforms seem to be made of some sort of leather synthetic. They look simple and utilitarian to me, not to mention elegant.

Please don't be such a hardcore grognard. The old Trek uniforms were somewhat pretty, but rather stupid. Starship engineers who are exposed to things like hot plasma etc don't wear protective clothes just because STarfleet makes them look good in their standard non-protective uniforms.

I agree. where do you see a "Mass Effect" resmblenceb esides the shape? I like the Sierra uniforms. Though Jupitor now has it outclassed and may be outclass by the next gen. of unifroms like the Oddey.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
When it comes to hexagons on the uniform, on ships, or anywhere else in the game, I personally blame Champions Online.

Going back in time, when STO first launched -- the cover shield uses the exact same graphics as one of the forcefield blocking powers in Champions Online. Orange honeycomb hexagons. I kept expecting the cover shield graphic in STO to be changed -- basically I thought it was a placeholder that was using the Champions Online graphic.

But apparently it wasn't a placeholder. People in Star Trek use the exact same technology as they do in Champions Online (apparently).

And the orange honeycomb hexagons wasn't just for the cover shield, it was also for the forcefield bubble in the engie kits.

And it kind of just spread from there, like a disease. After a period of time, you saw the hexagons elsewhere. You saw it on uniforms. You saw it on the hull plating of ships with the MACO shield equipped. You saw it in the deflector effects. You saw hexagons in the asynchronous warp field of the MACO engines in sector space.

Hexagons everywhere. They've spread from what was originally a Champions Online visual effect that was ported over to Star Trek Online... to being a part of multiple technologies and clothing in this game.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Commander
# 27
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Would be interesting to see a rolled up sleeve option sold similar to the open jacket option.
Captain
# 28
01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Would be interesting to see a rolled up sleeve option sold similar to the open jacket option.
Agreed It wouldbe cool for science officers and engineers. I am mostly ok with the ingame uniforms some of the antares uniforms i dislike and im no big fan of the faux leather uniforms they are designed to look good in hd and they do.

Ensign
# 29
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undyingzero View Post

If you go and look up the current uniforms of the U.S. Navy's engineers, you will see that they wear simple cloth coveralls, with a t-shirt underneath, and black oil-resistant combat boots. The Navy's engineers in real life work with dangerous materials, hot oils, steam so highly pressurized it can cut you in half, fast moving parts of engines, etc. And yet an engineer's coveralls are made of a slightly thick cloth, and nothing more. In fact, the standard working uniform of all sailors on board today's ships are the NWU (cloth) camouflaged fatigues, or the blue (cloth) coveralls, with the same black boots. I guarantee you the working environment on today's Navy ships is far more hazardous than the clean, ergonomic, spacious interiors of Star Trek's starships. If the sailors in real life can make it wearing just cloth, so can the ones in Star Trek.
Captain
# 30
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
And Gordi in the films.
And Be'lanna Torres I believe. Plush she had a pocket for her engineering tool kit.